User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter, Charger, Automatic transfer switch - Oh my!

I recently got caught up in the craze of swapping out my nocold to a residential fridge (thanks Jeff haha j/k). I called my dealer and found out they're backed up and the wait time would be 4-6 weeks. DW wasn't happy but I immediately went into problem solving mode. I called around and got other quotes and after thinking about it I realize I could do this myself. It's labor intensive but I have vacation coming up and I don't have any plans but to stay-cate. I am an engineer...of course my wife will tell you I'm a software engineer not an electrical or civil engineer . It's a joke that I always make before tackling difficult jobs like this one.

Well, youtube and google took me through a journey where I'm almost convinced I can do this but still have a lot of questions - although I feel I'm close to a solution. With the money I would save in labor cost I could install a solid inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch. I really like the solution "All About RV's" presented in this Youtube video (see below):

I did like what Changing Lanes did with the simplicity of the Go Power but some are complaining about breaker pops...so much so that I thought I should go back to the All About RV's solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 3.23.13 PM.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	715.8 KB 
ID:	27554

In the diagram I added X's to items that I will not install because I won't have solar and do not have a generator. Based on removing those items (also I don't have the internal EMS - I have the external one) I'm "Guessing" I don't need the automatic transfer switch???

I will only use Shore power or the inverter - which is why I like the smart phase selector switch. I searched around and every solution I found is different and without an electric engineering background I feel a little uneasy trying to deciphers some of the work folks have posted in the past. Seems everyone's application is different enough. If anyone has any input I'm definitely listening and ready to learn.

BTW- this journey started because I wanted to swap to a residential fridge...lol. Funny how 1 thing can turn into a big project. I do enjoy working on the RV as it satisfies by itch to problem solve and build things. I'm glad I'm insured as well as the RV - I kid of course...well, maybe.

Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drolaw View Post
    "All About RV's" presented in this Youtube video (see below):

In the diagram I added X's to items that I will not install because I won't have solar and do not have a generator. Based on removing those items (also I don't have the internal EMS - I have the external one) I'm "Guessing" I don't need the automatic transfer switch???
    Right, you don't need the ATS you Xed out.
    The Multiplus will do the ATS.
    The AM Solar SPS looks like a well thought out solution and the video helps with its wiring.
    AM Solar is supposed to have good customer service if help needed with the install.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I'm in the same boat as you are. The exception, my trailer already has the Res frig and GD supplied 1k inverter. I am wanting to do what you are choosing then adding Solar to it 2 years down the road. The Smart power everything is an awesome find and will incorporate this. I have on order and due to be delivered next wee. Two 100ah Battle Born Batteries and a new Lithium charge converter to replace the WFCO LA battery charger. I've got mine plans in 3 phases. Just need my wallet to sinq up to my vision
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have chosen an excellent set-up ant the AM Solar Smart Auto Transfer Switch is a terrific device. The Go Power (sometimes referred to as NO Power) IMHO was not a viable candidate for us due to various issues they have had along the way. I installed the Victron Multi 3K with the Smart Auto Transfer Switch and it has performed brilliantly, we also have a residential fridge.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Right, you don't need the ATS you Xed out.
    The Multiplus will do the ATS.
    The AM Solar SPS looks like a well thought out solution and the video helps with its wiring.
    AM Solar is supposed to have good customer service if help needed with the install.
    Thanks for the confirmation...always great to know I'm on the right track.

I noticed you're in Pearland. I lived there right after college in the 90s. I worked for Harris County for a little bit as my first job. Loved the area!
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally understand. This is our first phase as we'll want to add solar down the line. One of the many reasons I like this setup...I can add to it.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the confirmation...always great to know I'm on the right track.

I noticed you're in Pearland. I lived there right after college in the 90s. I worked for Harris County for a little bit as my first job. Loved the area!
    I'm a transplant from out West, been in Pearland about 30 years now.
    It's gown a bit in that time.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    You have chosen an excellent set-up ant the AM Solar Smart Auto Transfer Switch is a terrific device. The Go Power (sometimes referred to as NO Power) IMHO was not a viable candidate for us due to various issues they have had along the way. I installed the Victron Multi 3K with the Smart Auto Transfer Switch and it has performed brilliantly, we also have a residential fridge.
    Hey Bruce - I definitely switched away from the go (no) power once I read all of the negative feedback. I'm still trying to figure out some stuff (what type of wiring I need and the length) but I'm looking forward to the install. My wife thinks I'm nuts but for some reason I like working on the RV.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha sorry Jim, didn't mean to get you in deep on the project. I can imagine our dealer is backed up, RV business is going crazy. I was in mine 4 days recently and poked around behind " the wall" and it looked like a pretty simple install. I know you are changing other things out now but they used the factory 1000 watt inverter on mine which doesn't need a transfer switch. Grounded it to some steel framework close by and power wire up to front bay with 100 amp slow blow fuse and done. Old fridge comes out by removing doors but not sure about the new one needing doors removed. If you have a black rubber plug in the Nautilus bay below the water connections that is a valve to turn water on/off to ice maker, they got the valve from GD. PM me if you want me to send the pics of the connections I'm talking about. Good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bruce - I definitely switched away from the go (no) power once I read all of the negative feedback. I'm still trying to figure out some stuff (what type of wiring I need and the length) but I'm looking forward to the install. My wife thinks I'm nuts but for some reason I like working on the RV.
    Hi Jim, For a 3K inverter you will need 4-Aught cable. As for length, it depends on your rigs layout, so where you can install the various components. The shorter the distances the better.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast