User Tag List

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cricket for cellular Internet w/Togo/ConnecT?

So.. Doing a little research getting ready for the end of the awesome Togo plan, and I stumbled on Cricket wireless. They have a mobile hotspot (data only) plan that's 35/mo for 20G and 50/mo for 40G. That's a pretty good price; getting close to $1/GB transferred, compared to the "new" Togo plans at around 3/GB. Cricket is an ATT MVNO (they use the same network) AFAIK. I put the IMEI in from my Togo and it seemed to take it and understand it (said, this is a "data only" device). I'm both passing this along as an FYI, and also, selfishly, to see if someone else will try it out before I need it!

Even at the 20GB plan, over the course of a year, you'll be around 400 bucks and get 240GB of data, compared to 325 bucks and 100GB of data. The math gets even better if you need more data. It appears to be a prepaid plan, but I'm not sure if that means you can turn it on/off month to month and/or adjust your plan month to month. I'd leave it at 35/mo for the 20G plan and if I have a lot of trips planned in a month, bump it up, for example.

Anyway, if anyone has experience, love to hear it, especially if they've tried a Cricket SIM card in a ConnecT.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am looking for an alternative plan once my ATT Togo plan ends
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know about compatibility with Togo device, but we kind of got tripped into our current approach to connectivity when Sprint killed our legacy Unlimited Plan. We now use a 5G capable hotspot plan (Current device is Android-based HTC 5G Hub, but the hardware they will issue will change I am sure now that Spring is owned by TMobile) that costs us $50 / mo for 100 GB. It works fine with 4G signal we are stuck with most of the time, but will be ready as TMobile strengthens their network moving forward. Sprint accounts now have access to all of TMobile’s coverage map so that has already been a plus. We had to purchase the Hub, but they gave us a credit that covered it b/c they killed our old plan. This HTC device provides a stronger local WiFi signal than previous devices we have owned. TMobile will determine all available devices going forward so I don’t think this Hub is going to be a solution new purchasers would have to choose from.

We don’t rely on this plan to stream media. Pretty much use it for most productivity tasks aside from entertainment. We use park WiFi for streaming (not always great, but workable)to stretch our broadband access. But the HTC Hub and Sprint 4G LTE support streaming just fine. You just go through data like crazy! Using just for productivity, usage is within the 100 GB, but sometimes barely. After your 100GB, you don’t lose all connectivity, but get throttled back to 2G service.

Overall, we’re OK with this plan - especially when we compare to what other carriers offer. I don’t think there will ever be a full Unlimited Data plan offered ever again by anybody. Good times.
    Home is where you park it!
    2021 Solitude 380FL
    2014 Silverado 3500HD LTZ DRW 6.6L Duramax Allison 6 Speed
    RVing since 1996; Full Time since 2018

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    So.. Doing a little research getting ready for the end of the awesome Togo plan, and I stumbled on Cricket wireless. They have a mobile hotspot (data only) plan that's 35/mo for 20G and 50/mo for 40G. That's a pretty good price; getting close to $1/GB transferred, compared to the "new" Togo plans at around 3/GB. Cricket is an ATT MVNO (they use the same network) AFAIK. I put the IMEI in from my Togo and it seemed to take it and understand it (said, this is a "data only" device). I'm both passing this along as an FYI, and also, selfishly, to see if someone else will try it out before I need it!

Even at the 20GB plan, over the course of a year, you'll be around 400 bucks and get 240GB of data, compared to 325 bucks and 100GB of data. The math gets even better if you need more data. It appears to be a prepaid plan, but I'm not sure if that means you can turn it on/off month to month and/or adjust your plan month to month. I'd leave it at 35/mo for the 20G plan and if I have a lot of trips planned in a month, bump it up, for example.

Anyway, if anyone has experience, love to hear it, especially if they've tried a Cricket SIM card in a ConnecT.
    Overtaxed

I recently signed up for the Cricket Wireless 20 Gb Data Only plan to replace the AT&T plan for the Roadlink TOGO that was discontinued. I went online to Cricket Wireless and ordered a SIM card ($10.00) and 1-month of service ($35.00).

I had previously obtained the password to my TOGO in anticipation of needing to change providers, so setup was fairly straight forward. After inserting the SIM card into the TOGO you need to Login to the TOGO using a browser and change the provided. There is no provider name for Cricket Wireless so you will need to enter the correct APN name. For Cricket Wireless that is (ndo) without the parentheses . After making these changes I called Cricket Wireless Customer service to activate the service (to my surprise there was no wait time for a Customer Service Representative). When you sign up for the service you can port you old AT&T number, but I just requested a new number for simplicity since the phone number is not really used for anything. After you sign up you will need to create a PIN. They will give you a new Cricket Wireless account and phone number. When calling to activate the service you will need the new phone number, PIN, and the SIM card number. Keep the card that the SIM was attached to handy as the SIM card number is printed on the back of the card. It took less than 10 minutes to activate the service.

I did install the Cricket Wireless application on my phone. Logging into the application is not quite as simple. You will need the phone number assigned to the TOGO as they will send you a text to verify it is you. The issue is that the TOGO does not have the ability to receive the text. Although I have yet to try this, I was told to place the SIM card into a smartphone that can receive the text message. Customer service did not have a work around for this, so I plan on giving it a try to see if it will work.

After activating the service the TOGO appeared work as before. Since Cricket Wireless uses the AT&T towers, there was no surprises.
    Last edited by srobins; 10-24-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lines with cricket and visible. I prefer visible, it's faster hotspot is included and it's uncapped speed wise. VPN nets me fill speed video as well.

Cricket is nice for Canada and Mexico. Otherwise I think visible is faster on average and you don't have to pay for hotspot.

I still have both but prefer visible.

If you choose either, they both have a sub reddit where you can get into groups for cheaper deals
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I have lines with cricket and visible. I prefer visible, it's faster hotspot is included and it's uncapped speed wise. VPN nets me fill speed video as well.

Cricket is nice for Canada and Mexico. Otherwise I think visible is faster on average and you don't have to pay for hotspot.

If you choose either, they both have a sub reddit where you can get into groups for cheaper deals
    I thought that Visible capped all Hotspots at 5mb/s? Are you not seeing that? What type of device are you using for your internet service?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this fits in but we are new to the TT lifestyle and we have a very old Sprint Plan that includes 50GB of mobile hotspot, free each month & each phone (Samsung S8s).
    So we have used this to connect our laptop to the internet and tap into or Cox CONTOUR to watch TV online (connected thru HDMI to TV) and all other internet activity, so far so good.
    We even use the hotspot for our tablets (all at the same time) and have had no major problems but a few glitches.
    We are limited to Sprint connectivity in the area we are staying at.
    Hopefully that will improve in time with T-Mobile merger. Hopefully our plan won't change either.
    We have not consumed 50GB in a month nor realized any slowdowns to speak off.
    We have not tried to tap into Netflix or Amazon accounts for movies yet but will at some point in time.

We have a camera in the TT and left a phone with the camera to monitor our pets with no problems, Sprint allows no answer call forward for free so that takes care of that.

I feel our connection is secure thru the cell phone hotspot and the computer also has a VPN service.

Please feel free to chime in if I'm missing something here.

I'm still working on connecting everything up quickly and tried using a wifi repeater to see if it helps manage all the connections.

WORK IN PROGRESS along with learning all about TTs.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

Aridon

Visible has some good plans and pricing, but according to their Customer Service, they do not currently work with a router, which is what the Roadlink TOGO is. I was specifically looking for an alternative plan to replace the AT&T plan that with discontinued. The assumption is that the TOGO being mounted on the roof of the RV utilizing MIMO (dual cellular antennas) would provide better reception in fringe areas compared to using a smartphone. Another advantage of using the TOGO is that you can connect multiple devices to it at the same time. I believe that Visible only allows one device to access the smartphone as a hotspot at any one time.
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srobins View Post
    Overtaxed

I recently signed up for the Cricket Wireless 20 Gb Data Only plan to replace the AT&T plan for the Roadlink TOGO that was discontinued. I went online to Cricket Wireless and ordered a SIM card ($10.00) and 1-month of service ($35.00).

I had previously obtained the password to my TOGO in anticipation of needing to change providers, so setup was fairly straight forward. After inserting the SIM card into the TOGO you need to Login to the TOGO using a browser and change the provided. There is no provider name for Cricket Wireless so you will need to enter the correct APN name. For Cricket Wireless that is (ndo) without the parentheses . After making these changes I called Cricket Wireless Customer service to activate the service (to my surprise there was no wait time for a Customer Service Representative). When you sign up for the service you can port you old AT&T number, but I just requested a new number for simplicity since the phone number is not really used for anything. After you sign up you will need to create a PIN. They will give you a new Cricket Wireless account and phone number. When calling to activate the service you will need the new phone number, PIN, and the SIM card number. Keep the card that the SIM was attached to handy as the SIM card number is printed on the back of the card. It took less than 10 minutes to activate the service.

I did install the Cricket Wireless application on my phone. Logging into the application is not quite as simple. You will need the phone number assigned to the TOGO as they will send you a text to verify it is you. The issue is that the TOGO does not have the ability to receive the text. Although I have yet to try this, I was told to place the SIM card into a smartphone that can receive the text message. Customer service did not have a work around for this, so I plan on giving it a try to see if it will work.

After activating the service the TOGO appeared work as before. Since Cricket Wireless uses the AT&T towers, there was no surprises.
    My TOGO ran out, so after reading your post, I signed up for a Cricket account. My hat is off to anyone that can make the switch to Cricket from ATT and have it running
    in ten minutes. I would be too embarrassed to post here how long it took me to get the dang thing up and running. But, I did do without any assistance other than what
    you posted and what is on the TOGO site on changing carriers. So now it appears to work as well as it ever did.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"