User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Hitch - Revisited

I hate to be that guy, but I have to. Truck is a 2020 Ram 3500 Megacab (6'4" bed) dually with air rear suspension, high output Cummins and Aisin tranny. 3.73 rear end. 5721# max payload. Coach will (hopefully) be a GD M399TH.

The coach will be our home, so I don't anticipate hauling much in the bed of the truck. We all know what happens when we anticipate 🤣🤣🤣. I'm getting up there in age (67), so the thought of trying to muscle around a 300# Pullrite Superglide isn't particularly appealing.

So, 5th wheel slider hitch or AUH/gooseneck?

The AUH sounds great! But I'm probably that guy that's going to wind up hitting my cab or truck bed on a tight turn. Hence the thoughts of the Superglide. Install it and forget it.

Am I nuts, or just overthinking this? There are so many options and different opinions, I have no idea which way to go, so I need some informed guidance.

TIA!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 399 loaded pin weight is very close to 4000lbs once loaded, mine came from the factory at over 3700lbs. If I were to pick between your two options you suggested I would go with the Reese goosebox. I know its rated at 4000lbs, but I also havent seen reports of it crushing with a heavy pin weight compared to the AUH.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    The 399 loaded pin weight is very close to 4000lbs once loaded, mine came from the factory at over 3700lbs. If I were to pick between your two options you suggested I would go with the Reese goosebox. I know its rated at 4000lbs, but I also havent seen reports of it crushing with a heavy pin weight compared to the AUH.

Thanks for the reply!

Isn't the AUH rated at 4,500# pin/tongue weight? That's what I'm seeing in the ads.

Anyway, I'm open to all options. I just want to save my back, and avoid a heart attack or stroke if I need to take the hitch out.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, the AUH is not a gooseneck hitch - it merely attaches to the truck with the gooseneck ball.

With a bed that short and a wide-body fifth wheel, I wouldn't consider anything other than a slider like the PullRite SuperGlide or the Demco Hijacker. It's not worth risking damage to the truck or the front cap.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-28-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Second Chance good point about the turning issue with a short bed truck. I always seem to forget about that since I have a long bed. With a long bed I can make a 90 degree turn if needed (not very often) and the trailer has very little room before it would contact the cab, if it was a short bed truck, it would definitely contact the cab on a very tight turn.

They do make a bumper hitch mounted hoist you could use to help remove the 5th wheel hitch from the truck. I know some people have mentioned using them on here, but I have no experience with them.

Attachment 27593
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 06-28-2020 at 12:09 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    First of all, the AUH is not a gooseneck hitch - it merely attaches to the truck with the gooseneck ball.

With a bed that short and a wide-body fifth wheel, I wouldn't consider anything other than a slider like the PullRite SuperGlide or the Demco Hijacker. It's not worth risking damage to the truck or the front cap.

Rob
    Rob, I know the AUH isn't a gooseneck, hence the "/" separator. Be that as it may, your point is well taken. Apparently Demco doesn't make a drop-in for the Ram puck system, only Ford. So, it's probably going to be the superglide. I'll probably buy it online and drop ship to the dealer. For $139 installation (their quoted price), they can muscle it in... if they'll let me the drop ship. Once installed, it's probably never coming out. We'll make do with whatever bed space remains.

Thanks for the reply.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    Rob, I know the AUH isn't a gooseneck, hence the "/" separator. Be that as it may, your point is well taken. Apparently Demco doesn't make a drop-in for the Ram puck system, only Ford. So, it's probably going to be the superglide. I'll probably buy it online and drop ship to the dealer. For $139 installation (their quoted price), they can muscle it in... if they'll let me the drop ship. Once installed, it's probably never coming out. We'll make do with whatever bed space remains.

Thanks for the reply.
    We had the Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries sent straight to our dealer the first part of this year (we weren't in the area yet). Our salesperson kept them in his office behind his desk until our unit came in and they could install them... though a slider hitch is quite a bit bigger and heavier than a couple of lithium batteries!

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-29-2020 at 06:57 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We had the Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries sent straight to our dealer the first part of this year (we weren't in the area yet). Our salesperson kept them in his office behind his desk until our unit came in and they could install them... though a slider hitch is quite a bit bigger and heavier than a couple of lithium batteries!

Rob
    Rob, do you mind my asking where you bought the batteries, and about how much you paid? I'm looking at lithium, too.

One of the reasons I'm kicking around having my dealer provide a lot of the add-ons is it gives me a single finger to point if something doesn't work. However, further thought (and $$$) is making me rethink that philosophy.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.N View Post
    Rob, do you mind my asking where you bought the batteries, and about how much you paid? I'm looking at lithium, too.

One of the reasons I'm kicking around having my dealer provide a lot of the add-ons is it gives me a single finger to point if something doesn't work. However, further thought (and $$$) is making me rethink that philosophy.
    I ordered the batteries straight from Battle Born. The 100 Ah LiFePO4 batteries were $949 each. I also ordered the heating pads but have not installed them. Watching the temps in the bay where the batteries are, I kinda regret ordering the heating pads - I don't think we'll ever need them. LOVE the batteries, though! You probably already know that you'll need to switch out the stock WFCO converter/charger as it does not have a setting for lithium ion batteries.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 Chevy 2500HD and are pulling a 2020 295RL Fifth Wheel using a Pull Rite Supergilde. We love it! No worries about tight turns and hitting the cab. One problem is that we needed to purchase an adapter kit because Pull Rite had not fully tested their new hitch that would drop into the GM Pucks. However, I believe they have an option for the 2020 Ram puck system. The hitch is a little heavy, (over 100lb.) but using my Kubota "back-saver" it can be removed in about 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast