User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why everyone is saying he is close to the limit, he is way over on payload to the tune of 820 lbs. GVWR on his rig, according to the sticker he posted, is 10,100 and the scale ticket shows 10,920 sitting on the TV axles. GVWR-actual curb weight=available payload, in the case of the OP he has only 1,960 lbs of available payload before hooking up.
    I have a a very similar rig albeit a Ford and when I found out how much available payload I had left my only choices were a new truck or get a small bumper pull. Crew cabs, 4X4 and diesel engines eat up a lot of payload not to mention advertised payload is very optimistic, my actual curb weight cuts my advertised payload by over 400 lbs and that is after subtracting everything I could think of including fuel and tools. ( I even weighed my seat covers)
    Last edited by bigb56; 06-28-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat we are trying to decide between Grand Reflection 295RL with hitch weight 1390 and trailer weight 8,500 empty, or the 337RLS. I thought the 2020 Chevy 2500 would be enough to pull both campers. From my calculations I would right at 3,200 pay load, Max payload is 3,300. My friends who tow said it would be all right and truck will handle the payload, but I have my doubts. What did you decide new truck or different camper? Chevy does state 18,500 goose neck towing, bit only 3,300 pay load. After reading this I guess I go with the 295RL. I love my truck and really did not want a dully or 3500. Let me know if decide to stick with the 2500.

I know it will handle the 295RL with no issues and plenty of payload left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knipper64 View Post
    I am in the same boat we are trying to decide between Grand Reflection 295RL with hitch weight 1390 and trailer weight 8,500 empty, or the 337RLS. I thought the 2020 Chevy 2500 would be enough to pull both campers. From my calculations I would right at 3,200 pay load, Max payload is 3,300. My friends who tow said it would be all right and truck will handle the payload, but I have my doubts. What did you decide new truck or different camper? Chevy does state 18,500 goose neck towing, bit only 3,300 pay load. After reading this I guess I go with the 295RL. I love my truck and really did not want a dully or 3500. Let me know if decide to stick with the 2500.

I know it will handle the 295RL with no issues and plenty of payload left.
    I haven't made up my mind yet. Just today I removed the tailgate, folding hard tonneau cover, some tools, hitch balls and mounts, and some other stuff I carry from the truck. I headed straight to the scales (with 2 adults and a full tank) and compared to my last weight I managed to shed 220 lbs from the truck. We have lightened the load in the RV also by pulling out items we don't need in the basement and are carrying less food and supplies with the plan to fetch stuff from closest town to our next campgrounds. We leave tomorrow morning for a week and a half long trip and I plan on crossing the CAT Scales bright and early tomorrow morning with the truck and 337RLS. Then I'll be able to re-calculate the numbers to see how we did lightening up. I'd be surprised if we managed to shed 800lbs but I'm anxious to see the results.

So, my mind is not yet made up on which course of action I'll take, I'll know better in a week and a half - I'm leaning towards a new truck but like you would rather not buy a dually. I will if the numbers force me too but after looking at a 2020 version of the same RAM Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 I have now, the newer truck has about 1,000 to 1,150 lbs more payload capacity than my 2009 3500 and about 900 to 1,700 higher GVWR depending on engine choice. Based on my earlier weights, that would just may work for me. However, if I ever consider a getting a heavier rig to travel more or do some full time RVing then a dually would be a must.

Stay tuned....
    2014 Reflection 337RLS 5th
    2009 Ram 3500 4x4 QC SB SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the dislike for dually's? Having had a few trucks, and now a F450, it's really a non-issue 99.9% of the time. In fact, it's never been an issue, but car washes and drive thru, if you use them, yes, would be a problem (I just never use them anyway). I park it at the airport, and I take it into town. No, it's not easy to park, but neither was my 250.

IDK, I just don't see much downside in a dually having had both, tons more payload, more safety and more comfortable towing, no payload concerns. I'm really happy with mine, I should have just "gone big" years ago, but I didn't do it because I "didn't want a dually" but didn't really have a reason for not wanting one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Why the dislike for dually's? Having had a few trucks, and now a F450, it's really a non-issue 99.9% of the time. In fact, it's never been an issue, but car washes and drive thru, if you use them, yes, would be a problem (I just never use them anyway). I park it at the airport, and I take it into town. No, it's not easy to park, but neither was my 250.

IDK, I just don't see much downside in a dually having had both, tons more payload, more safety and more comfortable towing, no payload concerns. I'm really happy with mine, I should have just "gone big" years ago, but I didn't do it because I "didn't want a dually" but didn't really have a reason for not wanting one.
    It’s not a dislike dually trucks, for me it is my 7-ft wide garage doors on my house. If I had’ve built the house that wouldn’t be the case but it is. To get to my detached garage out back of the house, which has a 16ft door and is where I garage the truck and do all my maintenance work, I have a drive drive through bay on the house with 7ft wide doors both front and back. If I go the dually route it’ll cause me to widen the doors, if it is possible. Or, stop garaging the truck.

Besides that concern for me, “go big” and be done with it isn’t bad advice at all :-)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS 5th
    2009 Ram 3500 4x4 QC SB SRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2020 F350 CCLB 4x4 SRW has a 12400 GVWR and 4460 lbs payload. Don’t always need a DRW to have good payload.

Have never heard of a truck and camper being weighed after a bad accident .... usually that is not possible, Just sayin’

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are SRW rigs that can haul your trailer as noted by openrangeowners. if you get a new rig just pay attention to the gears and the payload package. You might have to order a truck but that's no big deal. I doubt I'll ever buy off the lot again. The new trucks can haul and tow a lot more these days. My current truck replaced a Diesel Dually and it's 2x the truck that dually ever was and has 1200lbs more payload.

I had my dually for 15 years and drove it everywhere. It was never an issue but I like the SRW better as it fits my use better since it's my daliy driver, boat hauler, and offroad exploring rig (this is debatable haha). I don't think a dually is needed for a 337. Now if a guy was going to upgrade to a bigger Solitude, then a dually might be a consideration.

my 2 cents...
    2022 F350 DRW - Lariat, LBCC, 4x4, 7.3L, 4.30 gears
    2018 Imagine 2150RB (SOLD)
    2005 Four Wheel Camper, Grandby (Slide-in Popup)
    2020 Reflection 337RLS (SOLD)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

We're on the road now settled in at the 1st of two campgrounds. As I mentioned, I removed the tailgate, folding hard tonneau cover, some tools, hitch balls and mounts etc and I managed to shed 220lbs off of the truck, 160lbs of that came off of the rear axle. When we hooked up for departure, after shedding some load out of the 337RLS and repositioning a few things in the basement and inside, we hit the scales again and ended up with 5700 lbs of total weight on the rear axle which is 500 lbs under the truck's Rear GAWR, 480 lbs less than scale reading we had on our first trip! We managed to drop the pin weight as well to 2,520 lbs, which was a 260 lb drop.

This trip compared to our inaugural trip:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 08.37.15.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	525.4 KB 
ID:	27712

So, if my math is correct:

GVWR - we're still over on my 10,100 GVWR by only 340 lbs this time, much less than the 1,420 lbs we were over on our first outing.
    PAYLOAD - at 3,378 lbs we're still over trucks rated 2,967 lbs payload capacity by 411 lbs, but again much less than 891 lbs the last time.
    Truck's Rear GAWR - we are 500 lbs under this trip, and were only 20 lbs under first trip. This makes me feel a whole lot better!

I'm not sure I can shed much more but am looking at what is possible. If I ran with a half tank of fuel or less that would drop another 100 lbs. I am feeling a little more comfortable but a new version of my same truck will solve this.
    Last edited by yellow_boss; 07-02-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't already have one, you could shed another 150-200 lbs by using an Andersen hitch. Remember to that the payload rating assumes an "unbraked" load, such as a load of sand, and is computed to ~80% of OEM tire load rating. You ain't gonna break that HD Ram by carrying the load you're talking about. If you want to do something to improve safety, get yourself some electric/hydraulic disc brakes on your 337. There's much more danger of that girl pushing you through an intersection or into a jack knife situation in a hard stop, (with her marginal - inadequate electric brakes) than any accident caused by overloading the door sticker.
    Last edited by grassmaster; 07-05-2020 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    things have sure changed in 8 years my 2018 RAM 3/4 ton has 800 lbs less payload and 4000 lbs less GVWR than your 1 ton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast