User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    It's a difference of almost double! $220/yr versus ~$400/yr, then there's the insurance delta (holy cow) and then the tolls!
    There was no insurance delta between a 250 and 450 for me (I mean, there might have been, but we're talking "dollars", not "holy cow"). Tolls have been the same as well, it's based on axles anywhere I've been, and therefore identical between the two (unless I'm towing, in which case, HOLY COW some of the roads/bridges in the north east are expensive!).

What is the difference in registration cost in PA between the two?
    Between a 250 and 450 in SC, it's close to double. ~2000/yr to ~3500/yr. It's not actually registration though, it's personal property tax, however, it's kind of a distinction without a difference as you need to pay both registration and tax before you can get a plate or renew your existing plate. The 250 is the "last" pickup you can register in SC for the "cheap" (passenger car) price. That's what the "derate" is about, it's under 10K lbs, so it registers as a car instead of a heavy truck. Once you go beyond that, 350 or 450, you get into the expensive registration. This is "the market" for the 250, over the course of a few years on a new truck, you can save 1000's of dollars because of the sticker difference on a 250. If you go somewhere where it's not done this way (which is basically anywhere else I've lived), then the 250 stop making much/any sense when compared to a 350 SRW.

I’m thinking about upgrading from a ram 1500 to a 2500 but that’s what’s holding me back is the taxes but I don’t think there as high as yours, but I’m not sure.
    If you're in SC, a 250 and 150 are both "cars" and have the same millage rate applied (under 10K GVWR). When you go higher is when you get into the "trucks" category and no longer get the car millage rate (which roughly doubles the cost). I had a 150 and 250, both new, registered in SC, the difference between them for taxes was negligible.

I made the mistake of getting an '18 2500HD. Wish I had gotten the '18 3500HD instead. I now realize a 2500 makes no sense when you can get a 3500 SRW instead for the extra legal payload. Less to worry about if/when you upgrade RVs.

That said, if I'd have bought an '09 3500 DRW truck with a Duramax as my first purchase, I would have bought 1 truck in 2009 instead of 3 between 2009 and 2020. Just a thought...
    Same here man, same here. Been through lots of trucks because I kept buying "just enough". With the 450, at least I know when I sell it someday it will not be because I didn't "buy enough truck". I could have saved 10's of thousands of dollars if I had just gone straight to the 450 years ago.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD to tow my 2670MK.

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    That's plenty of truck. As for brands, try 'em all buy your favorite. It's close enough to new model year, might be worth putting off the purchase till this year's trucks get discounted. You might consider a SRW one ton if there's a chance you might want to upgrade the camper before you're ready to buy another truck. Price shouldn't be much different.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a decent truck but it's a RWD.

Here's the specs:

$32K
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
    22,000 Miles

Do I definitely need 4 wheel drive? Or will this suffice?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1500 pulls it really, really well. I'm only worried when I go to mountainous regions. The 1500 works its ****** off to get up even half way decent inclines.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the specs:

$32K
    22,000 Miles

Me personally I have never had 4wd. I have never needed it. And a new truck I’m not going off road. I would get a 2wd truck if I could find one, but there rare. But it’s all up to you where you will be going if you would need it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the specs:

$32K
    22,000 Miles

How and where do you camp? That will answer it. I can tell you with even developed campgrounds, I have needed 4wd or my dually would have floundered because it seems EVERY CG owner - private or park - doesn't consult an engineer for proper gravel recommendations for their roads! Now, this is with my 5er on my truck's back. Back with our TTs, I towed 16 years with two, big-block, 3/4-ton SUVs that were 2wd only BUT with locking rear differentials. Never a problem with them at all. FWIW - resale value of a 4wd is higher BUT those who know and desire a 2wd will pay premium for it in my experience...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You absolutely do not NEED 4wd. I have it, have had it on all my trucks, and have used it maybe 1% of my time in the seat and except for parking my RV at home (which is on a gravel pad) exactly 0% of the time with the RV behind me. It's really going to be about what you're using the truck for, if you're storing is somewhere on pavement and going to RV parks with it, you'll likely never use 4WD. If you're planning on a lot of boondocking in remote locations, I'd want 4WD. IMHO, most people don't use it very much, I do a lot of "truck stuff" with mine, and rarely use it, but I'm glad I have it because of my parking situation and times I want to take the truck across my property. Without those two thing, I'd never use it.

Also, you get a little more payload on a 2WD because they are lighter. Probably not an issue in your case, but worth mentioning.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 wheel low, really comes in handy backing large, heavy, units, especially on loose surfaces.
    2017 Momentum 376th
    2000 Volvo 610 DD 12.7L Eaton 10 speed

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
    4 wheel low, really comes in handy backing large, heavy, units, especially on loose surfaces.
    Glad you said that, because I'll have to try it, but, that said, I've backed a 351M into some hairy spots, including mine at home (crush and run with a pretty good slope) and never used 4WD at all. For me, anyway, it's a nice to have, not a must have. I probably would have not parked it a few times I did if I didn't have 4WD to pull me out, but I've never gotten stuck either, so.. Maybe I'm just a wimp.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD to tow my 2670MK.

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    Not sure if you're going gas or diesel, but I have the Chevy 2020 2500 6.6L gas and the same camper. I've only went on a short trip with it so far, but it did fine. I''m getting ready to drive across the country, West to East coast, and can give you a better idea then. It pulled fine on the short trip though. Mine is just the basic work truck edition.
    2020 Imagine Mk2670
    Tow vehicle - 2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.6L Gas

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast