User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Places to overnight on I-20

We are tentatively planning to goto Belton Texas for a BBQ group get together again this fall. Do any of you have any recommendations on rv parks to stop overnight. With all going on I'll feel better in a park than a cracker barrel or Wal-Mart. We stayed in a KOA in Mississippi going and coming last time but we want to spend a little more time getting there this time. 12-14 hour drives are something I really don't want to do again. We were thinking maybe around Birmingham and Shreveport for stops to break the trip up. Also is there any must see must do things along I-20 that should not be missed. Thanks in advance!
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardio Lake State Park is not to far off I-20 near Marshall, TX. It's a great place to stay. I-20 in the Shrevport area is a rough piece of road.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    Cardio Lake State Park is not to far off I-20 near Marshall, TX. It's a great place to stay. I-20 in the Shrevport area is a rough piece of road.
    Oh I know! Went through there in 2018 with my last rig. I definitely will do the bypass around Shreveport this time!
    2019 F250 FX4 gas with puck system
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    A German Shepherd and a Wife!
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    I second Caddo Lake State Park as a nice stop. It's going to be about 30 - 40 min drive north off I20. If you have an extra day you might enjoy visiting the historic town of Jefferson, about 10 miles north of the park.

Tyler State Park is very nice and is right on I20 about 80 miles west of Shreveport. Usually stays pretty crowded so reservation may be needed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BWood - if you’re about halfway across the state on I-20, you’re not going to beat Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston, LA. About 35 sites, all shaded, full hookups. Skip fast food joints on the interstate and go downtown.

https://www.rustonlincoln.com/outdoo...ln-Parish-Park
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave IH20 at Canton Texas and look at Wagon Train RV, Mill Creek Ranch and/or Texan RV parks near Canton or Athens. From Canton I would take Texas 19 to Athens and then Texas 31 from Athens through Corsicana to Waco.

At Bellmead (just outside of Waco) Texas 31 merges with Texas 87 and then merges with IH35. Pick up IH35 through Waco down to Temple/Belton. This way you skip the Dallas mess and all the construction on IH35W through Hillsboro. State Hwy 19 and 31 are big 2 lane roads with wide shoulders a few towns that you have to slow down.

As you get into Waco on State Hwy 87/31 and IH35 it's worth a stop at the Collin Street Bakery close to IH35 with plenty of parking at Collin Street Bakery or the Motel across the street. As you go through Waco and cross the Brazos River then big football stadium on the left is McLain Stadium home of the Baylor Bears. Last time I went through Waco to Belton IH35 was under construction from Bellmead to near the McLain Stadium and again in Temple. So plan extra time.

If you're getting to Canton around the first Monday of the month (starts on the Thursday before the first Monday) there is a trade day so Athens would be the only place with available spots. Canton trade days would be worth the extra day (if Covid has allowed it to re-open). If your planning to be traveling during that time make sure to call in advance for a campground reservation.

If you can leave the trailer in Belton and want to head back to Waco we have the Chip and Joanna Gaines empire with Magnolia Cafe, the Silos, and other businesses (plan on spending lots of time in line and call in advance). If you have time the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame (not the baseball team but actual rangers), tour the stadium, walk across the Brazos River and visit the Dr. Pepper museum.

Have fun
    Last edited by AustexGP; 07-10-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel