User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 F-250 6.7 - "Whooshing" Sound

Hope someone can help. Searched the internet and have not found a solution.

Had a weird issue pop up when towing home from the beach this weekend. As I got into the hills of northwest Georgia I noticed that whenever i would go over 10 psi on my turbo boost i would hear "whooshing" sound under the hood. As soon as the boost dropped the noise went away. The truck is running fine, no codes, no shudders, etc. Just hear the loud air sound when above 10 psi of boost.

I did check the upper portion of the cold side of the CAC and the tube was fine and no visible cracks that I could see. Did not remove the full tube as I did not have a socket extender.

Any ideas on the cause?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be your radiator fan clutch engaging the fan to help cool the motor. It is June and if you were hooked to the rig it may have been just coincidence you thought it was boost releated and the fan was kicking in to help cool the motor. With it being belt driven this may have led you to believe it was boost related as the fan speed increases with the rpm of the motor.

Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere. Check all the tubing, clamps and hoses. I would also inspect the CAC itself. My former ecoboost had a end tank failure with its CAC on our first trip out of town with it.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I did take part of the CAC tube apart and inspect, but did not find any cracks or leaks that I could see. It did have some dirt and oily residue at the bottom of the part where it connects to the turbo so I cleaned that and reseated everything, but the noise is still there. How do I check the intercooler itself?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try an owners forum of your truck and see if others addressed this issue.
    2cents
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the fan. Happens all the time under a hard pull. Watch your temp gauge and you can see when it comes on and as it cools the temp goes back down and the noise goes away.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the older 6.7s had an issue where the fan clutch would fail and the fan would stay engaged 100% of the time. That could be your issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a boost leak. Power brake it and get someone under the hood to see where the noise is coming from. FYI just don’t power brake it too much it will overheat quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suber81083 View Post
    Sounds like a boost leak. Power brake it and get someone under the hood to see where the noise is coming from. FYI just don’t power brake it too much it will overheat quick

Thanks. How do I power brake the truck?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekender01 View Post
    Thanks. How do I power brake the truck?
    Put it in drive hold your left foot on the brake and start accelerating slightly with the right until you hear the noise or the rear tires start to break loose. Be careful and don’t run over anyone. I would see if you can hear it yourself first before you get someone to try and find it. The safest way to find a boost leak would be to press up the entire air system with a pressure tester. Or if you have access to a dyno. But I doubt you have one of them. But again be very careful if you do power brake it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast