User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter Axle fire in the hub

While returning from a camping trip in Door County, WI, we had a brake hub catch fire. The mobile tech that helped us suspects that the brake actuator broke loose in the hub and jammed itself under the rear shoe. The first indicator I had was a dash warning message that the trailer brake was "disconnected". Of course I was on a two lane highway with no shoulder. While I was looking for a spot wide enough to pull over and check it out, I got a call from my in-laws who were following us that we had smoke coming out from under the left side of the trailer. I pulled over as far as I could and saw flames coming out of the brake adjustment hole in the hub. Used the Mini extinguisher supplied with the trailer plus two bottles of water to get it out. I am not sure what a fire extinguisher that small is good for but in our case it was barely adequate. Maybe 10-20 seconds. Lesson learned, we now carry two larger ones. One in the trailer and one in the truck. Many thanks to the Lord for watching over us and to the mobile tech who got us back on the road. Also many thanks to the Door County deputy that got us safely off the highway to wait for the mobile tech and to Grand Design Customer Service for an immediate warranty authorization to get us help.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8106 Brake Fire.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	27396Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8117 Brake Fire.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	27397
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it all turned out well (other than a little stress). This may be the first case I've ever seen where the trailer wiring warning was anything but a nuisance.

Do you have a TPMS for the trailer? Just curious if one can detect brake heat like that.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Glad it all turned out well (other than a little stress). This may be the first case I've ever seen where the trailer wiring warning was anything but a nuisance.

Do you have a TPMS for the trailer? Just curious if one can detect brake heat like that.
    Good thought, Not sure myself. Between the warning message and the smoke appearing, maybe 2 minutes tops. I am curious, anyone know if TPMS would have given me more time to react?
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out well. You might want to consider replacing the brake assembly on the opposite side of the same axle so the brakes wear evenly. I dont think its necessary to do the other axle though. You wouldn't replace a single wheel's brakes on your tow vehicle, you would do both sides, same concept.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Glad it worked out well. You might want to consider replacing the brake assembly on the opposite side of the same axle so the brakes wear evenly. I dont think its necessary to do the other axle though. You wouldn't replace a single wheel's brakes on your tow vehicle, you would do both sides, same concept.

Yes, you are correct. the trailer has about 1000 miles on it, so it is not so much uneven wear I am concerned about. I am concerned about how that particular axle was put together.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Yes, you are correct. the trailer has about 1000 miles on it, so it is not so much uneven wear I am concerned about. I am concerned about how that particular axle was put together.
    Great point. Might be worthwhile just to check all the other assemblies to be on the safe side. If you are not the DIY type, I'd be willing to bet GD would cover the cost based on what happened.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongly recommend the check of the other side, even other axle. we have a 2020 Solitude S 2930, about 5000 miles. Work camping in Pagosa Springs through September, so I decided to inspect brakes. First one apart had grease on brake shoes, so I called my contact at Grand Design, he sent four brake assemblies and seals. Went through same ordeal with 2014 Reflection twice. Grease is much better on Dexter axles. Strongly recommend inspect brakes, Dexter axles supposed to be much better but it relates to safety. Thanks all. Postscript- brake magnet should be at bottom of shoes, doesn't look right!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    Strongly recommend the check of the other side, even other axle. we have a 2020 Solitude S 2930, about 5000 miles. Work camping in Pagosa Springs through September, so I decided to inspect brakes. First one apart had grease on brake shoes, so I called my contact at Grand Design, he sent four brake assemblies and seals. Went through same ordeal with 2014 Reflection twice. Grease is much better on Dexter axles. Strongly recommend inspect brakes, Dexter axles supposed to be much better but it relates to safety. Thanks all. Postscript- brake magnet should be at bottom of shoes, doesn't look right!
    Yep, brake magnet was slightly out of place. I will follow up with Grand Design on Monday to see if they will authorize an inspection of at least the other side of the same axle. I don't have my rig so I can't check the serial numbers of the axles. If they are even close to sequential, I want they both checked.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    A TPMS sensor monitors temperature, but only at the valve stem - a proxy for tire and internal air temp. A hub fire would have to heat up the rim enough to raise the interior temp of the tire or the temp of the valve stem enough to set of the alarm. I don't know how long this would take or how extensive the fire would have to be.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A TPMS sensor monitors temperature, but only at the valve stem - a proxy for tire and internal air temp. A hub fire would have to heat up the rim enough to raise the interior temp of the tire or the temp of the valve stem enough to set of the alarm. I don't know how long this would take or how extensive the fire would have to be.

Rob
    I figure it will conduct through the hub and rim eventually. Was just hoping the OP had seen if there was an indication of temperature rise that might serve as a warning. Not thinking enough to trigger an alert, but maybe something to think about if there’s a “new” temperature difference between sensors on the same side.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast