Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered my 2021 GD Momentum G-Class 350G

Hello all,
    I just ordered my GD Momentum 350G. I've been through numerous threads and I've seen very little on actual pin weight and TV's individuals are using to tow a rig like this. My rig will have the ONAN 5500 gen, 3rd AC, 3 seasons doors, patio deck with rear awning, happi jack system, rear patio steps, slide-out toppers and the second awning. I will be traveling with my wife and a 6 pound fur baby and looking to utilize the B&W Companion hitch RVK3300. In the garage, I'll have an assortment of tools and my Can Am Renegade 850 roughly 1k lbs. I have not purchased a tow vehicle yet and yes my #1 choice as of now is the Ford F-450 CC, although I would really rather have an F-350 CC SRW due to manueverability. The payload of the F-350 SRW would be approx. 3500lbs. Please if you all would, post pics of your rig and detail the weights that you are seeing on the pin both loaded and unloaded. Thank you all in advance and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the post of how great GD is as a company and how many have modded/added to their rigs.
    Tony

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantca View Post
    Hello all,
    I just ordered my GD Momentum 350G. I've been through numerous threads and I've seen very little on actual pin weight and TV's individuals are using to tow a rig like this. My rig will have the ONAN 5500 gen, 3rd AC, 3 seasons doors, patio deck with rear awning, happi jack system, rear patio steps, slide-out toppers and the second awning. I will be traveling with my wife and a 6 pound fur baby and looking to utilize the B&W Companion hitch RVK3300. In the garage, I'll have an assortment of tools and my Can Am Renegade 850 roughly 1k lbs. I have not purchased a tow vehicle yet and yes my #1 choice as of now is the Ford F-450 CC, although I would really rather have an F-350 CC SRW due to manueverability. The payload of the F-350 SRW would be approx. 3500lbs. Please if you all would, post pics of your rig and detail the weights that you are seeing on the pin both loaded and unloaded. Thank you all in advance and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the post of how great GD is as a company and how many have modded/added to their rigs.
    Tony
    Following, This is my exact setup i will be ordering in Feb or March
    2019 Ford F-350 Lariat Diesel CC SB SRW, payload 3680
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233
    Next Year - Reflection 340RDS

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a 16800 GVWR trailer, same as my Solitude. 20-23% of that on the pin is 3300-3800 pounds pin weight, add in the hitch weight propane batteries stuff in the bed etc and you're going to be well over the payload rating on a SRW truck. Just my opinion but you'd be much better off with a dually and if you go that route the 450 is a no brainer. Good luck and enjoy the new rig!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    That's a 16800 GVWR trailer, same as my Solitude. 20-23% of that on the pin is 3300-3800 pounds pin weight, add in the hitch weight propane batteries stuff in the bed etc and you're going to be well over the payload rating on a SRW truck. Just my opinion but you'd be much better off with a dually and if you go that route the 450 is a no brainer. Good luck and enjoy the new rig!
    Here is my question with that blanket calculation. Sure generally across all fifth wheels 20-23% is a good estimate for hitch weight, but toy haulers are a special breed of fifth wheel. They have fuel tanks (usually behind the axle) and you could put like 1500 lbs of toys on and behind the axle. Due to physics and the teeter totter effect, the hitch weight is not going to increase in those scenarios. I don't think that the actually pin weight is nearly that high. I bet loaded with fuel in the tanks and a rzr or toys in the back you are probably around 3000, but i would to have someone post actual numbers from a CAT scale
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotime4 View Post
    Here is my question with that blanket calculation. Sure generally across all fifth wheels 20-23% is a good estimate for hitch weight, but toy haulers are a special breed of fifth wheel. They have fuel tanks (usually behind the axle) and you could put like 1500 lbs of toys on and behind the axle. Due to physics and the teeter totter effect, the hitch weight is not going to increase in those scenarios. I don't think that the actually pin weight is nearly that high. I bet loaded with fuel in the tanks and a rzr or toys in the back you are probably around 3000, but i would to have someone post actual numbers from a CAT scale
    I agree 100% that a toy hauler loaded heavy in the rear could lower the pin weight some, the 20-23% is just an average rule of thumb for any type fifth wheel, toy hauler or conventional fifth wheel. Even if we lower it to 18% you're at 3000 pounds which doesn't leave much room for people and cargo in the bed. GD list the empty pin weight for that trailer at 2600 pounds. The Onan adds almost 300 pounds right up front. Add 2 batteries and 2 propane bottles and it adds up fast. That 1000 lb Can Am in the garage may take 100-200 pounds off the pin but it's still pretty borderline for a SRW.
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thank you all for the info. I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking up a F-450.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the info. I’m pretty sure I’ll be picking up a F-450.
    My dad just picked up a GMC Denali 350 loaded srw and payload is 3810 pounds
    2018 Rockwood Roo 233

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered my 2020 F-450 Lariat CC with tons of bells and whistles. Should be here around the same time as my GD Momentum 350G. They should pair well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered my 2020 F-450 Lariat CC with tons of bells and whistles. Should be here around the same time as my GD Momentum 350G. They should pair well.
    Nice! You will love it I'm sure, the turning radius is amazing.
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m very excited. I’ve done tons of research and from what I’ve read and heard from others the F-450 is an exceptional rig. Now I don’t have to worry about payload or tow capacity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast