User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I bought 2 electric bikes (Blix, Avenys). Spent money, I thought I was done.

Then.......
    I had to buy a new bike rack - Hollywood RV Rider One of the few rated by the manufacturer FOR THE BACK OF A FIFTH WHEEL. Spent more money to get it.

Then...
    I needed a hitch on the back of my RV - spent more money.

Then...
    Spent more money on a bike bag (Swagman) to keep them clean while traveling.

Then.....
    along came Covid19 and I'm staying home a lot. At least it isn't costing more money.

Who says RVing isn't an adventure!!???
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Sande005 BTW What bike rack to you use or recommend?

The statement in the manual is only a CYA from the legal department. I did download and read the manual prior to purchase. I also found multiple recommendations for this bike rack from RV owners who have used the KUAT NV 2.0 for several years with no failures. Some of these users had experienced failures with other bike racks.

This is the heaviest and most solidly built bike rack on the market. I’ve used it for 3 years on the back of by Class A and now my Solitude. IN MY OPINION, there is absolutely no reason not to use the KUAT NV 2.0 on an RV of any type with the appropriate hitch. It is up to the consumer to determine if the desired use of a product is appropriate as the consumer will bear the consequences.
    As you noted, it is up to the buyer to decide whether to believe the manufacturer or not. If a manufacturer wants to cut out sales to a good sized segment of the market, I'm pretty sure the statement is there for a reason beyond CYA.
    Swagman, Yakima, Hollywood and others have realized that and designed racks suitable for standard bikes on an RV.
    I haven't seen one yet for e-bikes and an RV, but have not searched for one. I put mine in the back of the truck.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any trouble with your bumper twisting or falling off?

I have a 2021 Imagine 22MLE and I am wondering if this rack plus two 30 pound bikes will ruin my bumper.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    Sande005 BTW What bike rack to you use or recommend?

The statement in the manual is only a CYA from the legal department. I did download and read the manual prior to purchase. I also found multiple recommendations for this bike rack from RV owners who have used the KUAT NV 2.0 for several years with no failures. Some of these users had experienced failures with other bike racks.

This is the heaviest and most solidly built bike rack on the market. I’ve used it for 3 years on the back of by Class A and now my Solitude. IN MY OPINION, there is absolutely no reason not to use the KUAT NV 2.0 on an RV of any type with the appropriate hitch. It is up to the consumer to determine if the desired use of a product is appropriate as the consumer will bear the consequences.
    Do you just use a bolt-on hitch to slide your Kuat into? If so, any signs of the bumper twisting?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There us a welded hitch on the bumper of the Solitude. That is what I use with no problems.
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I am going to try the bolt-on hitch and my Kuat to carry our bikes on our new Imagine. If the bumper falls off ... then I guess I'll go to Plan B. The Kuat is so nice I really don't feel like buying another "RV approved" rack. Both our bikes are under 30 lbs so I am hoping the Kuat and bumper can handle them.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had a bumper mounted bike rack and having it break free and destroying 2 mountain bikes *@$1000 each), I'd say that's not the way to go. We have a 2600 and had the dealer mount a hitch to the frame. We can carry up to 3 bikes and it's stable. The bumper is made of thin metal, not designed for a hitch that bounces around. And remember the spare is mounted on the bumper, you probably have a sewer hose in the bumper and the weight of the bumper itself is subtracted from what it can supposedly hold. Consider what your bikes are worth and the cost of repairing the bumper. There is a reason Grand Design and every other trailer manufacturer and even bike rack makers say don't mount bike racks on the flimsy bumper. Spend the money and have a hitch mounted to the frame.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the bumper break off of your 2600?

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine-r-Joe View Post
    Did the bumper break off of your 2600?
    No, however the metal on the 2016 trailer we had was about 30% thicker (the insurance company measured that bumper during their investigation and I've measured the steel on our 2600's bumper). And that one Jayco said the limit was 350lb. Total weight of the bikes was about 85 lbs, the hitch was 40 lb and the bumper mount was 12lb. Understand these racks are not solid mounts and the bikes are shaking or whipping as you travel. The shear force eventually can either break the mount or destroy the bumper. In our case the whipping tore the bumper from the frame. Insurance company sent the metal for analysis and found metal fatigue due to twisting action. They did cover the bikes (after deductible) but would not cover the bumper as their position we exceeded it's limits. Luckily the spare tire didn't drop lower. And the break occurred while on I-90 in Montana, and no one was close enough to be hit by the bouncing bikes. I'd hate to think about the liability and highly probable injuries if someone hit them at 70+mph.

Remember the steel used to make these bumpers is thinner than the metal in the tailgate of my 2020 Superduty. It is not structural in any way shape or form.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    No, however the metal on the 2016 trailer we had was about 30% thicker (the insurance company measured that bumper during their investigation and I've measured the steel on our 2600's bumper). And that one Jayco said the limit was 350lb. Total weight of the bikes was about 85 lbs, the hitch was 40 lb and the bumper mount was 12lb. Understand these racks are not solid mounts and the bikes are shaking or whipping as you travel. The shear force eventually can either break the mount or destroy the bumper. In our case the whipping tore the bumper from the frame. Insurance company sent the metal for analysis and found metal fatigue due to twisting action. They did cover the bikes (after deductible) but would not cover the bumper as their position we exceeded it's limits. Luckily the spare tire didn't drop lower. And the break occurred while on I-90 in Montana, and no one was close enough to be hit by the bouncing bikes. I'd hate to think about the liability and highly probable injuries if someone hit them at 70+mph.

Remember the steel used to make these bumpers is thinner than the metal in the tailgate of my 2020 Superduty. It is not structural in any way shape or form.
    Sounds like a terrible experience!

Does anyone know of a frame mounted, bolt-on hitch that would work well for my Imagine 22MLE? This one looks like it might work but I am not sure it will mount low enough to fit under my bumper.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...ustomerReviews

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast