Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garage AC Prep Question

Hi All,

We recently upgraded to a 2020 Momentum 328G. It was a dealer stock item and was missing a few of the options we wanted, so we are having them added at the dealer level.

Unfortunately it only came with 2 AC from the factory (bedroom/living area), with "prep" for the 3rd AC in the garage. Is anyone able to confirm or deny if the garage prep AC ducts into the rest of the "race track system". Everything I can find online indicates that I am able to add a 3rd AC and the ducting/wiring should be there included with the "prep". My dealer is trying to sell me a Non-Ducted Coleman Mach - which would only allow the garage AC to cool the garage, and not integrate with the rest of the system. As we can only run 2/3 AC at a time having them all ducted together is a nice feature, also as a back up if one goes out on a long trip.

I am planning on trying to contact GD myself to confirm, but figured id ask the community to see if anyone out there has added the garage AC after the fact, and may know the answer.

Happy Rving!
    2020 328G
    2016 Ram 3500 SRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the garage "prepped" unit will have to be a stand-a-lone unit and not tied into the existing ductwork. Hopefully someone that knows for sure comes along and can give you an answer. I base this guess on a previous trailer (non G.D.) that was prepped. I added an A/C unit to that one, and it was stand alone. The 120VAC was there, the 12VDC was there, the thermostat cable was there, but no ductwork.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the garage "prepped" unit will have to be a stand-a-lone unit and not tied into the existing ductwork. Hopefully someone that knows for sure comes along and can give you an answer. I base this guess on a previous trailer (non G.D.) that was prepped. I added an A/C unit to that one, and it was stand alone. The 120VAC was there, the 12VDC was there, the thermostat cable was there, but no ductwork.
    We have a 320G with garage AC and it is integrated into existing ductwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ductwork is there, or you wouldn't have any cooling without the garage a/c unit.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The ductwork is there, or you wouldn't have any cooling without the garage a/c unit.
    I'm not saying that you are wrong; you probably know more about it than I do. The reason that I made my guess is that in a previous trailer that I had (again, a non G.D. brand), the garage area was prepped for an additional A/C unit..AND there were two A/C outlet registers in the garage. But, when the new A/C that I bought was installed there was nothing in that 14"x 14" opening area that could or would allow you to integrate the add on unit with any of the existing duct from the main A/C unit. Maybe the grand design does things differently...and it would certainly be great if that is in fact the way it works......mine didn't, so I just had to deal with what I was given.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    We have a 320G with garage AC and it is integrated into existing ductwork.

But the question is.....was the A/C installed from the Factory.....or was it installed after the trailer was build.....like installed by the dealer or you?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @alex604 Why can you only run 2/3 AC at a time? We run all 3 all the time, no problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    @alex604 Why can you only run 2/3 AC at a time? We run all 3 all the time, no problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We do that also.....on really hot days all three will be running.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    But the question is.....was the A/C installed from the Factory.....or was it installed after the trailer was build.....like installed by the dealer or you?
    It was a factory installed option. For what it’s worth, I don’t see any real benefit of going through the effort of tying the third AC into the ductwork. Reason being even though you are pushing air though the central vents the unit still runs on its own thermostat. I installed a second AC on my last trailer and ended up not connecting it to the existing ducts because it was going to require replacing $400 in the thermostat and controllers. I didn’t regret it. Worked fine A unit in the garage tied into the trailer ductwork with two other units moving air through the trailer has minimal benefit IMHO since they operate independently anyways. I would stay with the same model of AC with the wall thermostat as OEM from GD.

2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Momentum also came with three units installed from the factory, and they are all tied into the racetrack ductwork...but, each one of them has it's own thermostat located in the room or area that they are in...garage, living area/kitchen, and the bedroom. When I need all three of them running, I usually "stagger" the thermostat settings and put the living area/kitchen thermostat on the temperature setpoint that we want. Then the bedroom is usually set a degree or two higher, and the garage is adjusted as needed. We use the garage area for our dog's crate when camped, unless we have visitors staying the night...then they can adjust to whatever is comfortable for them. I like the idea of having all three of them outputted to the racetrack and it has served up well so far....and actually, I'm also happy that each unit has it's own separate thermostat in the room that it's in vs. one thermostat with zone sensors for the other areas.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually