User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800BH with GMC Sierra 1500 6.2 and Max Tow

I know there's a lot of "will it tow" questions around 1/2 ton trucks, so I figured I'd share my experience and what I've learned now that I have some real miles on my rig.

We have a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L motor and Max Tow package (<--Very important).

It seems there's usually 2 issues with 1/2 ton trucks:

1. Payload capacity
    2. Trailer sway

Our truck has a payload of 1956 lbs on the door sticker. Our tongue weight is around 950lbs, so we have about 1,000 lb for passengers, cargo, etc. We've weighed, and have about 250 lbs to spare when fully loaded for a trip, including a bit of water in the fresh water tank. If we didn't have the Max Tow package, we'd be overweight by a couple hundred pounds.

Regarding sway, I was a bit worried before our first long distance trip to Colorado. Our hitch came with the trailer, and is a ProSeries with 1,200 lb spring bars and the basic friction style sway bars. It's a pretty low end weight distribution and anti-sway hitch.

We drove through 25mph winds in Kansas, and had some nasty 40mph gusts according to the forecasts during some crazy weather in Colorado, many of it side winds. No matter what the exact wind speeds were, it was WINDY. The truck handled the trailer fine. I definitely slowed down to 53-55mph when we were in the worst of the winds. It kept your attention, but it was never nerve wracking or white knuckle. Bottom line, when in doubt slow down, take your time, and you're fine. I definitely never entered a true trailer sway situation that caused me to grab the trailer brakes or have the GMC TSC kick in.

Lastly there's the issue of the suck/push when passed by semis. It's definitely there, but for me, I simply got used to it. At this point I don't even watch for semis approaching. When they get close you feel them start sucking you over, and you just get used to steering out of it. It became second nature for me. For my rig it is manageable, and certainly not worth buying a Hensley or ProPride hitch to the tune of $3K.

Bonus, the 6.2L motor is awesome. I could hold 40-45mph over the largest Colorado mountain passes at about 1/2 throttle and 3,000-3,500 RPMs. More importantly, it has enough oomph to do a decent job of engine braking on the descents. If you're looking at a Chevy/GMC, I highly recommend the 6.2L motor. Pulls great, and is fun to occasionally jump on when daily driving.

While the truck has plenty of power to pull heavier trailers, this is probably on the upper end of what you'd want to tow long distances with a 1/2 ton. While it has plenty of power, you'll probably start being on the edge of payload, or really get blown around.

This is my experience, and your mileage may vary of course. But for us this combo has worked, and allows me to have a more reasonable daily driver.

-Eric
    Eric & Lindsay
    2016 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 GMC Sierra, 6.2L Max Tow

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to hear more. We are looking to purchase a new truck as well as a TT. Planning on getting your exact setup. Mostly we will use the truck as a daily driver but only log about 7-8k miles a year. We will pull a TT locally (2-4hours) about 5-6 times a year. We would love to do one road trip a year (3-4K miles) over a 3-4 week period. My current TT is slightly heavier at 6880 uvw and pull it with a 2005 1/2 ton Ford that has way less power and payload. It’s barely a tolerable combo and would never attempt a long trip with it. So looking at the 6.2 max tow along with a slightly lighter camper I’m hoping to be able to have a suitable setup.

I figure upon purchase of the truck we’d put LR E tires and possibly airbags right off the bat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emelch View Post
    I know there's a lot of "will it tow" questions around 1/2 ton trucks, so I figured I'd share my experience and what I've learned now that I have some real miles on my rig.

We have a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L motor and Max Tow package (<--Very important).

It seems there's usually 2 issues with 1/2 ton trucks:

1. Payload capacity
    2. Trailer sway

Our truck has a payload of 1956 lbs on the door sticker. Our tongue weight is around 950lbs, so we have about 1,000 lb for passengers, cargo, etc. We've weighed, and have about 250 lbs to spare when fully loaded for a trip, including a bit of water in the fresh water tank. If we didn't have the Max Tow package, we'd be overweight by a couple hundred pounds.

Regarding sway, I was a bit worried before our first long distance trip to Colorado. Our hitch came with the trailer, and is a ProSeries with 1,200 lb spring bars and the basic friction style sway bars. It's a pretty low end weight distribution and anti-sway hitch.

We drove through 25mph winds in Kansas, and had some nasty 40mph gusts according to the forecasts during some crazy weather in Colorado, many of it side winds. No matter what the exact wind speeds were, it was WINDY. The truck handled the trailer fine. I definitely slowed down to 53-55mph when we were in the worst of the winds. It kept your attention, but it was never nerve wracking or white knuckle. Bottom line, when in doubt slow down, take your time, and you're fine. I definitely never entered a true trailer sway situation that caused me to grab the trailer brakes or have the GMC TSC kick in.

Lastly there's the issue of the suck/push when passed by semis. It's definitely there, but for me, I simply got used to it. At this point I don't even watch for semis approaching. When they get close you feel them start sucking you over, and you just get used to steering out of it. It became second nature for me. For my rig it is manageable, and certainly not worth buying a Hensley or ProPride hitch to the tune of $3K.

Bonus, the 6.2L motor is awesome. I could hold 40-45mph over the largest Colorado mountain passes at about 1/2 throttle and 3,000-3,500 RPMs. More importantly, it has enough oomph to do a decent job of engine braking on the descents. If you're looking at a Chevy/GMC, I highly recommend the 6.2L motor. Pulls great, and is fun to occasionally jump on when daily driving.

While the truck has plenty of power to pull heavier trailers, this is probably on the upper end of what you'd want to tow long distances with a 1/2 ton. While it has plenty of power, you'll probably start being on the edge of payload, or really get blown around.

This is my experience, and your mileage may vary of course. But for us this combo has worked, and allows me to have a more reasonable daily driver.

-Eric
    Glad you have a good setup and are happy with it. I have found much the same thing towing with a 1/2 ton truck. My 2009 Tundra was much the same as you GM but with less payload. A properly setup and spec'd 1/2 ton will tow very well within the limits set by the manufacturer.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    A properly setup and spec'd 1/2 ton will tow very well within the limits set by the manufacturer.

Rob
    This is a very true statement.
    Loaded for camping recently the CAT scale hitched GVW for our Tundra left us with 200-250# under its GVWR. All other numbers had plenty to spare. Stay within the limits set for your 1/2 ton and it will do fine.
    Last edited by Tigger1; 06-21-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll be OK on payload but watch the rear axle weight too.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2400BH and our TV was a 2015 Silverado 1500 but it had the 5.3. It towed just fine however our limit was the GVWR. We were 140# shy of the limit. I was in a good position to upgrade the TV and chose a 2500 GMC gasser. Very happy with it and having the bigger truck does tow so much better. But like most have said, the 1500 is capable within the limits set by the manufacture. Safe travels!!!!