Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealer told me not to use a soft start on my AC unit

I had my Imagine in for spring check over. I asked about installing a soft start on the AC unit. I was told that some AC units come with it already and they would check to see if our trailer already had it installed. When I picked the unit up, I was told the manager said they would not put one on because it would cause a lot of other problems. The manager was not working that day, and nobody knew for sure what problems I might encounter. So I am asking if anyone on the forum knows what problems I might run into installing a soft start, like the Micro Air Easy Start?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    I had my Imagine in for spring check over. I asked about installing a soft start on the AC unit. I was told that some AC units come with it already and they would check to see if our trailer already had it installed. When I picked the unit up, I was told the manager said they would not put one on because it would cause a lot of other problems. The manager was not working that day, and nobody knew for sure what problems I might encounter. So I am asking if anyone on the forum knows what problems I might run into installing a soft start, like the Micro Air Easy Start?
    I can't address whether there or are not issues that could arise by installing a soft start, but I will say - go ask a private RV service facility or a mobile tech. Most of us here have found service departments in dealerships to not be worth the trouble to use.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other regions (Australia) many of the brand's ship w/ them pre installed. I've never heard of an issue, but like any other problem, I'm sure some at some point might have had a problem. Of course as shoddy as some of the wiring is in general, who knows if true cause of a problem would be the soft start. If you want to put one on, it's very easy. I could guide you. Takes less than 40 min (at least on my Coleman brand)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=livinthelife;302062
    but I will say - go ask a private RV service facility or a mobile tech. Most of us here have found service departments in dealerships to not be worth the trouble to use.[/QUOTE] So true I would not bother with a service department, unless absolutely necessary, whatever I cannot fix, I call a mobile RV tech. To the OP, I have never heard of any issues being caused by a soft start being added to the AC units, I too am considering it and have been told by two mobile RV techs it would be of benefit to us. Also had a AC/heating and repair guy who serviced our house when we still owned it, suggest adding one. So I am skeptical of what you were told. The only problem I can for see is with a warranty if you are still covered, should something go wrong with your AC, you can bet right or wrong a dealer service department will try to deny the claim.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW