User Tag List

Thread: New F150

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New F150

Just reading about the 2021 F150, some pretty cool stuff in there. Hybrid, which, IMHO, is really where pickups need to go until batteries and charging get a LOT better than they are today. And, because it's a hybrid, it has a big generator on board that gives you a whopping 7KW of power available in the bed (yes, like a power plug, 110/220 in the bed of the truck). That's really cool/neat, and could be really interesting for RV'ers; instead of dropping 5K on a genny, just hook your truck up when boondocking. Pretty neat, especially, depending on how it works (will you drain the batteries and then the engine come on to charge them back up, for example)? Don't know, but interesting.

The thing that might get me to buy a new truck is a diesel/electric SuperDuty. Electric engines are great at towing, diesels are great at running at constant RPMs. Put some batteries between them and build a diesel/electric with regenerative engine braking. That would by super/interesting to me, could probably use a much, much smaller diesel engine running at a constant RPM either directly powering the motors or charging batteries (when you're foot isn't on the floor). You'd think that we could make something quite a bit more effecient this way, you wouldn't need as big an engine and that engine could always run at the "sweet spot" for RPMs, plus whatever you can suck out of the brakes going downhill. Hey, I've bought 3 trucks in 2 years, why not another 1, right?

I suspect that's a ways out, in fact, AFAIK, nobody has even tried a diesel electric hybrid; but, the tech has been there for a long time; add in batteries to give storage for braking and to provide more "pop" when you need it, a smaller diesel engine, 1500-2000 ft/lbs of torque.. Plug in when you get home to charge the assist batteries, then out onto the road with unlimited range by filling the tank? Yeah, that would have me going to the dealer for a test drive, for sure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I watched the reveal on YouTube and it has a lot of neat things that are new and innovative but I just wonder if you can get all that tech or even the hybrid in an xl or xlt trim. I bet it will just be available in the high end trims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk