User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spec Ford F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel for max Payload for 5th wheel?

Spec Ford F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel for max Payload for 5th wheel towing

My 2nd post here.

I want to order a truck for 5th wheel towing. I would like a Ford F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel.

What would I to spec out to get the maximum payload possible?

I know gas would have more payload but want the Diesel.
    I know generally every that is added to the truck deducts from the payload.
    I know an XLT would have more payload that Lariat.

I am trying to figure out what would be the maximum the maximum payload I could get if I ordered a truck?
    Are there options that should be included?

A few items i would like to have:
    XLT trim deducts 64# payload
    Lariat deducts 91# payload
    5th wheel / goose neck deducts 108# payload
    Fx4 Skid plates deducts 58# payload

Do the options below help or hurt payload ?
    Camper package Yes or No?
    What size tires?
    11,400 package?
    Heavy Service front end?

For F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel what is the max payload I could get if ordering a truck?

Would Chevy or Ram provide a higher payload?
    Last edited by G-four; 06-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4x4 and Crew eat up payload. If you are working that hard to max out the payload, I’d just go for the long bed dually and stop worrying. It will have more payload and you won’t need a slider. With the short bed you’ll need a slider hitch in most cases which will chew up a lot of the payload you are working to save.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    4x4 and Crew eat up payload. If you are working that hard to max out the payload, I’d just go for the long bed dually and stop worrying. It will have more payload and you won’t need a slider. With the short bed you’ll need a slider hitch in most cases which will chew up a lot of the payload you are working to save.
    My wife and I like getting out and away from the crowds. While we may park the RV in campgrounds or go boon docking, we like to get out to more remote locations during the day which might include some off road and small trail heads. We have looked at the Solitude 310 and see that as being right on the edge of SRW. Next option is go to Reflection 337. We don’t plan to full time but will do months at a time.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-four View Post
    We have looked at the Solitude 310 and see that as being right on the edge of SRW.
    As long as you don't load the RV or truck up with a bunch of heavy items and travel with full tanks, an F-350 should have enough payload for the Solitude 310GK. The key is to not put 500lbs of tools in the truck and 2,500lbs of gear in the RV. I have a 2020 F-350 diesel and a 310GK-R and I'm within my payload specs. Yes, a DRW would take care of all payload issues but my last truck was a DRW and I prefer an SRW. Having said that, any Solitude other than the 310GK is DRW territory for me.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I like getting out and away from the crowds. While we may park the RV in campgrounds or go boon docking, we like to get out to more remote locations during the day which might include some off road and small trail heads. We have looked at the Solitude 310 and see that as being right on the edge of SRW. Next option is go to Reflection 337. We don’t plan to full time but will do months at a time.
    Have you considered a toy hauler with a side-by-side? Just tossing the idea.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 F350 7.3 gas Tremor has a payload of 3859 / 11,300. A non Tremor would have 200-250lbs of payload.
    I believe in 2020 Ford added more payload to all F250/F350 regardless of engine choice.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spec Ford F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel for max Payload for 5th wheel towing

My 2nd post here.

I want to order a truck for 5th wheel towing. I would like a Ford F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel. What would I to spec out to get the maximum payload possible?
    If you're looking at 2020 F350s, you will need to go with a long bed to get the maximum GVWR of 12,400 pounds.

I know gas would have more payload but want the Diesel. I know generally every that is added to the truck deducts from the payload. I know an XLT would have more payload that Lariat.
    Not generally, exactly. Payload isn't a rating, it's a calculation; GVWR minus the weight of the specific truck yields the "available payload". With the crew cab, long bed configuration you can get the maximum GVWR. Every comfort, convenience, safety or capability enhancing feature you add from that point on actually decreases your payload. Many fall in the trap of believing that the only way to measure the "capability" of a truck is to look at it's payload capacity. It is an important number but definitely not the only meaningful consideration. There are many capability enhancing features that diminish your payload capacity and the trade-off is well worth it.
    I am trying to figure out what would be the maximum payload I could get if I ordered a truck? Are there options that should be included?
    As previously stated, the diesel, CC, LB will have the maximum available 12,400 pound GVWR. Every added option will diminish your payload.
    A few items i would like to have:
    XLT trim deducts 64# payload
    Lariat deducts 91# payload
    5th wheel / goose neck deducts 108# payload
    Fx4 Skid plates deducts 58# payload
    These are such minimal impacts to payload, I would not worry about them too much. If these added features make your truck more capable or appealing to you in some way, get them. If not, leave them off and tack a few pounds on to your payload.
    Do the options below help or hurt payload?
    All options that add weight diminish payload.
    Camper package Yes or No?
    With 20" wheels it adds a piece of paper (certificate) to your glove box. With 18" wheels it adds a rear sway bar. This assumes nothing has changed for MY 2020...pretty sure it hasn't.
    What size tires?
    Whatever size doesn't have a negative impact on your GVWR.
    11,400 package?
    This is a paper derating of the default GVWR for license/registration reasons. That will really kill your payload sticker but have absolutely no impact on your truck from a mechanical standpoint.
    Heavy Service front end?
    Some believe this has a significant impact on ride quality when unloaded. That is obviously subjective. Probably not necessary unless you plan to add a front hitch.
    For F350 4x4 SRW Crew Cab Short Bed Diesel what is the max payload I could get if ordering a truck?
    These are just examples:
    Let's say a nicely equipped short bed weighs 7,700 pounds.
    11,500 GVWR
    -7,700 Pounds
    3,800 Pounds of available payload
    Let's say a nicely equipped long bed weighs 7,900 pounds
    12,500 GVWR
    -7,900 Pounds
    4,600 Pounds of available payload

I believe both of those trucks in the short bed configuration offer a higher GVWR than Ford's short bed.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with a 8' bed just to get the 48 gallon tank with the 176" WB. This is the same length as a crew cab dually and is a long truck for daily driving in tight areas...lucky I live in the country and not many places to squeeze into! Good luck with your decision!
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The exact number will be hard to get to. Your best bet is to find one spec-ed as close to what you what as possible on a lot and look at the sticker. As pointed out above its going to be GVWR - actual weight. The less options, the less weight.

Looks like the max GVWR of a 4x4 crew short are

Ford 11,500
    Ram 11,800
    GM 12,100

Gm will probably give you the most payload in a short bed. Ford derates the short bed the most for some reason, Ram also derates by quite a bit unless you get the mega cab/short which is the same as a crew/long, 12,300. GM only drops 150 from a long to short bed who know why!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW