Thread: DEF Fluid

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DEF Fluid

Hello To All!!

I just bought a new 2019 RAM 3500 - Its got the 6.7 Turbo in it. I've never had a diesel before - I'm wondering how you buy DEF fluid? Do the bottles come with a long spout? Do I need to get a funnel to keep in the truck? What ids a good brand to buy, and where can I get it? In what quantity? My DEF gage says 1/2 - not sure how long till I need to top its off, or even how to top it off - LOL!

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck has a funnel in the jack kit, but you don't need. DEF jugs (boxed) have sprouts. Truck lanes at truck stops have DEF at the pump ala nozzle fill too.

At halfway, you have a lot of miles. Halfway is also about 1 jug of DEF low for a RAM. Fill is right next to diesel fill. DO NOT mix them up!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All DEF purchased over the counter comes with a tube to facilitate pouring into the DEF tank. You can also buy it at the pump at most truck stops. Brand really does not matter as it is basically cow piss, so I would go with the least expensive. I have found Walmart's brand DEF to be the least expensive, followed by auto parts brand DEF, ie. for example O'Reilley's DEF. I have only bought the expensive stuff once because I was very low and that was all that was available. As mentioned Walmart sells it, all auto parts stores, many gas/convenience stores, though typically more expensive and truck stops. I cannot tell you how much is consumed over x-miles, but it is not a lot. I usually just add one container (2.5 gallons) when I am somewhere between 1/4 and half full and the gauge (not very accurate) typically shows almost to full. The only time I fill it up is at a truck stop DEF pump.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been using Walmart Super Tech DEF in 2-1/2 gallon jugs for years. It’s high turnover and usually fresh. Just Undue the cap and verify that the seal is intact before paying for it, since some low life’s have been reported to refill with water and return it

I add a jug when gauge shows 1/2 full. My F-350 DEF tank holds 7-1/2 gallons. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/44457724

It comes with a long flexible spout.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Just Undue the cap and verify that the seal is intact before paying for it, since some low life’s have been reported to refill with water and return it
    Great point I forgot to mention in my reply as I also use the Walmart DEF. One trip into Walmart to pick up some DEF, there were 6-containers on the shelf and all 6 appeared to have been open. Ended up going down the street to an OReilley's and picked up a container of their brand, a little more expensive than the Walmart but not as expensive as the Blue DEF.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a member of a big box store, several carry Blue DEF at a regular price of $11.99/jug. Few times a year there's a $2 off coupon and they also take Peak's coupons. I have also found their stock is generally more fresh than several of the parts stores in my area.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conley GMC Buick in Bradenton FL where we get our oil and filter with synthetic oil changed for $59 has def for 3.99 a gallon.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a truck stop. You will be under $3 per gallon, and no worries about if it's "fresh" or someone filled the jug with something else.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Use a truck stop. You will be under $3 per gallon, and no worries about if it's "fresh" or someone filled the jug with something else.
    ^This.

The only time I've ever bought box DEF is because I was in an area that didn't have any truck pumps nearby and I really needed it. But it should be the last resort, it's a PITA, and it's more expensive than buying it at the pump. It's good to know that it's available at big box stores (which you now know) in case you really need it, but, much like gasoline (which you can also buy at Walmart), you should only be buying it there in very special situations. Just use the truck pumps and fill the tank up just like your diesel tank. Easy, and cheap.

I fill my DEF tank every couple of fill ups. Takes an extra minute or so to fill up, so I don't really care very much and don't track it that closely, if I think "it's been a few times" I just hit the button for DEF and pump a few gallons in. It literally could not be easier as I'm already there getting fuel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are worried about finding it on the road... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fair-Trails...e/392095846260 and https://www.amazon.com/Trails-Enterp...dp/B0741GK946/

Shelf life goes down when stored in hot areas, so make sure you cycle through it. This will let you fill cheap and use whenever, and is great if you aren't near a DEF pump.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast