User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I was the one to stat this particular thread I guess I should contribute my final 2 cents to it. I did switch to a slider base with my Silverado. And hated it. The particular Husky slider setup was awful. it did not easily "slide" in either direction. The hitch head was loose and clunky. Add to that a trip to the Lake Champlain region of Vermont which convinced me that the Silverado was badly under powered. The Green Mountains kicked its butt. on paper the "150 Series" and the 2500HD looked like a great match.... not!

So lessons learned: Do the research and when convinced... do it again. I assumed that a 3/4 ton must be able to easily handle a "1/2 ton towable" fifth wheel. Do the math, and don't rely on a single source for numbers. The Chevy towing guide wants to sell trucks and the Trailer Life towing guide wants to sell trailers, so neither is 100% reliable. Changing Lanes has a really good video on how to calculate your towing needs and capability, but it does take a little work to get it right. Don't buy the hype. "Turning Point" has its good points, but it's not going to work for everyone. The "150 Series" of 5'vers is put out there as "1/2 ton towable". My opinion, I think for someone who is primarily a weekender who travels no more than a couple of hours on mostly flat roadways and really doesn't want a truck bigger than a 1/2 tonner with a 6 1/2 foot bed, the setup is adequate. But if you plan to tow long trips and do some decent climbing, you better look at a "truck".

We're fortunate to have a good relationship with our local Ford dealer. He treated me extremely well on a trade for an F250 Lariat, 6.7 Power Stroke diesel and 8 foot bed. OMG, what a difference. We just finished our first trip with the new truck up through the White Mountains in NH. I always chuckled to myself when someone would say "tows like the trailer's not even back there". Now I know, that's a real experience. Couldn't be more pleased. The Ford puck system and 8 foot bed also allowed me to go to a very reasonable, stationary hitch (Curt 16A). Still have my 90 degree capability for when I need it in the back yard, but no more messing with the crummy Husky slider. And in 10 minutes I can have my full bed when I need it. The whole experience cost me some money, but fortunately no risk to life and limb (this time). But I have no one to blame but myself for not being thorough on the front end.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Picking up this thread again. Getting sway in my setup not sure why. Nothing in rear of truck and the RV is hardly loaded down so weight isn't the issue. Haven't had a smooth towing experience with this RV yet. Really leaning toward locking it out though most seem to like the Turning Point.
    This is why we went with a PullRite slider. The research I did led me to believe that there is a chance of sway with the Turning Point. And yes, we have had occaisions this past week that made me very happy (embarrassed because we ran out of road once and a VERY tight campsite)we were happy to have the hitch.
    2020 2500HD Silverado 6.5 box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12