User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best $60 I have spent on basement storage

We just bought our first Solitude and we faced the same issues with basement storage/ organizing as with our last camper. No mater what we tried it was always the same thing, grill on the bottom table and chairs stacked on top and the bean bag stuff stuffed in some place.

With this new camper we had more issues, more open storage space. I first came up with some thoughts of attaching 6-8” PVC pipe as tubes bolted to either the ceiling or the walls for the bag chairs to slide into. We figure that would help out. We went to the local big box hardware store and couldn’t find what we were looking for.

Last night I got to thinking what about using the ceiling storage you find in garages. I did a little looking around, I think it will work. Today we went back to the store. I found one and I think it will work it’s 45”x45”. We got home opened it up and started to look at the instructions knowing I was going to have to made some modifications to fit my needs. Surprisingly I didn’t have to change too much.

Instead of using both arms for the adjustment height I just used one. I didn’t use the lag bolts it came with I had some 1/4” x 1” self tapers into the aluminum ceiling. Everything was straight forward. It’s done wife loves it and we’re all happy. After I started to take a closer look I didn’t like how I had attached to brackets onto the aluminum tubes. It came with single point L brackets. I was worried the rocking would end up crack the aluminum and I would have more issues. So I changed out the hardware and added some “S” hooks to allow it to rock but not add stress to the tubes.

I think it’s a good mod. Wife said it was my best idea in a long time, hmm ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28AFFCA8-595E-4466-AC3C-098F7BFF4E75.jpeg 
Views:	431 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	27418
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2622EC9B-0637-4A0A-9729-68CD657B9BC6.jpeg   354D180F-E860-47A7-A338-E8B46D9E3109.jpeg   4F8F9248-E418-4354-8C25-35FF7571C274.jpeg  
    Last edited by Kensoko; 06-21-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie Long Horn short box, mega cab, SRW, HO with Aisin Tranny
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Thanks for posting.

Just one suggestion... maybe close the hooks on those S-hooks so they don't come loose while bouncing down the road. I kind of learned the hard way with some shelving I installed; I since installed some simple wire ties to hold things in place.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Nice job. Thanks for posting.

Just one suggestion... maybe close the hooks on those S-hooks so they don't come loose while bouncing down the road. I kind of learned the hard way with some shelving I installed; I since installed some simple wire ties to hold things in place.
    Thanks will do!
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kensoko View Post
    We just bought our first Solitude and we faced the same issues with basement storage/ organizing as with our last camper. No mater what we tried it was always the same thing, grill on the bottom table and chairs stacked on top and the bean bag stuff stuffed in some place.

With this new camper we had more issues, more open storage space. I first came up with some thoughts of attaching 6-8” PVC pipe as tubes bolted to either the ceiling or the walls for the bag chairs to slide into. We figure that would help out. We went to the local big box hardware store and couldn’t find what we were looking for.

Last night I got to thinking what about using the ceiling storage you find in garages. I did a little looking around, I think it will work. Today we went back to the store. I found one and I think it will work it’s 45”x45”. We got home opened it up and started to look at the instructions knowing I was going to have to made some modifications to fit my needs. Surprisingly I didn’t have to change too much.

Instead of using both arms for the adjustment height I just used one. I didn’t use the lag bolts it came with I had some 1/4” x 1” self tapers into the aluminum ceiling. Everything was straight forward. It’s done wife loves it and we’re all happy. After I started to take a closer look I didn’t like how I had attached to brackets onto the aluminum tubes. It came with single point L brackets. I was worried the rocking would end up crack the aluminum and I would have more issues. So I changed out the hardware and added some “S” hooks to allow it to rock but not add stress to the tubes.

I think it’s a good mod. Wife said it was my best idea in a long time, hmm ok.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28AFFCA8-595E-4466-AC3C-098F7BFF4E75.jpeg 
Views:	431 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	27418
    Can you add a link to what you used. I'm interested in doing this.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too! Nice job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the shelf I used. I didn't like the L Bracket that came with it so I added the double screw mount and an S hook. I used large self tappers to hang the mounts.

https://www.menards.com/main/storage...70-c-12656.htm
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many inches from the floor did you hang the rack? I was wanting somewhere to store my lounge chair and fold up table.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, we've been struggling with storage ideas and I'm too picky for most "boxed" solutions, but this looks well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Tim View Post
    How many inches from the floor did you hang the rack? I was wanting somewhere to store my lounge chair and fold up table.
    We’re in ID camping right now and I don’t have a tape measure. The blues bin in the pic is 17.5” tall. I’m guessing about 19-20” or so. I didn’t modify the arms, the stock length was good for my application.
    2020 Solitude 385GK-R
    B&W goose neck
    Companion Slider

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for a great post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast