Thread: Solar Prewire

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Prewire

Good Day all

I have a new 300rbts Reflection that has the roof prewired for solar. What I am looking for does anyone know if I remove the Furion that Gran Design has mounted on the roof. Did they use a tube of some kind to feed the wires and what size wire can I run. I am looking at around 800 to 1000 watts of solar. I am hoping they used something that the big enough without putting holes in the roof.

Thanks All,

Rob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are getting a new 2021 337. I was at the dealer today checking it out. It appears there are 2 sets of wires running from the roof to the area where the battery is. @ sets of wires, black & red marked solar. I'll be looking into this further when we pickup the trailer this week.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I don't think wire is heavy enough for more than 200 watts. I am interested in what you fine

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2020 View Post
    Thanks I don't think wire is heavy enough for more than 200 watts. I am interested in what you fine
    The size will depend on how you wire your panels. If you wire them in series, which results in a higher voltage, which requires a smaller wire from the panels to the charge controller. I believe the pre-wire is 10 gauge. Their is a lot on info out their on how to wire and the size of wiring needed.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2020 View Post
    Good Day all

I have a new 300rbts Reflection that has the roof prewired for solar. What I am looking for does anyone know if I remove the Furion that Gran Design has mounted on the roof. Did they use a tube of some kind to feed the wires and what size wire can I run. I am looking at around 800 to 1000 watts of solar. I am hoping they used something that the big enough without putting holes in the roof.
    Indy Tim has the right idea, by running the series in parallel and series you can control the balance between volts and watts to meet your wire size. We just installed a 1200w kit on a 5th wheel with 10awg wire by running the solar panels in series at 60v which only pushes 20amps through the wiring. Typically the big voltage solar controllers are on the pricey side but you have a large amount in labor cost of running wires in the roof.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is 10ga wire and should have the mc4 connectors already installed on the roof. Wire size is more about amps and not as much about volts.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    It is 10ga wire and should have the mc4 connectors already installed on the roof. Wire size is more about amps and not as much about volts.
    Wire size has to be about all 3!

Watts = Volts x Amps

Amps = Watts / Volts

Volts = Watts / Amps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volts-watts-amps.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	28012
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Wire size has to be about all 3!

Watts = Volts x Amps

Amps = Watts / Volts

Volts = Watts / Amps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volts-watts-amps.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	28012
    Not really.
    Raise the volts, and power loss in the wiring goes down. So you can in effect get more power thru a smaller wire..... This is how our national power grid works... Very high voltage from the plant to a substation which steps it down some and sends it on to your neighborhood where it is stepped down again and sent to your house

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a 2021 260RD and it has a Jaboni wart on the roof with some wiring hanging down near the battery. I'm looking to add about 300w of solar on the roof. Any good suggestions...1 panel vs. 3, controller, flexible panels, etc.?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2600RB is due at the dealer this coming week so we took a trip there to look at and take some measurements from one they had on the lot.
    I was bummed to learn that the solar prewire input is now on the roof as the 2020s we looked at in the spring had the input on the side near the cargo door.
    Not wanting to breech the integrity of the roof I am buying some ground mounted panels.
    My question is:
    Where do the wires from the roof fitting hook up in the trailer?
    The sales guy (yes I know) said I need some kind of special junction box but I don't think he really knew too much about it. That was after he was on the phone with GD asking about it.
    Is there a reason that I should not just make my own quick disconnect that goes directly to the batteries? The panels have a charge controller.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast