User Tag List

Thread: Disappointing!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointing!

So my fellow Pennsylvanians know the Governor has a phased reopening here. This past weekend we were camping just outside of Gettysburg, which resides in a County that went green this past Friday, which means masks still needed, 6ft distance, limited groups, low occupancy in restaurants/bars.

The campground was packed, and I could count on one hand those wearing masks and really practicing social distancing. The park staff and office had it down - nice job. Going into Gettysburg, same story. The establishments were following orders, but the general public failing miserably.

Back at the sticks and bricks, which is in a different county, and more of the same. Went to a Rita's with Nikki last night, no-one wearing a mask, everyone piled on one another in-line - we left. Tonight I was at a Sheetz in a yellow county filling up, and more of the same. Sheetz staff also doing NOTHING to enforce mask requirement or separation. Zero regard all-arouns! Acting invincible! Glad my observation point was from the lonely, remote diesel island.

Why do I bring this up? Because Nikki works in the ED of the Regional, which is part of a hospital system spanning throughout PA of many medical facilities. Guess what? The COVID19 beds are almost full again at her hospital, and guess what is happening down in Adam's County? Wonder how long the lag will be in reporting this out of the governor's office? More counties with higher population go green this week so if we're going to continue to shirk some commonsense and social responsibility, PA is going to end up inline with other States that are experiencing reopening surges...

Another incredulous statement I heard made on national news, in paraphrase, was that while new cases are peaking to April highs, the mortality rate is lower... Ummm... Noooo... How did we forget that there is a lag in that when COVID19 is fatal, it's generally a week to three later!

I hope everyone here is well and will be mindful of others. I'm personally tired of losing family and friends to this miserable thing, and having others struggling to recover... Too many in too close of time and robbed of goodbyes.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Same here in Florida. People don’t get it. Less than 30% of people in stores have masks on.

Very inconsiderate of people. Unfortunately not wearing a mask has become a political statement for some.

Hopefully the first Covid press conference in several weeks is tomorrow and the administration will get the word out.

My wife and I are in the high risk group due to age AND underlying medical conditions. I’ve lost one friend to the virus so for us it’s close to home.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good point. I'd say where I live, at least 30-50% of folks are not wearing masks and socially distancing. And yes, our county has had a huge spike in C19 cases these past few weeks. It's no surprise.

I belong to a town chat group on Facebook. It's amazing how many people are posting anti-mask diatribes. I've seen totally ignorant statements about masks causing all sorts of harm instead of actually protecting one from disease. One particularly uneducated person, went so far as to claim wearing a mask causes CO2 to be trapped under the mask, thereby harming the wearer lol!!!

The facts do not lie. Masks protect those around you and they also protect the wearer. Science has proven this over decades. My family is still sheltering in place, only venturing out to buy things we can not have delivered. Sadly this means there will be no camping or other vacations for us this year. But these are unprecedented times. I wish everyone here well. Be smart - wear a mask and stay safe!
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that lots of people are ignoring the facts. We have a similar problem here as well. In the are where we live it is not quite as bad. I would say that 70% of the people are wearing masks at the stores. I tend to stay close to home so not much other experience besides the grocery store and the odd trip to Canadian Tire, Home Depot or Lowes. I have seen that in Toronto they are having problems with packed beaches. Guess most people just don't learn and put the rest of us all at risk. It really is too bad.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very much so. You need not look far the attitudes are reflected here too.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-26-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing here in SC. I had to go to Harbor Freight the other day (how many awful stories start out with that lead in) and, it was really sad. Almost nobody wearing masks, except for one older black gentlemen who looked terrified because of all the people standing right next to him/brushing up against him/etc. Probably in the high risk group because of age or comorbidity. What a crying shame, I'm in the very low risk group, and all I could think is "these people, through their actions, are telling you that you are not worth masking up for, your life matters less to them than the "discomfort" of wearing a mask". Because, make no mistake, that's exactly what this is, your life matters so little to me that the minor hassle of masking up and keeping my distance is just "too much to ask". Well, OK, that's a position, but let's not sugar coat it because, wow, does it say something about our society. Of course, we could say the same for the idiots weaving in/out of traffic every day too and the million other things that many people do to needlessly endanger those near them either for their own personal gain/comfort or just plain laziness.

I'm really not sure we're meant to live in large social groups. We all seem to think we are, and we all seem to act like "we care" about others, but, when the rubber meets the road, I think our collective actions tell a different story. This just seems to be confirmation of that general theme.

The facts do not lie. Masks protect those around you and they also protect the wearer. Science has proven this over decades.
    And proven it definitely for COVID with the stats coming out of NYC. First responders/medical staff, despite working right next to/up close and personal with people who have COVID ALL DAY, every day, are coming down with it at rates LESS than the general population. If you need a clearer indication that masks work, well.. Good luck, because I'm not sure you'll find one.

Simple fact is this, when we can all get N95's again, we can pretty much resume our lives with masks on pretty safely. The cloth/surgical masks are better than nothing, but they don't convey the same level of protection an N95 does, not even close. And N95's are more about protecting the wearer than about protecting other people, so maybe, with that selfish motive front and center, people will actually start to wear them?
    Last edited by Overtaxed; 06-26-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm out camping now in north central Pa and had reason to run out. Going through the town of Tioga The local F&AM were having roasted chicken BBQ which normally I would have put the brakes on to have. At 10:30 AM on my way out there were at least 20 people standing around the pit socializing for the most part and not a mask in sight. On the way back, just after noon fewer people but the same amount of discretion. Not even those caring for the pit were masked. Even though my mouth was watering, I just kept on going.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 06-27-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I'm out camping now in north central Pa and had reason to run out. Going through the town of Tioga The local F&AM were having roasted chicken BBQ which normally I would have put the brakes on to have. At 10:30 AM on my way out there were at least 20 people standing around the pit socializing for the most part and not a mask in sight. On the way back, just after noon fewer people but the same amount of discretion. Not even the those caring for the pit were masked. Even though my mouth was watering, I just kept on going.
    Sounds like you're around Ives Run. There's been a lot of resistance in that general area to the Governor's orders and just really respect thy neighbor, unfortunately. When we were at Ives Run a few weeks back - just a day visit with family camping, the campers were really great about it. I don't recall seeing anyone without a mask except within their campsite and folks were chatting from edge of road to fellow campers. To our surprise, even children were playing apart from one another but still having fun. History does repeat itself in cycles as both science and written records reveal. So, waxing philophically, is the question will this be a cycle for smaller population event landing in the ~100-yr cycles, or the start of a 1000-yr event ala ushering a Second Dark Age at a possible extreme? Who can say, but history shows us (note I didn't use teaches us) huge events have been ushered in by ignoring a seeding event turning a blind eye with a "not us" or "not here" or "not me" perspective...

Whew, need to lighten it but it's hard when we learned this morning friends, husband and wife, full-timers in year 2 of their early retirement adventures, have passed away from COVID19 complications at 57 and 59 years old... Had no idea until reaching out again to try to check on them on their cell phone and was surprised when their adult daughter answered. Marly had no idea who she should call with the news. Passed June 7 and June 12.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to southern Oregon last week for 4 days in a state park. Riding my bike down the river road one day, I caught the smell of a strange burning weed in the air. Looked down to the river & there was three HUGE rafts with about ten people on each floating down the river, passing around, I guess it was, a cigarette to each other Guess you can't smoke with a mask on. Kinda gave me the creeps.

After getting home, I went fishing yesterday, after parking my truck I was walking down the launch ramp. Walking towards me were three guys shoulder to shoulder coming at me, no masks. Oh no! I'm of the age group, coming off cancer treatment so what to do? dove in the water & got into the boat that way. Got my mask wet & everything. I don't like wearing a mask either, hot, fog my glasses...but geez guys wear one on the ramp. Both of these counties, rural, the people are very independent, don't like being told what to do, gonna live forever etc. & I get that but I wish everybody could come together for a while & help beat the Corona Cooties. Makes me mad at times. Hoping I can go camping in August. Stay safe everybody!
    OK I'm off my soap box.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Sounds like you're around Ives Run. There's been a lot of resistance in that general area to the Governor's orders and just really respect thy neighbor, unfortunately. When we were at Ives Run a few weeks back - just a day visit with family camping, the campers were really great about it. I don't recall seeing anyone without a mask except within their campsite and folks were chatting from edge of road to fellow campers. To our surprise, even children were playing apart from one another but still having fun. History does repeat itself in cycles as both science and written records reveal. So, waxing philophically, is the question will this be a cycle for smaller population event landing in the ~100-yr cycles, or the start of a 1000-yr event ala ushering a Second Dark Age at a possible extreme? Who can say, but history shows us (note I didn't use teaches us) huge events have been ushered in by ignoring a seeding event turning a blind eye with a "not us" or "not here" or "not me" perspective...

Whew, need to lighten it but it's hard when we learned this morning friends, husband and wife, full-timers in year 2 of their early retirement adventures, have passed away from COVID19 complications at 57 and 59 years old... Had no idea until reaching out again to try to check on them on their cell phone and was surprised when their adult daughter answered. Marly had no idea who she should call with the news. Passed June 7 and June 12.
    You have my sympathies on your friends passing. It's hard learning of them like that.
    Things have lightened up with respect to following guidelines here. No masks are being worn and I'm guilty of that too while walking with my dog but I keep a mask in my pocket and considerable distance. Most I have talked to have been respectful of distancing while chatting although a few approached my "personal space" so I politely moved on. I see kids playing together and a few large groups bunched up. There is enough to occupy me without interaction so I'm good. I guess most of these people don't watch or care about events or only pay attention to certain news outlets. With all the about face and egg on the faces of several state executives you would think it would give pause to consider that this is nothing to be taken lightly.
    "Second dark age" that phrase made me stop and think a bit. a few things went flashing through the sub and the conscious, not good.
    Tuesday I'm going to the Townsend Campground at the lake I can't pronounce. I found a nice spot for three days and I'm only down the road so I thought I'd try it before heading home.