User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W 20K with Ford Puck question. . .

Quick question on my hitch install. I noticed that after turning the latch handles two of them feel like they rotate somewhat easily with a very slight amount of drag. When latched, the castle nut is a little bit loose (I can wiggle it with my finger). I cannot tighten the castle nut far enough to expose the next slot for the cotter pin. I called B&W and they want to send me some spacers to place between the puck and the bottom of the hitch base. This doesn't seem right to me as it would just mean the base wouldn't sit flat on the pucks. Anyone else run into this issue? Should the nuts be tight? Seems if I added a different thickness washer under the nut that might solve it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure the nut should be tight? Typically castle nuts are finger tight and use a cotter pin to prevent rotation of the nut. It's the same way your trailer hub is held in place, finger tight castle nut with cotter pin. I dont have a B&W hitch, just thinking outloud.

My hitch does use the same concept and I have a Ford puck system. I have a slight drag when turning the latch, but it isnt enough drag that makes it hard to operate. That's pretty much what my installation manual instructed for proper fit, just a slight drag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply! It's the "slight drag" part that's kinda tough to measure. There hitch base for sure feels solidly connected to the truck - I've tried wiggling the base with all my might and cannot feel any slop in the system. I'll try to send a video in a little bit. . . .
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds ok by your description, but again, I dont have a B&W so hopefully someone who does will chime in to let you know how the operation should be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! My dealer just reassured me the tech would look at it and ensure all is safe before we drive off.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W 25K# hitch with the Ford pucks. Two of the handles have the slight drag when locking them down. The other two I have to use a rubber mallet to get started, but then easy by hand the last 1/4 of the way.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Quick question on my hitch install. I noticed that after turning the latch handles two of them feel like they rotate somewhat easily with a very slight amount of drag. When latched, the castle nut is a little bit loose (I can wiggle it with my finger). I cannot tighten the castle nut far enough to expose the next slot for the cotter pin. I called B&W and they want to send me some spacers to place between the puck and the bottom of the hitch base. This doesn't seem right to me as it would just mean the base wouldn't sit flat on the pucks. Anyone else run into this issue? Should the nuts be tight? Seems if I added a different thickness washer under the nut that might solve it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I would not use any type of spacers, that just seems like another area to cause issues. I occasionally have to tighten the castle nuts on my B&W Companion for the pucks. Sometimes it's a little too tight when lining up the cotter pin and a little too loose when backing off the nut to the next slot. Hope that makes sense but I just tighten to the next slot and put the cotter pin in. I'd rather have the arms a little tight than too loose. I rarely remove my hitch so the tighter arms don't bother me. I wouldn't over think it, pretty hard to mess up any B&W product. You would never be able to wiggle that hitch by hand but 4000 lbs of pin weight and 16.5K of weight will wiggle it around if it's too loose in the pucks!
    Last edited by Txfivver; 06-23-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather have the arms a little tight than too loose.
    That was my thought too but the manual clearly says I should not have to bang the handles.

On the spacers, I agree that smells like a bad idea. And yet that’s from the tech at B&W.

We’ll see how it goes tomorrow; thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a Ford guy, but I have the B&W with the GM puck system. My handles are a bit more than slight drag. What I do is wrap my fingers around the handle while putting downward pressure on the nut with my thumb. I can get the handles started, then at most a bump with the heel of my hand seats them. I can't see 1/6th of a turn to align the cotter pin making a loose nut too tight though. One suggestion might be to put a dab of grease on the lugs, or maybe buff some of the paint off the top of the puck?

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I wonder why B&W doesn't use another kind of locking nut like a nylock of something like that.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast