Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: mounting Shunt on trailer tongue & self tapping screw

Hi again

Still gathering material for my projects. I need advice on two more topics. I need to mount the shunt for my BMV-712 on the tongue of my trailer near the battery. I feel like I need to mount it inside some sort of protection from the elements. Does anyone have a suggestion for some kind of water proof/resistant box to mount to the tongue to house it. Or maybe some idea better than a box?

The other item is, what kind of screws would you suggest for screwing electrical things, or boxes like above, to the metal frame. Ideally it would be self tapping because I would prefer not to add drilling pilot holes in the rv frame to my list of to-do(s).

Thanks
    Mike

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most mount the shunt inside a junction box used for trailer umbilical wiring. Bargman and Pollack make them. As an engineer, I do not care for self drilling screws in thin walled tube. You're better off with thread rolling screws or installing rivnuts/threaded inserts and using machine screws.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had a TT I mounted it in a small electrical junction box (purchased at Home Depot) on the frame, under the front of the trailer just behind the battery box.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I just can't bring myself to mount it "outside." I'm going to mount it in the pass through with other equipment. It will mean an extra negative wire coming out of the pass through to the frame... but I'd rather have that less than perfect wiring solution than mount it outdoors.