User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowstone 2021

Planning on taking a trip to Yellowstone next summer. Found a nice campground near Cody Wyoming that I was thinking of using as a base campground. For those of you that have been through Cody do you think it's too far from Yellowstone? Would like to see most of Yellowstone, plan on probably staying 6-7 days, but now I'm just wondering if Cody isn't too far outside yellowstone. Don't really want to drag the camper through yellowstone either. Thanks for any suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay shooter View Post
    Planning on taking a trip to Yellowstone next summer. Found a nice campground near Cody Wyoming that I was thinking of using as a base campground. For those of you that have been through Cody do you think it's too far from Yellowstone? Would like to see most of Yellowstone, plan on probably staying 6-7 days, but now I'm just wondering if Cody isn't too far outside yellowstone. Don't really want to drag the camper through yellowstone either. Thanks for any suggestions
    That's a bit of drive if go during their busy season. The traffic gets heavy around the entrances. There are couple threads here on the forum regarding West Yellowstone. There is a couple campgrounds in town that put you near the west entrance which I've been told is less busy in the summer. We came across 90 to Bozeman and down 191. We enjoyed base camping in West Yellowstone. We did white water rafting in Big Sky up 191 and did things in West Yellowstone to break up going into the park everyday.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we did Yellowstone we stayed at a park outside of the park, Marcy could tell you which one. We ran into the lineups to get in the first day, about 2 or 3 miles long.After that we were in the park by 6am. That was great. We got to see some of the highest tourist spots with hardly anyone else around. Like old faithful with being able to park right up front and maybe 10 people. We were even able to talk to the ranger there one on one and learn a lot. We then went to the restaurant for breakfast and get right in and have a seat. We enjoyed that so much going early we did that every day.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely Cody is too far and on the wrong side of the park.

As another poster said - check out the West Yellowstone posts. Or at least other Yellowstone posts.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Absolutely Cody is too far and on the wrong side of the park.

As another poster said - check out the West Yellowstone posts. Or at least other Yellowstone posts.
    Thanks for the reply, can you elaborate on why Cody is on the wrong side of the park? We will be coming from the east that's why I thought that Cody would be a good place to set up camp. Can you recommend any campgrounds that have full hookups that would be closer to the park? A lot of the ones that I have found don't offer much for hookups
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the popular geysers and sights seem to be on the west and north side. So you’d end up not only driving to the east gate, you’d have to work your way through the park. The traffic is heavy and it’s a long way.

Check out west Yellowstone for campgrounds. It is closer to the sights. There are plenty of ok campgrounds there. At least as good as Cody.

Spend a day driving from Cody to W Yellowstone, set up camp, enjoy 3 or 4 days exploring the park.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, can you elaborate on why Cody is on the wrong side of the park? We will be coming from the east that's why I thought that Cody would be a good place to set up camp. Can you recommend any campgrounds that have full hookups that would be closer to the park? A lot of the ones that I have found don't offer much for hookups
    Thanks
    Making Base camp in West Yellowstone, MT gives you several campgrounds with full hookups. It also gives you a good entry to the park. There is Grizzly Campground and 2 KOA's just outside the park.
    At this time there is no full hookups within the park. Fishing Bridge, which is in the park has full hookups but it is currently closed for renovations and not due to open till mid 2021 and may get further pushed back with it's open date due to COVID-19.

Cody isn't on the wrong side of the park. It's far from most of the parks features. Also the travel is most difficult.

If you are coming from the east you will likely come across 80 then up 191, then up through the park. Going this way can stop or stay at the Tetons. Many would recommend on NOT missig out on this park since you are already there.
    If you want to get right to base camp, most people go around the park via Utah to West Yellowstone MT, unless you wish to adventure into the park with your RV.
    The other alternative is 80 then up through SD and up and over the park, through Montana.

This link has a wealth of information, 2020 Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook: 2020, it's got more info in it than you could imagine.
    The roads and trail section will let you know what type of drive to expect.
    The Welcome, Park Facts, and Frequently Asked Questions is a great place to start.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/resources-and-issues.htm
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    Making Base camp in West Yellowstone, MT gives you several campgrounds with full hookups. It also gives you a good entry to the park. There is Grizzly Campground and 2 KOA's just outside the park.
    At this time there is no full hookups within the park. Fishing Bridge, which is in the park has full hookups but it is currently closed for renovations and not due to open till mid 2021 and may get further pushed back with it's open date due to COVID-19.

Cody isn't on the wrong side of the park. It's far from most of the parks features. Also the travel is most difficult.

If you are coming from the east you will likely come across 80 then up 191, then up through the park. Going this way can stop or stay at the Tetons. Many would recommend on NOT missig out on this park since you are already there.
    If you want to get right to base camp, most people go around the park via Utah to West Yellowstone MT, unless you wish to adventure into the park with your RV.
    The other alternative is 80 then up through SD and up and over the park, through Montana.

This link has a wealth of information, 2020 Yellowstone Resources and Issues Handbook: 2020, it's got more info in it than you could imagine.
    The roads and trail section will let you know what type of drive to expect.
    The Welcome, Park Facts, and Frequently Asked Questions is a great place to start.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/resources-and-issues.htm
    Agree 100%

And

Learned something today.

I spent two weeks in West Yellowstone and didn’t realize it was in Montana not Wyoming

We stayed at the west gate KOA. So so experience. Sites were up on a hill. When we go back we will stay at Grizzly. We drove through it and different vibe than the KOA but was less expensive and appeared nicer however more crowded feeling.

I liked the town of West Yellowstone. Touristy but like 1970s touristy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just hoping for the best with our trip to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Jackson Hole mid August into September holiday.
    Concerned that they may close the parks.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank