User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Tow Vehicle Questions

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD to tow my 2670MK.

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but went from being a GM truck guy if decades to RAM. That said, size your new truck to the next camper you will likely buy and not your current camper. That would be the best advice I can offer you.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I'm not necessarily brand loyal, but went from being a GM truck guy if decades to RAM. That said, size your new truck to the next camper you will likely buy and not your current camper. That would be the best advice I can offer you.
    Thanks! We just bought are 2020GD, so I plan on staying with it for at least 10 years if it holds up. We love it.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^

As an owner of a 3/4 ton diesel truck, it is doubtful I would ever by another 3/4 ton. As a general rule, there is too much payload lost versus a 1 ton and the price in negligible between the two.

YMMV. Buy what you will be happy with and enjoy your travels and adventure.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffnCheri View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^

As an owner of a 3/4 ton diesel truck, it is doubtful I would ever by another 3/4 ton. As a general rule, there is too much payload lost versus a 1 ton and the price in negligible between the two.

Agreed. however with the 2020 GM's its not quite as bad since they have broken through the 10K GVWR ceiling that had been on 3/4 tons. In fact I believe a 2020 2500 is rated higher than my 2017 3500SRW.

I still would go with a 3500. You never know what the future holds. The cost difference should be minimal though the ride will probably be a little harsher.

Good Luck!
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ this ^^^

So look at maybe F350, used, as well?
    Ed & Kaitlin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a new 2020 Silverado 2500 HD to tow my 2670MK.

What's your opinion on this truck? Any specific specs I should look into? Also, do you recommend any other trucks to tow this, and for what reason?

I'd like to get as much input from the community as possible before I make such a large purchase.
    I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 HD LT and we love it. It has plenty of power to pull our 295rl. I have pulled with it twice now and the truck rides really well. I purchased my truck in March, so we use it as a daily driver for my wife right now. It runs great, gets the same gas mileage as my 2013 Expedition. My concern was this is the first year for the 6.6 engine from GM, so we got an extended warranty on the truck. So far no complains.

Here is a post I made after my first tow with it.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...erado-2500-HD)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ this ^^^

Honestly, for most of the country, at least Ford (which I know well, having been through my share of them), there's no reason for the 250 to exist at all except they keep selling them. 250 is a 350 that's been derated and doesn't have an overload spring. The price is nearly identical, and the payload on a 350 SRW is much higher. Now, for some states (like mine, SC) the derate can be a big deal, the difference in tax is pretty significant once you move up to a 350 (and it's something you pay every year here, the tax on my 450 was ~3.5K the first year compared to about 2K for a 250, same year, nearly the same cost/value). But if you don't happen to live in a state that has that restriction, just skip the 250; either a 350 SRW or a 450. The 350 DRW is another one that probably shouldn't exist, it's so close to a 450, but the 450 turns a lot better and has more "beef" in a few areas. Basically, in my view,the trucks should go (in Ford anyway), 150, 350SRW, 450DRW. Certain combos just don't make a lot of sense, top of the list is the 250; a 350 with a different sticker on it that severely limits your towing capabilities. That's a silly thing if your in a state that doesn't pay "by weight".

The price seems to be pretty much identical between a 250 and 350 configured the same, maybe there's a few hundred in difference for the overload spring, IDK, but it's close enough that for any new vehicle purchase, it can get lost in the paperwork.

Simple answer, if you are looking at any big RV's, first choice, get a 450. If there are some things that you cannot deal with in a 450 (mileage, very few tires available, etc) and your camper isn't crazy heavy, get a 350 SRW. The 250 and 350 DRW just don't make much sense when you compare the price of a 250 to 350SRW or 350DRW to a 450.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Honestly, for most of the country, at least Ford (which I know well, having been through my share of them), there's no reason for the 250 to exist at all except they keep selling them. 250 is a 350 that's been derated and doesn't have an overload spring. The price is nearly identical, and the payload on a 350 SRW is much higher. Now, for some states (like mine, SC) the derate can be a big deal, the difference in tax is pretty significant once you move up to a 350 (and it's something you pay every year here, the tax on my 450 was ~3.5K the first year compared to about 2K for a 250, same year, nearly the same cost/value). But if you don't happen to live in a state that has that restriction, just skip the 250; either a 350 SRW or a 450. The 350 DRW is another one that probably shouldn't exist, it's so close to a 450, but the 450 turns a lot better and has more "beef" in a few areas. Basically, in my view,the trucks should go (in Ford anyway), 150, 350SRW, 450DRW. Certain combos just don't make a lot of sense, top of the list is the 250; a 350 with a different sticker on it that severely limits your towing capabilities. That's a silly thing if your in a state that doesn't pay "by weight".

The price seems to be pretty much identical between a 250 and 350 configured the same, maybe there's a few hundred in difference for the overload spring, IDK, but it's close enough that for any new vehicle purchase, it can get lost in the paperwork.

Simple answer, if you are looking at any big RV's, first choice, get a 450. If there are some things that you cannot deal with in a 450 (mileage, very few tires available, etc) and your camper isn't crazy heavy, get a 350 SRW. The 250 and 350 DRW just don't make much sense when you compare the price of a 250 to 350SRW or 350DRW to a 450.
    What part of SC are you in? I’m in Spartanburg county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast