User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might want to check with etrailer.com. They have a wide selection of hitches.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Might want to check with etrailer.com. They have a wide selection of hitches.
    I think this might solve my problem. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210616_125239.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	35015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210616_125209.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	35014

I bought 4 of these bumper support brackets, drilled holes through the frame, and bought some hardened bolts (the provided bolts were not long enough to go through both supports and the frame), and mounted one on support on each side of the frame where the bumper is welded. Since the American made supports claim to be 25% stronger but cost twice as much, I went with the Chinese made ones.

Total cost: $76 for the supports and $6 for the bolts.
    I did use the nylon locking nuts and washers supplied with the supports.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double up eh! [emoji3] . I went with just the 1 pair.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine-r-Joe View Post
    I think this might solve my problem. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210616_125239.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	35015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210616_125209.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	35014

I bought 4 of these bumper support brackets, drilled holes through the frame, and bought some hardened bolts (the provided bolts were not long enough to go through both supports and the frame), and mounted one on support on each side of the frame where the bumper is welded. Since the American made supports claim to be 25% stronger but cost twice as much, I went with the Chinese made ones.

Total cost: $76 for the supports and $6 for the bolts.
    I did use the nylon locking nuts and washers supplied with the supports.

I have a US claim. I have a dozen bridges for sale in NYC, San Francisco and Florida Keys. Those claims are the same as those claims for regrowing hair with the disclaimer "these claims have not been verified by FDA or any other agency:. My step son is a PhD metallurgist and has run tests on both US and Chinese metals (equivalent products but not these particular units) and found false claims about equal with US and Chinese suppliers.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    I have a US claim. I have a dozen bridges for sale in NYC, San Francisco and Florida Keys. Those claims are the same as those claims for regrowing hair with the disclaimer "these claims have not been verified by FDA or any other agency:. My step son is a PhD metallurgist and has run tests on both US and Chinese metals (equivalent products but not these particular units) and found false claims about equal with US and Chinese suppliers.
    I’m just a BS Metallurgist but have assessed steel producers all over the world. Even a cursory look at these brackets says they’re cut from very ordinary flat rolled steel of the sort produced en masse everywhere on earth. They just stiffen up the joint, avoiding fatigue of the welds by reducing the strain and deflection the welds experience. Please note: heat treatment, hardness, and strength have absolutely no effect on stiffness. Higher strength brackets would only serve to prevent yielding or fatigue of the bracket itself. When you double up on brackets, you’ve doubled the stiffening effect that protects the welds, a pretty effective idea but probably unnecessary.
    Last edited by dkayak; 06-21-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s the ultimate hitch mounted bike rack, announced this week but not available until next year. Now I have a reason to upgrade my trusty 2008 vintage Thule T2. The Küat Piston Pro X Hitch Rack Has No Equal
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading all the posts this is exactly why I follow no one that has anything hanging off the back of their camper.
    But you do know you don`t HAVE to use a "bike rack" to carry bikes or your E- bikes I wonder why people are suck on that issue. My E-bikes are 65 lbs each and I use a light-duty motor cycle carrier that`s rated at 400 lbs and can be used on the Space Shuttle if you want. A little heavy, 40lbs, but nothing my wife and I can`t handle to side it into the 2" receiver, they have a 3/16" carrier tube twice or better than the average bike rack which is the part that fails from the bouncing. They come with a ramp too so no trying to pick them up you just walk them up the ramp using the electric motor. The traveling public will thank you.
    Look up motorcycle carriers for 2" receivers, only about 50 examples. Remember most of the current bike racks are cheap metals or plastics made lightweight enough for a female to handle or they would loose 1/2 their customers hence they break at the slightest stress. I`m not sure I would spend 1300 dollars on one when there are many other alternatives out there.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Remember most of the current bike racks are cheap metals or plastics made lightweight enough for a female to handle or they would loose 1/2 their customers hence they break at the slightest stress. I`m not sure I would spend 1300 dollars on one when there are many other alternatives out there.
    That's what a hundred bucks or two buys. In addition to being weak and wobbly, most don't secure the bikes enough to prevent them from swinging around, banging each other up and adding stresses to the rack itself.

OTOH, the mainstream hitch mounted racks like the Thule, Yakima, etc are seriously overbuilt, have anti-wobble receivers, and prevent event the slightest bit of bike movement. However, they've never been cheap. IIRC I paid nearly $500 for my Thule T2 way back in 2008. It weighs 50 lb and anyone who rear ends it is in for whole lot of damage! It happily rides in a receiver extension behind the spare tire on our Jeep Rubicon, even on the worst roads. We carry only two bikes at a time, with each bike weighing between 18 and 23 lb. Most similar racks today sell for about $700, so this $1300 "super rack" is the outlier, although it's going to be sold in a $950 version too.

As a rule of thumb, it's good to think twice about the ratio of bike weight to rack weight. Putting 100 lb of E-bikes on a 30 lb rack is probably a really bad idea regardless of the rack's capacity rating. Putting 40 lb of bikes on a 50 lb rack gives you a nice margin of error.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkayak View Post
    That's what a hundred bucks or two buys. In addition to being weak and wobbly, most don't secure the bikes enough to prevent them from swinging around, banging each other up and adding stresses to the rack itself.

OTOH, the mainstream hitch mounted racks like the Thule, Yakima, etc are seriously overbuilt, have anti-wobble receivers, and prevent event the slightest bit of bike movement. However, they've never been cheap. IIRC I paid nearly $500 for my Thule T2 way back in 2008. It weighs 50 lb and anyone who rear ends it is in for whole lot of damage! It happily rides in a receiver extension behind the spare tire on our Jeep Rubicon, even on the worst roads. We carry only two bikes at a time, with each bike weighing between 18 and 23 lb. Most similar racks today sell for about $700, so this $1300 "super rack" is the outlier, although it's going to be sold in a $950 version too.

As a rule of thumb, it's good to think twice about the ratio of bike weight to rack weight. Putting 100 lb of E-bikes on a 30 lb rack is probably a really bad idea regardless of the rack's capacity rating. Putting 40 lb of bikes on a 50 lb rack gives you a nice margin of error.
    Ok, but are the ones you mentioned rated for the punishment an Rv can put on it, I think that`s what we are talking about. Unless it says so in the specs I`ll stay in front of you regardless of cost or reputation.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Ok, but are the ones you mentioned rated for the punishment an Rv can put on it, I think that`s what we are talking about. Unless it says so in the specs I`ll stay in front of you regardless of cost or reputation.
    The new one posted in the link is RV rated. My old Thule is not. Please understand, I’m not encouraging anyone to do anything reckless. In addition, my observations go beyond RV mounting to racks in general. RV rated is a good starting point, but keep in mind a few things.

- RV rated means the rack itself should survive RV use, but the rating doesn’t mean your bikes, car, or RV won’t be damaged.
    - A rack that’s not RV rated might well be among the more capable, but unless your background allows you to make that assessment, you should defer to the maker’s lack of a rating.
    -Anti-wobble means everything, regardless of the rating or vehicle. If you pull back and forth really hard on a bike, nothing should move in any way except the vehicle suspension.
    - Low purchase price doesn’t mean lowest ownership cost. I’ll sell my $500 Thule next year for at least $150, after having used it 8-9 months per year for 14 years.
    - How much to spend depends on how you’ll use it. Shop cheaper for occasional use and don’t overlook used options in that case.
    - Hauling bikes on a roof or anywhere in the wind produces tremendous drag. It’s invisible but really quite incredible what all those spokes and cables do. They’re like huge egg beaters.
    - Four bike racks on any vehicle should be one of the premium makes, for me anyway. It’s potentially a lot of weight.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast