User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Styrofoam block in A/C unit?

Quote Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
    Heat doesn't radiate downwards....for all intents and purposes, it is zero.
    To add to the argument, if you place a thermometer in the basement you will find there is definitely heat there which demonstrates what the furnace is doing. Yes heat rises but it also goes where pushed. Place a thermometer in the basement and one by the battery box in front to explain the difference in temperature if there is a zero factor there. I would wager with the heat strips they will be much closer to the same temperature. Needless to say, for creature comfort the heaters are nice but I want to make sure I have pipes not freezing. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Last edited by 50ST8R; 02-08-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50ST8R View Post
    To add to the argument, if you place a thermometer in the basement you will find there is definitely heat there which demonstrates what the furnace is doing. Yes heat rises but it also goes where pushed. Place a thermometer in the basement and one by the battery box in front to explain the difference in temperature if there is a zero factor there. I would wager with the heat strips they will be much closer to the same temperature. Needless to say, for creature comfort the heaters are nice but I want to make sure I have pipes not freezing. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    You could run the furnace with the heatstrips on to recirculate air through the furnace ducting, not sure if you can run just the furnace fan though. In my fifth wheel, the return for the furnace is the hidden openings under the hutch and bottom of the pantry.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat doesn't radiate downwards....for all intents and purposes, it is zero.
    Not to get into Urinary Olympics but.. from : https://engineeringlibrary.org/refer...r-doe-handbook
    All bodies above absolute zero temperature radiate some heat. The sun and earth both radiate heat toward each other. This seems to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat cannot flow from a cold body to a hot body. The paradox is resolved by the fact that each body must be in direct line of sight of the other to receive radiation from it. Therefore, whenever the cool body is radiating heat to the hot body, the hot body must also be radiating heat to the cool body. Since the hot body radiates more heat (due to its higher temperature) than the cold body, the net flow of heat is from hot to cold, and the second law is still satisfied.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    Not to get into Urinary Olympics but.. from : https://engineeringlibrary.org/refer...r-doe-handbook
    All bodies above absolute zero temperature radiate some heat. The sun and earth both radiate heat toward each other. This seems to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat cannot flow from a cold body to a hot body. The paradox is resolved by the fact that each body must be in direct line of sight of the other to receive radiation from it. Therefore, whenever the cool body is radiating heat to the hot body, the hot body must also be radiating heat to the cool body. Since the hot body radiates more heat (due to its higher temperature) than the cold body, the net flow of heat is from hot to cold, and the second law is still satisfied.
    I understand the thermodynamics, but for the sake of the topic at hand, it effectively does not radiate into the underbelly in any meaningful way. It would be a BAD idea to count on a hot living area to keep your underbelly from freezing up without other considerations made
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the thermodynamics, but for the sake of the topic at hand, it effectively does not radiate into the underbelly in any meaningful way. It would be a BAD idea to count on a hot living area to keep your underbelly from freezing up without other considerations made
    I absolutely agree with you, and as I previously stated, I made that very same comment in my original heat strip post. However, their is a large population of RV users/owners, on this forum, and elsewhere, who believe that heat strips are not effective. I contend that they are very effective and very cost effective if you have dual AC's and the electrical hookup to power them. I would recommend that anyone that wants to save money should consider them and not use them below 32 degrees outside air temperature. I have them in our 297 RSTS and had them in our previous Dutchmen Adirondack with two Dometic AC's. My personal threshold based upon real world experience is <32 degrees >25 degrees for less than 2 hours, will not freeze the underbelly water lines in my Reflection 297 RSTS if the internal temperature in the living room and bedroom areas are heated to at least 72 degrees. Your mileage will vary as you do not have my 297 RSTS.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a thought as to why GD disables the dump function on their ACs? I had it on my previous trailer and it was a great feature for when we ha guest and were sitting in the living area. I on't see a reason not to remove the baffle and restore the ump function. Is there one?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the dump disabled you get much stronger airflow through the ducts for faster more balanced cooling. The dump will cool one area faster. But having it blocked will cool the entire RV faster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason that the manufacture of the styrofoam block gives is that the dump exit is very close to the intake and much of the cool air is short circuited back into the intake. Before the mod with the dump closed the pressure in the duct is also increased. After the mod it is an intake but it bypasses the filters.

There is a noticeable increase in air flow in the duct after the mod. On ours we had to turn the round exit vents so that it wasn't blowing directly on us.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789