User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Loading and Cargo Concerns

I have a 2018 Keystone Cougar 25RES 5th wheel...not too big with a GVWR of 10K and an unloaded weight of about 7.6K. I've noticed in some old literature, the hitch weight is listed separately at about 1.5K. My question is whether or not the attached hitch weight is included in the Unloaded weight of the unit? If not, the advertised cargo capacity of roughly 2.5 K is significantly reduced and the impact to my truck capacity (2500 Ram Diesel) starts to become an issue as well...just checking.

Mike

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "listed" pin weights are empty (but are part of the empty vehicle weight or UVW). Loaded, a 10K fifth wheel will put 2,000 - 2,300 lbs. on the pin. The payload ratings on 3/4-ton diesels are notoriously low because the diesel drivetrain is so much heavier than gas. If contemplating a new fifth wheel, use 23% of the trailer's GVWR to estimated a loaded pin weight... then compare that to your actual available payload on the truck (go to the nearest CAT scales and weigh the truck).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The "listed" pin weights are empty (but are part of the empty vehicle weight or UVW). Loaded, a 10K fifth wheel will put 2,000 - 2,300 lbs. on the pin. The payload ratings on 3/4-ton diesels are notoriously low because the diesel drivetrain is so much heavier than gas. If contemplating a new fifth wheel, use 23% of the trailer's GVWR to estimated a loaded pin weight... then compare that to your actual available payload on the truck (go to the nearest CAT scales and weigh the truck).

Rob
    Much appreciated Rob...I've been using the SAE J2807 assumption of 15% of trailer GVWR for pin load, but I'll increase that based on your recommendation.

Mike

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurqu View Post
    Much appreciated Rob...I've been using the SAE J2807 assumption of 15% of trailer GVWR for pin load, but I'll increase that based on your recommendation.

Mike
    10 - 15% is true for pull-behind travel trailers. 20 - 25% is the number for fifth wheels... 23% being a good average.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015