Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HMMM, Did i goof???

Well, finally did it. I traded the 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 3:73 with 16 inch tires/wheels 125k miles, as I found a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 4:10 3k miles with 20 inch tires. Both trucks are 4 x 4, crew cab with short bed, towing capacity changed by 4,000. so that was the biggie. We won't be overloaded any more. Took a little trip up the hill to Prescott Valley over the weekend to help some family, about 100 miles. 2010 truck would average about 7 mpg. new truck was only at 7.6 round trip, 6 up there and 8.5 back. Did i goof up? I am concerned if i am going to gain anything at all when i am traveling on the flat as for the part we do when we are on a long trip. I was really hoping for around 9 or 10 with the 4:10 gears. I did have the HP and kept it at 40 / 45 to 50 /55 climbing that i was happy with, just thinking of the overall. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, made mistakes before and sucked it up and made a change. thoughts and comments are very welcome.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can't speak directly to your case but I'll say that the lower gear ratio (numerically higher) is going to raise the rpms. That translates to better performance off the line but will hurt you at cruise.

To know if that rear gear is significantly different from your old truck you'd have to calculate the total ratio including transmission gear(s) and tire circumference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get more torque and pulling power but lose on mileage. Not a mistake, just a trade off.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends what your goal was.

Was it to increase towing capacity? (Sounds like you did)

Was it to increase payload?
    (You probably did since they seem to increase over the years even in the same truck configuration, but probably not by much)

Was it to increase fuel economy?
    (It seems like it was very similar, but is fuel economy really something that one is concerned about when towing? I would be more concerned with the ability to safely tow and stop the load over fuel economy while towing)

What about your unloaded fuel economy, has that improved?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    towing capacity was the main goal and of course the other truck was good, just getting a little beat up. the new one is super nice, lots of new things to learn about. towing and payload i was able to achieve what i wanted, in addition to the little more torque i guess for the hills and still have a little over 1000 lbs capacity for those trips that we haul a bunch of extra stuff, so yeah overall i think i achieved what i needed to. If i can maintain at least 8 to 10 mpg i guess i achieved the major thing. thanks for your input
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    typically, moving up one gear (or lower gear; 3.73 to 4.10) will decrease fuel mileage about 1-1.5mpg when not towing. changing driving habits will make up the difference. towing performance improves greatly and the fuel mileage will also be slightly lower. its a small trade off but you will enjoy the lower gears during take off and climbing. Happy Trails
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others said, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. Saying what others have a bit differently, for same travel speed you will consume more fuel with 4.10s. Automakers are helping a bit with transmissions with more gears, but then we see additional fuel efficiency being robbed from the truck lines with emissions equipment. Probably the advice is to have comfort in you have the right tool for the job, and plan how you use the tool - flatter routes, lower average speed, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those gear ratios are so close, I doubt you would see much of a difference either way. Maybe off the line performance would be slightly better with the 4.10's. At speed, aerodynamics, or lack of, and overall weight really come into play. You're still pushing a heavy brick through the air, while pulling an even bigger, heavier brick through the air. Going diesel would net you slightly better mpg, but there's a serious upfront cost with that.....
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    Well, finally did it. I traded the 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 3:73 with 16 inch tires/wheels 125k miles, as I found a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 4:10 3k miles with 20 inch tires. Both trucks are 4 x 4, crew cab with short bed, towing capacity changed by 4,000. so that was the biggie. We won't be overloaded any more. Took a little trip up the hill to Prescott Valley over the weekend to help some family, about 100 miles. 2010 truck would average about 7 mpg. new truck was only at 7.6 round trip, 6 up there and 8.5 back. Did i goof up? I am concerned if i am going to gain anything at all when i am traveling on the flat as for part we do when we are on a long trip. I was really hoping for around 9 or 10 with the 4:10 gears. I did have the HP and kept it at 40 / 45 to 50 /55 climbing that i was happy with, just thinking of the overall. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, made mistakes before and sucked it up and made a change. thoughts and comments are very welcome.
    Gain in fuel mileage? Like was said, the lower the gears the higher the RPMs, the more fuel it takes, even a little bit. But look what you did gain in towing. 9 years can be a lot of difference with trucks these days on their capabilities and how the engines are built, emissions and their capabilities. 4x4s can eat up a lot of fuel mileage on the older trucks Vs new, partly because of how they were made but partly the weight they add. Manufacturers love to rate 4.10 gears a lot higher in towing capacity. How many more gears in the transmission did you gain? No I don't think you goofed. That's probably what I would have expected. You got a much better truck overall in capabilities, probable better ride and comfort.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    Well, finally did it. I traded the 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 3:73 with 16 inch tires/wheels 125k miles, as I found a 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 4:10 3k miles with 20 inch tires. Both trucks are 4 x 4, crew cab with short bed, towing capacity changed by 4,000. so that was the biggie. We won't be overloaded any more. Took a little trip up the hill to Prescott Valley over the weekend to help some family, about 100 miles. 2010 truck would average about 7 mpg. new truck was only at 7.6 round trip, 6 up there and 8.5 back. Did i goof up? I am concerned if i am going to gain anything at all when i am traveling on the flat as for the part we do when we are on a long trip. I was really hoping for around 9 or 10 with the 4:10 gears. I did have the HP and kept it at 40 / 45 to 50 /55 climbing that i was happy with, just thinking of the overall. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, made mistakes before and sucked it up and made a change. thoughts and comments are very welcome.
    First of all congrats on the new tow vehicle! Don't know what engine the new truck has but the 4.10 gearing seems OK to me for towing what looks like a Reflection 5th wheel. A 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine has more payload then on with a diesel so hopefully you're OK on the hitch weight. 2 different standards for towing a 5th wheel vs a travel trailer. The 16" vs 20" wheels will be the same if the tire heights are the same because tire height is really the big difference. I opted for 4.10 gearing in my dually because its my daily driver and I get 15 mpg driving around town empty and usually 9.5 mpg towing our 377 MBS Solitude depending on speed and road conditions. If you ever decide the gearing is too low you can go to a one or two inch taller tire which will probably put you in the 3.80 gear range. A little less pulling power but probably better fuel mileage on the highway.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast