Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote start/stop of RV generators

Here's my question. I have an onan P4500i generator with a remote start stop. The directions for running the generator state that all electrical demand should be unplugged prior to starting and/or stopping the generator. I purchased this model for the remote start/stop feature so that I can start and stop it without leaving my Reflection 303rls. Now what use is that feature if I have to go outside and unplug everything before I start and/or stop it? Anyone have any experience with this issue? Can you remote start/stop the unit without having to unplug it from the 5th wheel? Thanks

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think unplugging the Reflection would be the same as opening your main breakers on your power panel. That's what I do with my Onan 5.5kw and it's never had any issues (I've got about 210 hrs on it).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would ensuring all appliances are switched off before starting the generator accomplish the same thing? Or is there more to it?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering much the same thing as I was generator shopping this week.

Some thoughts
    1. The charger is normally "on" and would be easy to forget. Many microwaves and TVs have power supplies that draw quite a bit when first on.
    2. Would my EMS protect the generator? It's supposed to check the incoming power before letting it through, but is powered from that incoming, but is only minor electronics.
    3. If this were killing many generators or RVs we would have heard of it.

Any experts out there?
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check the panel inside the 5th wheel. I seem to remember that there is a "main breaker" which I would presume if you were to turn off, would disconnect the 120V system just like unplugging the main power cord from the generator?? If this is the case, it seems to be a pretty simple solution to this problem and relieves one from having to outside.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the main breaker should do the trick! In my defense my panel is behind the sofa...
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide