User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Styrofoam block in A/C unit?

I just picked-up a new 337 RLS with a Coleman Mach15 in the living room and a Coleman 13,500 BTU in the bedroom. I noticed on the living room A/C there is a plastic cover over the two discharge vents behind the cover on the ceiling. I pulled the cover off the ceiling and then removed the plastic cover blocking the discharge vents and found a large block of styrofoam blocking the discharge. I assume this is here to keep the air going to the ducted vents only.

I found a sheet with the owners manuals stating to keep the two discharge vents close and only use the ducts for maximum efficiency. My previous fifth wheel a/c was not blocked like that.

My question is it ok to remove the styrofoam block and has anyone done this? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Double Eagle; 06-28-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Eagle View Post
    I just picked a new 337 RLS with a Coleman Mach15 in the living room and a Coleman 13,500 BTU in the bedroom. I noticed on the living room A/C there is a plastic cover over the two discharge vents behind the cover on the ceiling. I pulled the cover off the ceiling and then removed the plastic cover blocking the discharge vents and found a large block of styrofoam blocking the discharge. I assume this is here to keep the air going to the ducted vents only.

I found a sheet with the owners manuals stating to keep the two discharge vents close and only use the ducts for maximum efficiency. My previous fifth wheel a/c was not blocked like that.

My question is it ok to remove the styrofoam block and has anyone done this? Thanks for any help.
    I am not a technician so take my advice with a grain of salt. Members have stated on this forum that to cool down the quickest when walking into a hot trailer is to open those vents so they are dumping all the cool air into the room rather than the ducts. That will give you the quickest cooling. So yes I would think it would be ok to remove the coverings from the vents.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So long as your divider bar is positioned correctly, the unit should be working alright. Make sure the divider bar is positioned so that the cold air venting out is not mixed with the intake, or you lose efficiency.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found some information on the internet about he styrofoam block, apparently airexcel, who makes Coleman a/c’s just approved the use of these in their A/C’s, so they won’t void the warranty. It appears Grand Design is putting them in all new units that are 15 BTU. The block quiets the unit and increases airflow through the ducts, but you loose the air dump on the ceiling cover, unless you remove it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is information on the RV airflow product.

https://rvairflow.com/products/rvairflow-coleman

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, this is the new product GD is installing on their trailers. For those of us who don't want to spend $180 per ac unit, folks have been performing this mod themselves with foamboard. I'm about to do it on my trailer.

These pics are from the Facebook GD Modifications Group.

You can make the foam box that isolates the cold air from the intake air, so that there is absolutely no mixing of the warm and cold air.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foam Board mod 3.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	27611

This is what it looks like after you put it together from foam board that's commonly available at any big box hardware store:

Name:	Foam Board mod 2.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	27612

The box as it's about to be taped into place:

Name:	Foam Board mod 1.png 
Views:	775 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	27613

While you loose the ability to use the AC vent dump, folks who have performed the mod state that there is a massive increase in the airflow out of the ceiling vents that more than makes up for the loss of the vent dump.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a brand new feature that GD just started doing. They have the exclusive rights to it for at least the first year.

In testing, it increase airflow and efficiently 15% over a normally ducted unit.

Just let it go!!!
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve! The living room A/C with the block is definitely quieter than the bedroom A/C. Was thinking about getting one for the bedroom, but a $170 is a lot for a block of styrofoam!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    It is a brand new feature that GD just started doing. They have the exclusive rights to it for at least the first year.

In testing, it increase airflow and efficiently 15% over a normally ducted unit.

Just let it go!!!
    Well damn it, I must have just missed out with my 2020.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Well damn it, I must have just missed out with my 2020.
    There are quite a few 2021 models out there that don't have it.

They just started it in mid-June production.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast