User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exclamation Ford 7.3 gasser with 700 HP and 750 Ft.lbs.

Ford's 7.3-liter "Godzilla" Super Duty engine has proven to be incredibly mod-friendly so far, even making north of 600 horsepower without any forced induction. It was only a matter of time, though, until someone built a blower kit for the mighty V8 and the results are, as you'd expect, pretty stout. The tuning gurus at Whipple have developed a 3.0-liter supercharger that fits atop the big-block engine, making around 700 horsepower at the flywheel while upping the torque rating to 750 pound-feet.

That's not too shabby considering the power plant's stock output sits at 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet. What's more, all this grunt is available lower in the rev range thanks to the twin-screw supercharger that produces around eight pounds of boost. Whipple also offers a 132-millimeter throttle body that increases airflow to the lump's intake.

SVT Performance got a sneak peek at the Whipple in its prototype form and posted photos online for the Blue Oval world to see. While the testers built to this point have all been made of billet metal, production examples are expected to be cast aluminum.

As we've seen before, the 7.3-liter has massive potential once it gains room to breathe. Fettle with the heads, add an upgraded cam, and voila—you've got a colossal performance engine ready to drop into whatever project you might be working on.

The "Godzilla" does, in fact, fit under the hood of a Fox-Body Mustang, and it's actually 4.5 inches narrower than a 5.0-liter Coyote. This is a major plus for anyone considering a drag build featuring the new-for-2020 engine, though it likely wouldn't be the cheapest route to take. Still yet, there's no denying how impressive this unit is in go-fast applications, especially since it was developed for heavy-duty trucks.

Should you decide to keep the engine under the hood of your F-Series pickup, like most will, there's no need to worry about the 10-speed automatic keeping up. Whipple simultaneously developed a suite of transmission tuning tech that bolsters the 10R140's calibration while retaining tow/haul, off-road, and eco modes. The gearbox's underpinnings are already strong and have held up to eight-second quarter-mile runs in the light-duty F-150 configuration, which wears the 10R80 nameplate.

Pricing for the 3.0-liter Whipple kit is undisclosed at the moment, though interested customers can reach out to the company for more details in regards to their specific build. The kit is in late-development at present, though the aftermarket company intends to roll out certified production models in the coming months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	message-editor_1585751752428-whipplegodzillaprototype.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	27626

* Copied from THIS article *
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's definitely going to be a great engine for Ford and the muscle car/ engine swapper crowd is already drooling over it. Being an OHV design it's a perfect swap motor, it will be a GM LS motor for the Ford guys.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    That's definitely going to be a great engine for Ford and the muscle car/ engine swapper crowd is already drooling over it. Being an OHV design it's a perfect swap motor, it will be a GM LS motor for the Ford guys.
    I’m picturing it (with the supercharger) in a Ford Focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I’m picturing it (with the supercharger) in a Ford Focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol definitely a religious experience when you floor it!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is, how will it perform towing? Also does anyone know if the drivetrain components for the SuperDuty's are any different for the gas vs diesel versions? Since we're all towing fairly heavy, it would be good to know that if the capabilities of the motor were bumped up, that the drivetrain could take it.

And then there's the question of the durability of the gas motor itself if the hp and torque were increased for towing.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this and it intrigues me. I had a '92 Z71 silverado years ago with a built 383 stroker and a Procharger setup. That truck could haul the mail! I built another truck similar to mine for a customer with the exception that I installed a Whipple SC on that one and was really impressed by it. I've been thinking of adding a SC to my Tundra as well. I do like some boost in my life and I've been eyeing Fords new 7.3 and have been wondering how it'll respond with some boost. The drivetrain should be plenty strong on the super duty trucks to handle a SC'd 7.3.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent an email last week to Whipple. Response back was we are still in development and we will be getting it CARB certified before it goes public.
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I complain about the gas my blown LSX drinks...till I mash the fun pedal!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania