Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud furnace

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud furnace

I have seen some posts about furnace not igniting . But my concern is the furnace ignites and the fan runs and it puts out heat but I can hear the burner shut off and re ignite several times during a cycle . Im not sure if this is a problem or if this is just a feature of this furnace. Maybe a way to keep it from over heating? It is also VERY loud and causes a pretty good vibration. Noise and vibration being worse in the bedroom area. All of my other RVs have had dometic furnaces and this is a atwood so I have no experience with them. Does anyone have any experience with these problems?
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
    I have seen some posts about furnace not igniting . But my concern is the furnace ignites and the fan runs and it puts out heat but I can hear the burner shut off and re ignite several times during a cycle . Im not sure if this is a problem or if this is just a feature of this furnace. Maybe a way to keep it from over heating? It is also VERY loud and causes a pretty good vibration. Noise and vibration being worse in the bedroom area. All of my other RVs have had dometic furnaces and this is a atwood so I have no experience with them. Does anyone have any experience with these problems?
    Hi @concreteman,

Please send me a private message (PM) with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number to help us research and resolve your concern with your Atwood furnace. Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post the answer to your problem as mine has the same issue. I am on the Gulf Coast now so was going to address the problem when I returned home to Vermont. I would add that it also seems to use more propane than my last unit.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chilly,

I took it to the dealer last Friday. The service tech said he would look into the problem of why the furnace was limiting out. After several hours he called me and said that there were several of the flex ducts with sharp bends and one almost crushed flat under the floor. He said that the restricted air flow would cause the furnace to over heat and "limit out". I have not had a chance to test it yet. Iam going to Nebraska around the 20th so will have to wait until then.

I will tell you that I felt as if I got some of a run around at the dealer, he told me that he ran the furnace and never could get it to limit out. I know this is BS as it has done it every cycle it has ran since I picked it up. But he found these problems and corrected them. I do construction work and work on most of my things myself , so when I told him I stood outside and listened to the furnace do this time and time again I know what Im talking about.
    This dealership seems to busy and overwhelmed . And they seem to not know what to do about it. I really dont think what they did is going to cure the problem , but we will see. I find it hard to believe that everyone has a duct work problem. I think that the furnace isnt getting enough return air and its a fix they dont want to spend the time on.

I found out there is a Grand Design dealer near Abilene Kansas thats about the same distance for me , so if I still have a problem I will probably go there after my experience. Good luck!
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had problems with our furnace in our 337 also. Having bought it in Abilene at 4 Acres we took it there for service. It took quite some time for Atwood to get the part to them but the fix was quick once they got the part. Ours wouldn't blow heat out, just attempt repeatedly to ignite unsuccessfully while the fan was running. I cannot remember what the part was, but apparently the furnace is such a new model that spare parts aren't readily available. We are anxious to start camping again and test the furnace out thoroughly. My husband spent several hours in it at the dealership after the repair was done and reported that it worked perfectly post-repair. We're hoping that continues. We did learn however that the fireplace puts out some really nice heat. Handy to have when the furnace was down and we were fall camping. Best of luck with your repairs.
    Happy Kansans .... DeWayne & Benita
    and one crazy little ShihPoo puppy named Olive Ann
    2015 Reflection 337
    2017 Ford F350 Super Duty SRW

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the duct work is kinked or crushed it surely will make the furnace overheat and limit out.

We tell people all the time to not restrict the air at the exit ducts because it makes the furnace do the same thing. (people like to block ducts or put in the closing grates)

They are set for a certain amount of airflow...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to be a 337 problem. I can understand the duct problem but, if it takes a min or two to cool down after the heat cycle how does a ten second or so shutdown mid-cycle cool it enough to relight? That also does not address the loud rumble and vibration when it is heating. I will be curious as to GDs answer. Oh, I also got the shrug shoulders reply at the dealership.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
    Chilly,

I took it to the dealer last Friday. The service tech said he would look into the problem of why the furnace was limiting out. After several hours he called me and said that there were several of the flex ducts with sharp bends and one almost crushed flat under the floor. He said that the restricted air flow would cause the furnace to over heat and "limit out". I have not had a chance to test it yet. Iam going to Nebraska around the 20th so will have to wait until then.

I will tell you that I felt as if I got some of a run around at the dealer, he told me that he ran the furnace and never could get it to limit out. I know this is BS as it has done it every cycle it has ran since I picked it up. But he found these problems and corrected them. I do construction work and work on most of my things myself , so when I told him I stood outside and listened to the furnace do this time and time again I know what Im talking about.
    This dealership seems to busy and overwhelmed . And they seem to not know what to do about it. I really dont think what they did is going to cure the problem , but we will see. I find it hard to believe that everyone has a duct work problem. I think that the furnace isnt getting enough return air and its a fix they dont want to spend the time on.

I found out there is a Grand Design dealer near Abilene Kansas thats about the same distance for me , so if I still have a problem I will probably go there after my experience. Good luck!
    Hi @concreteman,

Thanks for sending me your 17-digit RV VIN and contact information -- my understanding is that JD in our Customer Support will be contacting you to discuss.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chilly,

I have to agree this is either a 337 problem or a atwood problem. I was contacted by JD from the factory today but he didnt have much to say except he would make a note that it was in for service. He had no reply when I said I thought it may be a return air problem. Im very happy that the factory has contact with us , but they dont have much to say when they contact you. I cant help but wonder why after this many models with this problem they dont know what the problem is. The dealer said they had another unit in that was doing the same thing. Good luck.

PS, My wife is from Barre VT
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cilly,

I also have noticed that is very loud and vibrates ALOT! I also told them about this at the dealership and asked them if maybe we could isolate the furnace from the floor with something ? I got no response about this either, except that it didnt seem to bad to them. Im a little more mechanicaly inclined then the average buyer maybe thats what makes me angry when I get that look like I dont know what Im talking about. I dont expect special treatment , I just want things fixed right and for people to act in a professional manner. I have noticed that professionalism is lacking throught the RV industry. I think Grand Design is trying to change this but their dealer network is sure to put this in jepordy.
    Reflection 337
    2012 F-250 26,000 miles
    2015 F-250 46,000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast