Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extending Slide Without Leveling

Good morning everyone. I live on a slight hill so when my fifth wheel is parked in front of my house the front is higher and it's pretty level side to side. I don't want to unhook just out of fear that the chocks won't hold it. I need to extend the living room slide to do some work inside. Is it ok to do this? Thanks for any suggestions.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chevy 2500HD CCLB Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrb View Post
    Good morning everyone. I live on a slight hill so when my fifth wheel is parked in front of my house the front is higher and it's pretty level side to side. I don't want to unhook just out of fear that the chocks won't hold it. I need to extend the living room slide to do some work inside. Is it ok to do this? Thanks for any suggestions.
    I do it all the time.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soooo my wife and I have had this similar discussion many, many, many times��. It also deals with "Wal Mart" type overnighting. Hooked up to the truck, a reasonable attempt to level the unit, you should be able to put the slides out correct? I hate squeezing past the couch for the fridge.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When slides were first introduced in campers, it was taboo to open them until the rig was level and stabilized. Nikki and I still follow this since it was drilled into us (we had an early SuperSlide model. However, slide mechanisms have become heavier duty as well as box construction and sidewall builds. So, in many ways, the eccentric loading opening out of level will place on the gear may not be as concerning. However, if it's a Schwintek mechanism, I just wouldn't because of how finicky they can be and the chore it is the re-time them.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never worried about it. Open them whenever I needed to. I’ve seen dealers move them around with slides open.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks for the comments. I too have always leveled before putting out the slides all the way. Although I have put them out part way when not level. I think I'll put it out and not worry. But I will put the jacks down. Thanks again.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to be level, especially with the schwintec mechanisms.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrb View Post
    OK, thanks for the comments. I too have always leveled before putting out the slides all the way. Although I have put them out part way when not level. I think I'll put it out and not worry. But I will put the jacks down. Thanks again.
    This is just an opinion not based on any real knowledge but I think dropping the jacks without leveling could be worse. Sitting on the hitch or front jacks and suspension it should be as squared up as it’s was built. Just dropping the jacks without leveling could risk twisting the frame and potentially causing issues with the slides.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    This is just an opinion not based on any real knowledge but I think dropping the jacks without leveling could be worse. Sitting on the hitch or front jacks and suspension it should be as squared up as it’s was built. Just dropping the jacks without leveling could risk twisting the frame and potentially causing issues with the slides.
    I really can't see the harm in having the jacks on the ground. I was going to ground the front jacks and then just touch the ground with the rear jacks. Seem to me that the jacks would prevent problems rather than cause them. It will prevent the frame from moving when the slide goes out.
    John & Nadine Bagby
    2016 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be right
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R