Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grounding Wire via Negative Bus Bar?

I'm in the planning stages of installing an inverter with 30a pass through and installing my Victron solar charge controller. Both instruments call for a grounding wire to the chassis.

I have (or soon will have) a negative bus bar near the both of them. It will be fed by a 2ga wire from the battery via a shunt and the bus bar will also have a 2ga wire connection to the chassis.

The grounding wire for the inverter and the solar charge controller is a green insulated 8ga wire.

Is there any reason I can't run the green grounding wire to the negative bus bar? It would seem like make-work to run it clear outside the pass-through while simply following the 2ga grounding wire from the bus bar to the frame. Heck, they'd even both be under the same screw to chassis.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
    I'm in the planning stages of installing an inverter with 30a pass through and installing my Victron solar charge controller. Both instruments call for a grounding wire to the chassis.

I have (or soon will have) a negative bus bar near the both of them. It will be fed by a 2ga wire from the battery via a shunt and the bus bar will also have a 2ga wire connection to the chassis.

The grounding wire for the inverter and the solar charge controller is a green insulated 8ga wire.

Is there any reason I can't run the green grounding wire to the negative bus bar? It would seem like make-work to run it clear outside the pass-through while simply following the 2ga grounding wire from the bus bar to the frame. Heck, they'd even both be under the same screw to chassis.

What do you think?
    Sounds good.
    That's like one of Victron's example drawings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-DC Busbar - Victron eg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	27556
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Sounds good.
    That's like one of Victron's example drawings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-DC Busbar - Victron eg.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	27556
    Wow. And I thought I was being creative. LOL.
    Thanks for finding that.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a small solar setup and a deck-mount converter in the pass through. I replaced the battery to frame ground with 4 ga cable and ran another separate ground line into the hookup center.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only possible issue I can see is some form of accidental disconnection from the frame. Fewer junctions, parts and pieces means less chance of failure.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide