User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DEF Fluid

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the issue is that not all def gauges are created equal. The GM pre 2020 def gauge sucks. It is nothing more than a warning when it gets below level, and it only shows good, or low, then is starts giving miles to derating. Not sure what the Ford Gauges look like or how well they work.

My friends Dodge has an actual gauge and it works. Also, for GM, pre-2020 the DEF filler is under the hood on passenger side, that also sucks. Why they chose to put it there is beyond me. Now for longevity, I have had good luck with DEF so far. I have about 6400 miles on my truck. At 700 or so, I got the dreaded 1000 miles before derate, I filled it at that time, and it was obvious that the dealer didn't fill it. I put 6 gallons in a 7 gallon tank. Got my first free service at 5k, and dealer added 2.5 gals of def, so close to 1500 miles so far and still reads ok. This is my first experience with DEF as well. My 2004 didn't have any of this stuff on it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Part of the issue is that not all def gauges are created equal. The GM pre 2020 def gauge sucks. It is nothing more than a warning when it gets below level, and it only shows good, or low, then is starts giving miles to derating. Not sure what the Ford Gauges look like or how well they work.

My friends Dodge has an actual gauge and it works. Also, for GM, pre-2020 the DEF filler is under the hood on passenger side, that also sucks. Why they chose to put it there is beyond me. Now for longevity, I have had good luck with DEF so far. I have about 6400 miles on my truck. At 700 or so, I got the dreaded 1000 miles before derate, I filled it at that time, and it was obvious that the dealer didn't fill it. I put 6 gallons in a 7 gallon tank. Got my first free service at 5k, and dealer added 2.5 gals of def, so close to 1500 miles so far and still reads ok. This is my first experience with DEF as well. My 2004 didn't have any of this stuff on it.
    GM never had a 7 gallon tank
    It was 5.3 on the 2011-19 and over 10 on the 20s

As for why GM put the fill under the hood it was to prevent misfills
    Realize that in 2010’ def was a brand new thing
    GM owners never reported any misfills on the forums
    Ford owners had quite a few
    However that location was not popular even though it was effective
    So now bowing to consumers pressure it has been moved
    But by now most of the consumers should be more well versed in def though there are some newcomers that are late to the party and still need to be educated
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-12-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    GM never had a 7 gallon tank
    It was 5.3 on the 2011-19 and over 10 on the 20s

As for why GM put the fill under the hood it was to prevent misfills
    Realize that in 2010’ def was a brand new thing
    GM owners never reported any misfills on the forums
    Ford owners had quite a few
    However that location was not popular even though it was effective
    So now bowing to consumers pressure it has been moved
    But by now most of the consumers should be more well versed in def though there are some newcomers that are late to the party and still need to be educated
    Going to disagree with you flat out. I own a 2019 Duramax and I can tell you with certainty that my def tank is 7 gallons. You don't have to believe me, that's ok. My manual says 7 gallons. I have personally put 6 in.

With that said, misfill is related to the type of filler installed, and if they make the fills different enough that will not happen, just like the 2020's, and prior years for other makes.

Have a great day.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Going to disagree with you flat out. I own a 2019 Duramax and I can tell you with certainty that my def tank is 7 gallons. You don't have to believe me, that's ok. My manual says 7 gallons. I have personally put 6 in.

With that said, misfill is related to the type of filler installed, and if they make the fills different enough that will not happen, just like the 2020's, and prior years for other makes.

Have a great day.
    Quite a few Ford owners found that it is easy to put DEF in the diesel tank, as the DEF nozzle/spout is smaller than the Diesel opening. The result was a 10-15K bill. Everyone thinks that they would never do such a thing..... Until they do.

I see no reason why it is not possible for this to happen today.

As for the capacity, you are correct (and as it turns out, google was wrong) when the LP5 version came out, the tank was increased to 7 Gallons
    Last edited by huntindog; 07-12-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you find the date code for that Blue DEF? I saw a box while at Lowes the other day and looked all over the box and couldn't find it. Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Where do you find the date code for that Blue DEF? I saw a box while at Lowes the other day and looked all over the box and couldn't find it. Thanks!
    I have this bookmarked because it's asked so many times across forums:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdFfHOEVum8
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Quite a few Ford owners found that it is easy to put DEF in the diesel tank, as the DEF nozzle/spout is smaller than the Diesel opening. The result was a 10-15K bill. Everyone thinks that they would never do such a thing..... Until they do.

I see no reason why it is not possible for this to happen today.

As for the capacity, you are correct (and as it turns out, google was wrong) when the LP5 version came out, the tank was increased to 7 Gallons
    I had not thought it that way. I agree.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456