User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point vs a slider hitch

I’m towing a 2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with a 2019 Silverado 2500HD, 6 1/2 foot bed. I’ve towed 6 times with the wedge in place and the pin box in it’s featured configuration, and only once with no wedge and the pin box locked out in the traditional configuration. The only time I need every bit of the 90 degree turning is in my backyard when I get home. The yard is less than 57 feet across and I can wiggled the truck into a 90 degree position and turn around as nice as you please. Not yet have I had to do anything like that out on the road. Ive had some issues with the wedge slopping back and forth on turns which I think I have finally corrected with a custom wedge replacement. But I find I might be interested in doing away with the whole wedge thing in favor of a sliding hitch. I‘ve confirmed that I could convert my Husky 16 KW Silver Series stationary hitch to a slider by replacing the static legs with a slider base. So the question in my mind is should I?

Pros:
    *Eliminate the wedge issue and tow conventionally
    *Keeps the pivot over the rear truck axle which has got to be better
    *Eliminate the maintenance of the pin box pivot under the trailer (no way I can do this myself)
    *Gotta say I thought there was a positive difference towing conventionally, particularly around corners and the big sweeping exit ramps. Just seemed more stable or maybe that’s wishful on my part

Cons:
    *Cost to flip to a slider is about $450 if I install myself (of course weigh that against the cost of a yearly trip to the dealer for the maintenance mentioned above)
    *Turning Point gives me an extra 22” vs 10” with the slider I’m looking at, I’ve done my due diligence and I dont believe I’ll miss the 12”.

I only need the extra turn for my backyard dance so it seems unnecessary to keep the configuration for the whole trip. Am I missing something on either side of the discussion? Also is it true that you cannot replace the Turning Point with another pin box? Love the 295RL. Just can’t get this out of my head.
    Last edited by finz04; 06-23-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Turning Point vs a slider hitch

Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    I’m towing a 2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL with a 2019 Silverado 2500HD, 6 1/2 foot bed. I’ve towed 6 times with the wedge in place and the pin box in it’s featured configuration, and only once with no wedge and the pin box locked out in the traditional configuration. The only time I need every bit of the 90 degree turning is in my backyard when I get home. The yard is less than 57 feet across and I can wiggled the truck into a 90 degree position and turn around as nice as you please. Not yet have I had to do anything like that out on the road. Ive had some issues with the wedge slopping back and forth on turns which I think I have finally corrected with a custom wedge replacement. But I find I might be interested in doing away with the whole wedge thing in favor of a sliding hitch. I‘ve confirmed that I could convert my Husky 16 KW Silver Series stationary hitch to a slider by replacing the static legs with a slider base. So the question in my mind is should I?

Pros:
    *Eliminate the wedge issue and tow conventionally
    *Keeps the pivot over the rear truck axle which has got to be better
    *Eliminate the maintenance of the pin box pivot under the trailer (no way I can do this myself)
    *Gotta say I thought there was a positive difference towing conventionally, particularly around corners and the big sweeping exit ramps. Just seemed more stable or maybe that’s wishful on my part

Cons:
    *Cost to flip to a slider is about $450 if I install myself (of course weigh that against the cost of a yearly trip to the dealer for the maintenance mentioned above)
    *Turning Point gives me an extra 22” vs 10” with the slider I’m looking at, I’ve done my due diligence and I dont believe I’ll miss the 12”.

I only need the extra turn for my backyard dance so it seems unnecessary to keep the configuration for the whole trip. Am I missing something on either side of the discussion? Also is it true that you cannot replace the Turning Point with another pin box? Love the 295RL. Just can’t get this out of my head.
    I locked out the turning point and just let the trailer rotate normally on my B&W hitch. I towed our 150 series Reflection about 7,000 miles each year for the past two years of full timing so we moved to a different campground every 4 days the first year and on average about every week or two the second year. So needless to say LOTS of different campgrounds all with different layouts and I actually have a slider hitch. I never used the slider a single time.
    I’ve yet to see any campground that required that tight of a turn.
    I’ve also heard the bearings in the turning point wear out eventually and the whole mechanism gets “wobbly”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 06-23-2020 at 07:30 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I've see some posts related to the Turning Point pivot point wear as well. Makes sense to me because that would seem to be the weak spot in the pin box/hitch setup. I try to be careful backing up to hitch, but occasionally it's a notable bump going back. You can't help but torque that pivot some of the time which will add stress to the pivot mechanism. There's a square pad in between that looks to me to be some sort of a lube disc. It spins a little.
    Last edited by finz04; 06-24-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking up this thread again. Getting sway in my setup not sure why. Nothing in rear of truck and the RV is hardly loaded down so weight isn't the issue. Haven't had a smooth towing experience with this RV yet. Really leaning toward locking it out though most seem to like the Turning Point.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Picking up this thread again. Getting sway in my setup not sure why. Nothing in rear of truck and the RV is hardly loaded down so weight isn't the issue. Haven't had a smooth towing experience with this RV yet. Really leaning toward locking it out though most seem to like the Turning Point.
    Probably because you tow with a gas-powered truck!

All kidding aside, I would definitely recommend locking it out and pivot on the hitch.
    I’ve towed this way since day one in 30 mph crosswinds with no sway at all.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Probably because you tow with a gas-powered truck!

All kidding aside, I would definitely recommend locking it out and pivot on the hitch.
    I’ve towed this way since day one in 30 mph crosswinds with no sway at all.

Hmm... towing with standard bed? Still haven't used slider?
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a slider hitch with a short bed F-250. With our Reflection 303 I have not used the slider portion yet. I have it in case I need it, but try to avoid cutting the truck/5th wheel that sharp. If I do have to cut sharply I just watch the back corner of my truck vs the front cap of the 5th wheel. If need to I pull up a bit and take several passes at backing vs one sharp cut.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have a turning point pin box but I do have a slider hitch. i am different from some others in that I use the slider every time I back into a site. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to slide the hitch and lower the tailgate. I can then focus entirely on where the 5er is and not worry about hitting the rear window. I had friend who did that and it isn’t pretty. There is an added advantage too in that the pivot point moves the 10-12” back and I believe makes the 5er easier to maneuver, it acts a little bit more like a trailer. I imagine the turning point hitch has that advantage also. I also always hitch and unhitch in the slid maneuver position, things are easier to reach and see. Different strokes.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my last month of travel (only trip this year ) I needed my slider several times.

An under 90d back in site,
    Several U turns getting out of bad places,
    True hairpin turns on mountain roads, and probably some I'm forgetting.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Put some weight in the 5er such as filling the water tank. Empty it is just a big sail back there. Give it a try - you should notice a differance.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast