User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for a 3500 over a 2500. Cost difference is trivial for the additional payload.

As to 4WD, yeah, its useless until it isn't. In Florida during rainy season, those grass campsites can be buggers. Have been stuck several times in the mud with my old 1500 2 wheel drive. Now I just click it into 4WD low and I don't even notice it. Same for steep and slick boat ramps. Do I use it a lot? No. But when I need it I really need it. Increased turning radius is a PIA though.

Gas VS Diesel: Yeah, diesel fuel is more expensive, maintenance is more expensive, and DEF is a pain. But tows like a dream, and towing gas mileage is 60-100% better than with my gas 1500. Multiply that times thousands of towing miles and if you drive enough it is worth it. Around town not towing it is only 5-10% better though, so would depend on your own driving needs.

So what brand? GMC/Chevy, Ford, and Dodge are all good. Just have to drive each to decide, and maybe see who has the best deal.

Just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a 4x2 F350 Lariat 6.2L Gasser. It's a 2017 with 22K miles on it and I got it for 32K. It tows great. Just hope I don't need 4x4 but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD to tow my 2670MK.

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    My 2016 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 turbo diesel has been a great truck and the towing specs have increased considerably since 2016. GM diesels sip DEF. Several owners, including myself are getting 12-1,400 miles to the gallon. The Alison transmission is flawless in my opinion. The 2670 is about 8500#, the same as the 313RLTS we just traded. The trailer pulls like a dream and there's plenty of power to spare and I see no reason to get a larger trailer but that's just me. If I decided to move up in weight, I still have 4,000 pounds b4 I reach max tow capacity. The 850# tongue weight leaves plenty of cargo carrying capacity. Best of luck!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow vehicle question: Looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our 43’ Momentum. We want a 2020 Silverado 3500HD. Wondering which would work better....18” or 20” tire. Or would it make no difference?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waynehartmann View Post
    Tow vehicle question: Looking to upgrade our tow vehicle for our 43’ Momentum. We want a 2020 Silverado 3500HD. Wondering which would work better....18” or 20” tire. Or would it make no difference?
    I have 18 inch tires, the biggest difference is hitch weight, 18 lets you go to max axle weight with a little margine. Not sure what 20 inch does, I would see if you can get 8000 pound rating on 20. jb

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sumo Super Springs

I would also recommend the Sumo Super Springs if you don't have airbags. The best product for stability without airbags. These are airless airbags, check them out....jb

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20” tend to fill the wheel wells better. The 18” tires would get you better mileage while not towing however towing will not make a difference.
    I also think you can bet higher rated tires in 18” vs 20” but not sure.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    My 2016 Chevy 2500HD has been a great buy. GM has had problems with the DEF heater #2 and used to require full replacement of the entire heater assembly. GM has extended the warranty to 125,000 miles and they are making progress on the fix so I'm not concerned. Ford and Dodge have issues too. Chevy sips DEF fluid compared to the other two brands, getting twice the mileage/gallon of other makes. We had a 313RLTS and recently traded for a 3250 BH which is practically the same weight, etc. of your 2670. I have the Z71 model and has a stiff suspension when not pulling but pulls the RV like a dream...no squat or light-feeling front end.

The engine and Allison tranny are solid and with the torque of the diesel and the bulletproof smooth shifting Allison it's hard to beat. Gassers are good but I don't like all the shifting (and noise) when headed up a grade. Allison is not available on the gasser.

Consumer Reports (the report is online) just did a review of the 2020 Ford F250 and it has some good information you should consider. In a nutshell, they love the F150 but it stops there. Happy shopping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you can say I'm definitely not brand loyal after having 3 Ram Trucks...the most recent being a 3/4 ton 2016 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel/6 speed transmission. I pull a 2018 Cougar (Half Ton?) 5th wheel. After hitting the scales numerous times, I found I couldn't make the vehicle load capacity work with regard to trailer cargo, resulting pin weight and the GVWR of the truck. Despite the fact that the Ram 2500 towed my 5th wheel very comfortably (I loved that truck), I ultimately decided to upgrade to a 1 ton truck for reasons of safety, warranty protection, insurance concerns, potential legal liability, and yes...peace of mind. I ended up choosing a 2020 Silverado 3500 Diesel/10 speed transmission and I'm exceptionally happy with the new ride. Now the numbers all work in my favor based on my maximum load configurations and, in my opinion, the towing performance is better.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I purchased a 2020 3500HD srw Silvarado to pull our 367bhs. We had a 2019 2500HD Silverado but wasn't quite heavy enough. (10k vs 12300). I love the additions to the 2020 over the 2019 for towing. The step in the bed side helps when hooking up fifth wheel. The new 10 speed allison trans shifts great. The truck keeps track of miles put on any c\trailer you might tow. Auto drop tailgate is great when backing under the fifth wheel. Ours is the 6.6 DuraMax but so was the 2019. With a snow plow pkg the front end is heavier. The companion hitch on the 20 has the connections on the inside of the lower part instead of outer. This allows things to slide by without getting caught. The 3500 has a larger cab than the 2019 3/4 ton. Mirrors slide out electronicly. when turn signals are used the mirror cameras show down the side of the truck and trailer.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast