Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Sollitude factory disc brakes

Hi all - Just picked up my Solitude yesterday and have a couple questions specifically on the disc brakes. During my PDI, I noticed a couple other techs with their heads in the front compartment. I asked what's up and turns out mine was the 2nd unit they've ever received w/ the factory disc brake option (this is a big dealership mind you). They were checking the fluid level because the first one they saw was bone dry from the factory. That first customer had some compatibility issues w/ the system that I've read about in other threads.

In my case, with the plug attached to the truck, there was no issue with the truck recognizing the trailer and it allowed me the option to choose EOH for the brake system. I could squeeze the brake levers and feel them working.

However being new to a big trailer like this, I'm not sure what I should be feeling. There seems to be a slight delay from when I apply the brakes to when I can really feel them grab and then they grab hard. Do I need to try other gain settings? Or is there some break in period required? There was definitely some braking power, but not as smooth as I was expecting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad they checked your fluid! With a fresh install, weeps can happen as well as you never know how well they were bled after install. Good on them!

The feel is really up to you. Some folks like the trailer to lead (pull on the tow vehicle) and some like it to follow when braking. I personally am one who like about as neutral of a feel as I can obtain - braking changes as the friction material warms so it may follow at first and the lead when you've been in tow a bit.

As for new disc brakes, and for any braking system for that matter, bedding has to occur (transfer of friction material into the rotor surface). I would wager there's nothing in the owner's manual about this either, but it really needs to be done if you want good performance out of the gate. It can occur over the regular usage, but you will never have the same level of performance as proper bedding while fresh because of the oxidation that occurs as well as the hardening of the rotors, which rejects the transfer to greater and greater extent till they reach the full hardened state. Do some internet homework, hitch up, and go bed those brakes!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - Just picked up my Solitude yesterday and have a couple questions specifically on the disc brakes. During my PDI, I noticed a couple other techs with their heads in the front compartment. I asked what's up and turns out mine was the 2nd unit they've ever received w/ the factory disc brake option (this is a big dealership mind you). They were checking the fluid level because the first one they saw was bone dry from the factory. That first customer had some compatibility issues w/ the system that I've read about in other threads.

In my case, with the plug attached to the truck, there was no issue with the truck recognizing the trailer and it allowed me the option to choose EOH for the brake system. I could squeeze the brake levers and feel them working.

However being new to a big trailer like this, I'm not sure what I should be feeling. There seems to be a slight delay from when I apply the brakes to when I can really feel them grab and then they grab hard. Do I need to try other gain settings? Or is there some break in period required? There was definitely some braking power, but not as smooth as I was expecting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Nice choice of truck and trailer... of course I'm a bit biased...

Anyhow.... It sounds like at least there was fluid in your system and it's good the PDI guys checked. On my setup there is a slight delay between when I depress the truck's brake pedal and application of the trailer brakes. Same goes for when I manually activate the trailer brakes with the Ford brake controller in the cab. I think it has to do with the trailer's disc brake system having to start the pump motor to apply the hydraulic pressure. I feel like the delay is minimal, others may feel different. I can say that having had to do a major panic stop on the freeway once the brakes did what they should - brought us to a safe stop quickly and under control. We like those brakes.

Read your owners manual for the Ford. You'll find that at a low speed it won't activate the trailer brakes. And you'll notice that if you leave a place like a campground exit that is downhill and you are going slow (probably less than 9 or 10 MPH or maybe under 3 MPH - can't remember). You'll notice it takes more brake pressure to bring you to a stop; it really isn't an issue but know that there is some logic for speed versus pressure. And you'll also find that when stopped if you apply only a small brake pedal pressure the brake controller does not activate the trailer brakes; it will still hold you in place (nice Ford Hillassist) so no worries there either. You can also confirm this by watching the trailer brake pressure applied via one of the trailering screens on the Ford dashboard (or maybe it is the off-road screen) - either way - watching that display will acquaint you pretty good with the operation of the Ford-to-trailer lash-up.

Enjoy your travels.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 06-26-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The delay you describe is the time (less than a second) that it takes for the pump in the brake actuator to spin up and crate enough pressure to actuate the brakes. Perfectly normal.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to give those who've opted in the factory disc brakes a heads up: I noticed one of my brake lines was precariously rubbing on the bottom edge of the frame. Looking at the image attached you can see as the suspension goes up/down, this brake line will likely fail over time. It was a simple fix to loosen the flare nut and rotate it out of the way but wow, it should have never left the factory like this. Even still, the way they routed the lines really has me raising my eyebrow. If I were to do this again, I would not opt in the disc brakes and instead have it upgraded by someone who knows what they're doing.

Does anyone know if all the lines are tied together with one manifold? In other words, if one brake line fails, do I loose pressure for the entire system?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brake line.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	27696
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are all tied together. One line runs from the pump and there are areas where it splits into multiple lines - depends on what they decided to do. Most likely they run the line down one side, use a 3 way splitter to split between two wheels and a cross over line to the other side, then they split it 2 ways for the other 2 tires. That is what I have seen in all of the YouTube install videos. It is not like a car where they divide the axles. It is similar to how electric drum brakes are wired.

If you loose any line, they all fail unless the splitters have some sort of check valve (don't think they do though).

Take a look at this ....

https://videos.etrailer.com/static/images/video/install-hydrastar-trailer-disc-brake-kit-2017-grand-design-solitude-5w-toy-hauler-hse7k-t1_web.mp4

The main difference is that GD probably custom cuts and flares each metal line instead of looping the excess.
    Last edited by openrangeowners; 07-01-2020 at 09:01 AM.