User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Peculiar

Tow vehicle for 303 rls

Looking a tow vehicle for our 2015 Reflection 303 RLS. Hoping to get by with a gas powered 2500. Any advice on engine size, bed size, and axle ratio would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peculiar,

Have a look at the older posts in this Reflection Tow Vehicle section.
    There has been much discussion on this. The "old school" wisdom is that you must have a diesel to tow a 5th wheel.
    The problem with a traditional gas engine is a very narrow torque curve, meaning lots of transmission shifting to keep within the high torque RPM band. A few of us are successfully towing smaller Reflections with properly equipped F150s to be able to do this with the Ecoboost turbo V6. An amazing engine with a torque curve as broad as a diesel. The 2015 F150 max payload has gone up significantly because of the new aluminum body.

To answer you specific question, any 2500/250 can comfortably haul a Reflection 303 . . . but, you can't get an Ecoboost.
    Something to think about . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 323BHS was just over 500 lbs. heavier than Grand Design literature said--all of it on the kingpin. If that's any indication, the 303 could be as heavy as 10K and have 2K lbs. kingpin weight.

The 303 is best towed by a 3/4 ton truck--specifically a diesel. You might get away with the largest V-8 available if you're towing a short distance--and if it's not in a mountainous area. But you'd still need a 4.10:1 axle ratio which is not preferable for every day driving.

As a diesel owner, they're more expensive to buy initially, but they're such a long term value in a truck. It's just great having such incredible towing power.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bamaman,

Are you saying that your coach is 500 lbs dry pin weight over the paperwork that GD supplied ?

We are travelling the highways of the eastern US. I try to respect the tire speed ratings of the RV, so fall into line with the 18 wheelers in the right lane. Until we come to a grade . . . then everything slows down and I move left to maintain 55 MPH. This might cause a downshift of the Ecoboost . . . but not always.

I think Ford and this engine are way ahead of "conventional" diesel only thinking.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Just over 500 lbs. more than advertised, and it's all on the kingpin. What's an eyeopener is that the kitchen slider side is 700 lbs. heavier than the door side--3 slides and the appliances are on that side. Last thing the factory does is put'em on a certified scale--and the printout came with my paper packet.

The F150's do have an extra heavy tow package at something like $1,795 extra, however it's very seldom seen in stock units on dealer lots. I understand it rides kind'a rough unloaded. Anyone wanting to tow heavy with a 1/2 ton will need that package, however.

Have you considered adding a tuner, like Hypertech, if you need just a little more horsepower to pull hills? They add about 85 hp quick and easy. So much easy horsepower is available due to the engine being turbocharged--regular gas engines cannot be so easily boosted.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bamaman
    Rob has to move to the left lane to keep from running over the 18 wheelers in the right lane going up a grade. No tuner needed. There are at least two of us on this forum towing 303's with F 150 max with no problem.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F250 with a tuner has plenty of power to tow my 323BHS. But many F250's, especially with 450 lbs. extra with weight of he diesel and 450 lbs. for the 4x4 components, are very limited in pin weight carrying capability.

Most F150's are even less capable of carrying heavy weights in the bed. But it looks like the rare $1795 spring package is approaching the 3/4 ton in capabilities.

I still wouldn't want a trailer with dry Pin weights any where approaching 2000 lbs. on any F150--no matter how it's equipped. After all the owners' stuff is put in the bed, back seat, fuel tank and basement of the trailer, who knows how heavy the rig would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Tow Vehicle calculator...drop an email at [email protected] and I will send it. The calculator is pretty much a plug in the numbers think and see if the tow vehicle of your choice will handle an RV of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AL and Holly
    355TH Momentum, #00811, 2014
    GMC Sierra, 3500HD, SRW, Diesel 2014

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to pull a new 303 with a 2014 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 L engine. Trailer weighs 9750 # with water , pulls easier than
    goose neck trailer with 5 T hay on it!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specifically for towing a 303 any 2500/250 will do and the F150 Ecoboost with max tow and max payload has better ratings that some of the 2500/250. The F150 ecoboost might be my next vehicle (Can't believe I said that).
    For my personal situation I don't think the extra 10k is worth it for a diesel at this time. I only tow about 15% of the time and generally stay within 2 hour radius. Higher diesel prices in my area and added cost of DEF fluid along with higher cost maintenance items are a deterrent for me. If I was towing long distance I might consider a diesel.
    I tow my 293RES (similar weight to 303) with a 5.7 gas engine with 3.92 axle ratio and cruise effortlessly at 60MPH and have plenty of power for merging. I have never needed more power. My friend has a Diesel Ram with a 303 and I have no problem keeping up when going up hills. I think the axle ratio takes off about 1-2% MPG but that's no big deal. It gives you better acceleration. I get great gas mileage when I'm not towing.
    Box length is mostly about personal preference. I have a very short box 5'7" but I had the dealer install a sidewinder pin. This gives me 90 degree turns, gives me full use of the box and allows me to keep the weight down. My hitch weighs 97lbs and I can remove it by myself in 2 minutes.
    Paul
    North Bay, Ontario
    2014 Reflection 293RES
    VIN # 200283
    2014 Ram 2500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast