User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power supply requirements from house to RV

Need to install a 50 amp circuit in my house to power my 312 BHTS. The question is the voltage 120 or 220 volts /50 AMP.

Thanks
    V/r,
    Bill

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you truly need 50 amps, you will need to install a 50 amp RV Outlet. Your trailer does not use 220, but rather 2 legs of 110 at 50 amps each. Plugging in to a 220 outlet for a dryer or a welder Not only will not work, but may (will) cause serious damage. If you are unfamiliar with this type of installation, please hire an electrician.
    If you are not using it at home full time, there may be no need for the 50 amp. 30amps will run 1 AC and most other stuff although one at a time.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buntingwg View Post
    Need to install a 50 amp circuit in my house to power my 312 BHTS. The question is the voltage 120 or 220 volts /50 AMP.

Thanks
    V/r,
    Bill
    The answer is yes. Your electrician will know what that means.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key is getting the right gear, which a good electrician will do. There are many stories here of that not happening.

If I were adding an RV outlet at my house I would make sure to use the same kind of box as the campgrounds use. They have the 50A 4 wire, and a 30A 3 wire and normal 15A outlets all on one feed. These boxes can be had cheaper pre-assembled than you can build one from parts. They also give you all the options you, a guest or a new owner will ever need. And lastly they (probably) prevent even a DYI guy from screwing it up too badly.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    The key is getting the right gear, which a good electrician will do. There are many stories here of that not happening.

If I were adding an RV outlet at my house I would make sure to use the same kind of box as the campgrounds use. They have the 50A 4 wire, and a 30A 3 wire and normal 15A outlets all on one feed. These boxes can be had cheaper pre-assembled than you can build one from parts. They also give you all the options you, a guest or a new owner will ever need. And lastly they (probably) prevent even a DYI guy from screwing it up too badly.

I agreed with you until that last sentence. Unfortunately, there are many out there that don't know the difference between AC and DC and certainly don't have a clue how to properly wire up the needed circuit for a 50A service for their RV. I'm not condemning them in any way, they just don't know because they......well, just don't know. If there is any doubt as to the correct parts, wiring, or installation, a qualified Electrician should be used to perform the install. And, unfortunately, there are folks working as "Electricians", that don't know either. And finally, it is something that should not be taken lightly.....it is a serious mistake and usually pretty costly if done incorrectly......not to mention dangerous and with a possible risk of fire and electrocution.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buntingwg View Post

Thanks
    V/r,
    Bill
    The RV requires a 50 amp 240 volt NEMA 14-50R receptacle.

It’s best to into install an outdoor certified box with circuit breakers in the box. That way you can plug in the trailer and then turn on the breaker at the box. I installed one of these at my country vacant lot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...02SS/203393687 and really liked it.

If your breaker panel is close then a simple box like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Midwest-...054P/100193650 is fine. I installed this at my cabin below the outdoor circuit breaker panel for my RV.

Basically you want to be able to plug and unplug your RV without the having the receptacle live. Then after plugging in turn on the breaker.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 06-25-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg