Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s my best power options.

I have a power question for the group. We have a 2017 374th, 90% of our stays will be at military bases, state parks, national parks, and private campgrounds. Our boon-docking will mostly be at AMA dual sport and adventure motorcycle events, which will be at most (3) nights, and with an occasional night at Walmart parking lot on a few long travel days.

My unit does not have the 5500 Onan propane generator.

Q1. While boon-docking at ride events, using a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator on propane, will the (2) 30 pound propane tanks be enough to last three nights running the generator (8) hours a day?

Q2. While stopping overnight at a Walmart, how many batteries would I need to run(1) AC unit for (5) hours, what type of inverter do I need to add to run the AC unit?

Q3. For this short time of boon-docking, do I need to add solar panels?

Thanks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Diamonds View Post
    I have a power question for the group. We have a 2017 374th, 90% of our stays will be at military bases, state parks, national parks, and private campgrounds. Our boon-docking will mostly be at AMA dual sport and adventure motorcycle events, which will be at most (3) nights, and with an occasional night at Walmart parking lot on a few long travel days.

Q1. While boon-docking at ride events, using a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator on propane, will the (2) 30 pound propane tanks be enough to last three nights running the generator (8) hours a day?

Q2. While stopping overnight at a Walmart, how many batteries would I need to run(1) AC unit for (5) hours, what type of inverter do I need to add to run the AC unit?

Thanks
    Howson's "Electrical Mod -- Feedback Requested" thread may give you some ideas on what's needed.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...back-Requested
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only going to answer Q2 with what I did.
    I installed the Victron 3000 watt inverter charger, with 3 Battle Born 100ah batteries. I also purchased a Small window ac unit from Lowe’s. (There are more “things” to purchase after the initial purchase- like buss bars, battery awitch, T fuse, wire, etc, etc). I also purchased a micro air soft start which after testing my system I did not need. (I will install on my main roof AC unit).
    After ensuring I had 100% battery charge, I disconnected shore power, ( don’t have on board gen). and turned on window ac. No problem turning on at all. Ran unit for one hour and battery charge dropped to 80%. Quick math shows I will get about 4.5 hours (10% reserve).
    I have not done a complete test yet to be 100% accurate on the hours,
    I plan on purchasing another 100ah battery to add to system.
    Also plan on adding solar to supplement charging batteries

There are some good (and some not so good) you tube videos on installing the Victron systems.
    Side note: I used 4-0 wire to hook my batteries to the in inverter/ charger. Because the run was so short I got almost 0 voltage drop. When I flipped battery switch to on, batteries would go into safe mode because of “free flow” of voltage. Battle Born tech said I went overboard on 4-0 and suggested I reduce one of my main cables to 2-0 to provide a little resistance. The workaround is to have Shore Power On and then turn battery switch on.
    If inverter is already on, such as going from campsite to campsite, it is not an issue. Only when “cold starting”.
    Hope this helps

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What’s my best power options.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Diamonds View Post

Thanks
    The champion generator you mentioned doesn’t put out as much power running on propane, I believe it’s only about 2800 W. This would only support one roof air and a few small items not a microwave not the electric water heater or anything that large.
    Running a single roof air for 5 hours off an inverter and batteries would cost about $10k if you went with name brand components and lithium batteries.
    You couldn’t do it using lead acid because it would take too many and you’ll lose your entire pass through to battery storage.
    You are better off running your generator.
    As far as solar goes, (just to support the devices you mentioned) you would need at least 1500 W of solar so add another $2000 to your cost.
    There are folks who can run two or three roof airs all day and night off solar and batteries but they have $20k setups, so it’s possible (and awesome) but pricey.
    Two years ago my $12k solar/lithium setup was considered large and expensive. These days it’s just an average setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 07-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always run until the two propane bottles are empty, and then switch over to gasoline for the balance of your time. That's what's nice about dual fuel inverter generators.