It was likely caused by rough handling from the stock crew
    I usually see some as well
    Just don’t buy those

I like the sealed jugs with datecodes
    Then I know what I am getting
    I will not use the pumps at truck stops
    They are filthy
    Cleanliness is real important when filling def
    There are no filters in the trucks system so any little bit of contamination is in the tank for good
    When the truck detects contamination a code is thrown and an expensive trip to the dealer is required
    As for the price
    Our trucks use so little as to make it immaterial

I also never fill it all the way unless I am going on a trip That will require it
    Heat shortens def life dramatically 100 degrees means 6 months of life
    It gets a lot hotter than that in Phoenix so I keep it low to keep it fresh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be doing something wrong. I was at a truck stop and the DEF nozzle didn't fit into the receptacle on my truck. Do I need some sort of adapter?

And YES, the truck stop handles are always covered with grime. That's why truckers wear gloves. I carry a box of disposable gloves for this very reason.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    You can solve all those in/out problems and leaving your card if you get an EFS card (TSD Logistics). I can use the truck pumps just like a normal pump, pull up, insert card, start pumping diesel and then DEF (if I want it).
    I have thought of getting the EFS card by TSD Logistics and it certainly represents a healthy savings in fuel, but have been reluctant to since as I understand the logistics the card rather than a credit card, it is attached directly to your bank account. In the event of their system being hacked or some other sort of fraud, ones bank account could be drained. As a matter of practice, we only use our debit card when needing cash say at a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    As for the 6 unsealed jugs at wm
    It was likely caused by rough handling from the stock crew
    I usually see some as well
    Just don’t buy those

I like the sealed jugs with datecodes
    Then I know what I am getting
    I will not use the pumps at truck stops
    They are filthy
    Cleanliness is real important when filling def
    There are no filters in the trucks system so any little bit of contamination is in the tank for good
    When the truck detects contamination a code is thrown and an expensive trip to the dealer is required
    As for the price
    Our trucks use so little as to make it immaterial

I also never fill it all the way unless I am going on a trip That will require it
    Heat shortens def life dramatically 100 degrees means 6 months of life
    It gets a lot hotter than that in Phoenix so I keep it low to keep it fresh
    I agree with you entirely. I thought the same thing you mentioned about the 6-jugs with open sealed covers, but did not want to take chances.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the logistics card, it's worth having. I actually have the one everyone discusses and another not available to the GP. You can avoid the hand wringing about the bank account link pretty easily. Just open a new, free account with your bank, deposit a bit into it, and sign up. I have my bank app set to alert me when the balance in it goes below my dollar threshold, and a couple app clicks later I replenish it from my general account. Key is set up as an independent account, not a slave to your master account, and do it at the same bank since most all will do same day, if not instantaneous transfer among accounts that are under the same roof.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the box leaking every time I fill up with DEF? If so, what is your secret?
    Try to have the vent on the spout up. After putting the flexible spout securely into the filler hole on the truck, give the jug a small squeeze to start the flow of fluid. This will make the vent hole on the jug suck air in, which vents the jug and allows the fluid to flow easily.
    The first time I did this, I didn’t squeeze the jug first, and DEF dribbled out the air vent. But if you get the siphon going properly, by squeezing the jug as you start to pour, it’s a piece of cake.
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie. PullRite Superglide 2700 16K. Transfer Flow 40 gal tank in bed.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    Try to have the vent on the spout up. After putting the flexible spout securely into the filler hole on the truck, give the jug a small squeeze to start the flow of fluid. This will make the vent hole on the jug suck air in, which vents the jug and allows the fluid to flow easily.
    The first time I did this, I didn’t squeeze the jug first, and DEF dribbled out the air vent. But if you get the siphon going properly, by squeezing the jug as you start to pour, it’s a piece of cake.
    Thanks! I will definitely do that next time I fill up.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here’s a DEF problem I had not long ago, 2016 GMC with the DEF fill under the hood. filling tank and just before full it burped and shot some back out, no big deal, hosed it down. About 3 weeks later I start getting little puffs of blue/gray smoke out of tail pipe. Might get 3-4 one day and not again for a week.
    Took the truck to the shop and they finally got it to do it after about 3 days, come to find out some of the DEF got on the mass air sensor and was causing corrosion. Cleaned it up no more problem, plan water didn’t cut it, will be soapy water if it happens again.
    Every thing is nicer in Niceville.
    2019 Reflections 29RS
    2016 GMC Denali Hd
    B&W slider hitch
    Mor-ryde rubber pin box

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall lee View Post
    Here’s a DEF problem I had not long ago, 2016 GMC with the DEF fill under the hood. filling tank and just before full it burped and shot some back out, no big deal, hosed it down. About 3 weeks later I start getting little puffs of blue/gray smoke out of tail pipe. Might get 3-4 one day and not again for a week.
    Took the truck to the shop and they finally got it to do it after about 3 days, come to find out some of the DEF got on the mass air sensor and was causing corrosion. Cleaned it up no more problem, plan water didn’t cut it, will be soapy water if it happens again.
    Avoid soap unless you know exactly what is in the soap. Could be far worse that the urea in the DEF. DEF is slightly acidic so to neutralize it you need a base, but not a strong one. Some baking soda in water will do it. DEF will strip wax and polishes, including some hi-tech coatings. For the MAF specifically, a can of the CRC cleaner is a safe choice if you're not confident in assessing your chemicals and cleaners.

Aside, a camping friend decided to "detail" his engine bay, and squirted EVERYTHING down with a silicone-based shiny goo to make everything glossy... Guess what THAT did to his MAF!?!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to diesel engines and DEF. What happens to the truck if you use old DEF and what is considered old DEF.
    Mike
    Mike and Marita
    2019 F350 Lariat CCSB 6.7L Diesel SRW
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
    Reese Elite 5th Airborne Sidewinder, Reese custom wedge, B&W Companion hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Avoid soap unless you know exactly what is in the soap. Could be far worse that the urea in the DEF. DEF is slightly acidic so to neutralize it you need a base, but not a strong one. Some baking soda in water will do it. DEF will strip wax and polishes, including some hi-tech coatings. For the MAF specifically, a can of the CRC cleaner is a safe choice if you're not confident in assessing your chemicals and cleaners.

Aside, a camping friend decided to "detail" his engine bay, and squirted EVERYTHING down with a silicone-based shiny goo to make everything glossy... Guess what THAT did to his MAF!?!
    Thanks for the heads up, the service tech suggested Purple Power because it's a anti corrosive but after reading not so sure that was a good idea. Like the baking soda.
    Every thing is nicer in Niceville.
    2019 Reflections 29RS
    2016 GMC Denali Hd
    B&W slider hitch
    Mor-ryde rubber pin box

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast