User Tag List

Thread: Air Conditioner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Conditioner

We have plans to go camping for the first time this year next week. I have been recovering from hip surgery and I’m looking forward to this very much. I tried my air conditioner, 2018 303 rs ,and the air conditioner starts but the blower does not. Does anyone have any ideas. Of course I checked all the breakers.
    Lynne and Lance
    2023 Solitude 2930 Current and Forever
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Traded In
    2016 Reflection 297RS. Traded In
    2022 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel CC SRW SB
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel Traded In

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Glogowsky View Post
    We have plans to go camping for the first time this year next week. I have been recovering from hip surgery and I’m looking forward to this very much. I tried my air conditioner, 2018 303 rs ,and the air conditioner starts but the blower does not. Does anyone have any ideas. Of course I checked all the breakers.
    Will the fan (only) work on either high or low speed? I had a problem with my A/C in my Solitude (one the compressor would not run the other the fan would not run on low speed). I found the low voltage control wires were very light gauge (way smaller than the specified 18 gauge) and were very poorly crimped into the spade connector at the relay control box inside the A/C housing. On our Coleman units I could remove the inner grill and diverter and reach the connections from inside the trailer. Simply wiggling the wires would make the unit run or fail. I would check the wires at both the A/C and at the thermostat.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Will the fan (only) work on either high or low speed? I had a problem with my A/C in my Solitude (one the compressor would not run the other the fan would not run on low speed). I found the low voltage control wires were very light gauge (way smaller than the specified 18 gauge) and were very poorly crimped into the spade connector at the relay control box inside the A/C housing. On our Coleman units I could remove the inner grill and diverter and reach the connections from inside the trailer. Simply wiggling the wires would make the unit run or fail. I would check the wires at both the A/C and at the thermostat.

Chris
    Thanks for the response. At home my trailer is plugged into a 20 amp outlet and the AC has always worked on low. I first tried the AC on low and the blower would not come on but the AC would. I then just turned the blower on by itself on low and it would not respond. I’ll try your suggestion and let you know. Thanks

Lance
    Lynne and Lance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

I tried everything you mentioned and still blower will not turn on. Again the air conditioner comes on. I tried it on low high just with the blower and still no luck.

Lance
    Lynne and Lance

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris

I tried everything you mentioned and still blower will not turn on. Again the air conditioner comes on. I tried it on low high just with the blower and still no luck.

Lance
    Could be a bad blower motor, but I like to check the simple (and cheap to fix) items first. If you are comfortable with electricity and have a volt meter, I would

1) Check that you have 12v at your thermostat (if the display works, you should be good there)
    2) Remove the filter, the grill and the diverter (if your is like our Coleman, it is 4 screws in the corners under the filters and it all comes down)
    3) Find the relay box (the 12 volt signal from the thremostat control a set of relays inside the box to direct 120v AC to the fan (2 speeds) and the AC compressor). On ours, the relay box is bolted to the front inside of the return air shroud of the AC unit.
    4) Check the voltage on the individual spade connector leads to the relay box
    - The red wire (connected to 1 or 2 heavier (14~16 gauge) wires) is the 12v supply to the thermostat
    - The blue wire (connected to 1 or 2 heavier (14~16 gauge) wires and labeled B(-) on the relay box) is the common or ground
    - The yellow wire (labeled Y) is the compressor control. Will have 12v DC to the B- connector when calling for AC. Note: Do not turn the compressor off then back on within ~3 minutes. This will help your compressor bleed off pressure before stating and last longer.
    - The green wire (labeled GH) is the fan High speed control. Will have 12v DC to the B- connector when calling for high speed fan.
    - The gray (or brown in our case) wire (labeled GL) is the fan Low speed control. Will have 12v DC to the B- connector when calling for low speed fan.

I found a number of bad crimps (wire made poor/intermittent connection) in the spade connectors. I removed each one, soldered and applied heat shrink tubing to each one and reinstalled.

If you are not comfortable with any of this, please have a qualified person check it out. Better to be safe than sorry.

If all of these check out, the problem is in the high (line voltage) area. We can talk about checking this out later. There are a number of possibilities, including the relay box going bad (I have heard of this a number of times) or the motor being bad.

Chris

Here is a picture of my low voltage wiring pulled down to work on it. The relay box is directly above the wires in the picture. Sorry, I did not take any picture of that. And the low voltage wiring diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200619_120756.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	27619 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200619_113954.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	27620
    Last edited by CoChris; 06-28-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance,

Couple of youtube videos of Coleman A/C troubles.
    Don't know if these apply to your A/C make/model.

1st is bad wire connection at control box like Chris describes. It's about 5 minutes into the video.
    COLEMAN MACH RV AIR CONDITIONER FAN NOT RUNNING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZjLyRiXMNc

2nd is bad capacitor for fan motor that gets it turning.
    How to easily fix your RV air conditioner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_ou_TW5EM
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and Gene:

Im sure there is a better way to respond to both of you, however I don't know how.
    After reviewing some videos and your suggestions Chris, I spun the fan blade around that was a little rough turning. I shook it slightly and it loosened up. Retried the air conditioner and the fan worked. I'm guessing I need to get on top of the trailer, remove the AC covering and ensure everything is clean of debris and place a little oil in the correct spots on the fan shaft. Thanks for your help.

On a side note, I'm now working on my BMV 712 trying to ensure the numbers are correct on the app, which I'm little confused on. I know there is a good Thread on it, that I made a copy of the settings. However, many of the setting titles are different then what is on my BMV 712 app. Appreciate letting me know where that Thread is located.

Thanks. I don't know how I would do all of this without all of you.
    Lance
    Lynne and Lance

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note, I'm now working on my BMV 712 trying to ensure the numbers are correct on the app, which I'm little confused on. I know there is a good Thread on it, that I made a copy of the settings. However, many of the setting titles are different then what is on my BMV 712 app. Appreciate letting me know where that Thread is located.
    Hi Lance,

BMV-712, the 2 I have bookmarked:

One was by Tucson Jim. It's for Battle Born batteries.
    Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor - Like a Fuel Gauge for your Batteries.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...your-Batteries

Howard's Settings https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post228951

AndrewSteve had the setup for Lion batteries

Lion Safari UT recommended setting for Victron monitor and MPPT charge controller
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...rge-controller

Configure Victron BMV Battery Monitor and MPPT for Lion Safari UT Batteries

01 Battery Capacity — 315AH
    Battery capacity: (number of batteries X Amp hours) = 3 x 105
    If you have the Lion Safari UT 1300 batteries you would use 105Ah per battery

02 Charged Voltage — 13.9

03 Tail Current — 4.0%

04 Charged Detection — 03

05 Puekert Exponent — 1.05

06 Charge Efficiency Factor — 99%

07 Current Threshold — 0.10A

08 Time to Go Averaging Period — 03

09 Zero Current Calibration — ZERO
    10 Synchronize — SYNC
    11 Relay Mode – DFLT
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and Gene:

Im sure there is a better way to respond to both of you, however I don't know how......

Thanks. I don't know how I would do all of this without all of you.
    Lance
    A couple of easy ways to copy some one (or multiple people/replies) is

1) Use the "Reply with quote" button (bottom right of every post) like you did in post #3 . That will (or should) send the person a note (I said should because I have not been getting any notice lately).

2) Use the "@ user name" to notify as many people as you want. Such as @Lance Glogowsky This should have sent you an EMail notice that i tagged you in a post.

3) You can also Private Message (PM) a person. Especially useful if you do not want to post information for everyone to see. Click on the users name (upper left corner of a post), then select "Private Message" (2nd one down) on the left hand menu.

Glad to help out. I am a relative newbie (3rd year camping) and have learned so much from this great group of people. I just try to repay it when I can.

Happy Camping
    Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 07-02-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023