User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DEF Fluid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lessons learned. You don’t want to run low on def in the middle of nowhere or you will pay the price.

When I ran low on def I was just happy to find some. My old truck, 2012 F250 diesel would run a long time before it needed def, even towing a lot. I now have a 2020 F350 diesel and it really likes to suck down the def and the gauge is not real accurate. I started in Taos NM with the def gauge saying 1300 miles left. I got to Bluff UT, 300 miles and the def gauge said 800 miles. I looked for def in Bluff and none to be found. Ok I still have 800 miles left. I get 100 miles down the road and get the 500 mile warning. The next town or cross roads was Hanksiville UT. Yea, the gas station had 25-30 boxes of def stacked by the door. Went to pay for it and the clerk said that will be $25 plus tax, $10 a gallon. I was happy to pay the price considering the alternative of running out of def. The lesson here is make sure you have plenty of def and don’t believe the gauge that says how many miles left. Yes I know when towing you use more def but my surprise was that the gauge did not accurately reflect my driving. Definitely will not happen again.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will not use the truck lanes for several reasons. One it aggravates the he-- out of me to have to go in the building twice and stand in line to get my gas. Another is the pump handles and ground are always covered with diesel fuel, then you have to put up with the smell for quite a ways afterwards. The biggest one is having to leave my card with the clerk while I go out to pump. The last time I did that, while heading home this year my card was compromised. That same day bogus charges started showing up. Took a lot of time and energy to get that cleared up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I will not use the truck lanes for several reasons. One it aggravates the he-- out of me to have to go in the building twice and stand in line to get my gas. Another is the pump handles and ground are always covered with diesel fuel, then you have to put up with the smell for quite a ways afterwards. The biggest one is having to leave my card with the clerk while I go out to pump. The last time I did that, while heading home this year my card was compromised. That same day bogus charges started showing up. Took a lot of time and energy to get that cleared up.
    I agree, I prefer not to use truck stops where I have to go through the truck lanes for the reasons you mention.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can solve all those in/out problems and leaving your card if you get an EFS card (TSD Logistics). I can use the truck pumps just like a normal pump, pull up, insert card, start pumping diesel and then DEF (if I want it). The ground and handles are still covered with diesel, no fixing that, but they pump super fast (3X or so faster than a normal pump) so at least you don't have to stand in a puddle of fuel for long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the box leaking every time I fill up with DEF? If so, what is your secret?
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought a box od Peak Blue Def at our local Costco for $9.99!! thanks fo all your help!! Haven't used its yet, but I have it when I do. Per my gage I'm at 1/2.

Thanks!
    Steve

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t been able to find the DEF gauge for my truck; all I can find in the instrument display is “DEF level OK”; is there somewhere that shows the actual level?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I haven’t been able to find the DEF gauge for my truck; all I can find in the instrument display is “DEF level OK”; is there somewhere that shows the actual level?
    Looks like a menu choice under the TRUCK INFO Tab: https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...diesel-engine-

On mine, i am set up so that the DEF gauge shows all the time as one of the small gauges across the top.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    Hello To All!!

I just bought a new 2019 RAM 3500 - Its got the 6.7 Turbo in it. I've never had a diesel before - I'm wondering how you buy DEF fluid? Do the bottles come with a long spout? Do I need to get a funnel to keep in the truck? What ids a good brand to buy, and where can I get it? In what quantity? My DEF gage says 1/2 - not sure how long till I need to top its off, or even how to top it off - LOL!

Thanks for any advice!

Steve
    I would highly recommend get def at truck stops at the pump in the truck lanes. It will be the freshest you can buy and you only buy what you need vs having leftover to store. Plus it is often times close to half price and you aren't creating additional waste with the cardboard box and plastic jug.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make one trip. Buy enough to fill the tank. You can even add enough for def as well. Pay for it. You will only be charged what you actually pump. I have never had to stand in line either. The fuel desks are way more efficient than the retail side.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast