User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likes and dislikes 295RL

We are about ready to pull the trigger on Grand Design 295RL, we been debating between 295RL and 337RLS, the big selling point is my truck at 2020 2500 HD, which I think will pull the 295RL with no issues, but the 337RLS push the payload to the max at 3,300. One issue we have we cannot find one, they are sold out. We are from Middle GA, and our local dealer has one but they are 1,500 more than dealer in North GA, problem is North GA does not have one. but they said they would by mid July. So I am waiting to save $1500.00. Who owns one what are the likes and dislikes? Have you had any major issues/ Will it tow easy with Chevy 2500 HD with max goose neck tow load 18,000 lbs, and payload at 3,300. We looked at several brands of campers, from coachmen, forest river, Jayco to Keystone, and others, What stands out to us is of course the forum and outstanding reviews and customer service, but alsp friends who own them with limited issues. The price point 2021 Grand Design 295RL with Hitch and back up cameras mourned on camper for $44,000 this is to include 7% sales tax and prep fees.

One last question does anyone know of one for sale around middle Ga area for that price let me know.

Thanks

Henry K

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 295rl at the end of may. We have had one camp with it and had one problem with a leak under the bathroom sink when the black water flush was used. We cut our camp short by a day because of a tropical storm. At the time we where comparing the 330 and 295. We pull with a 2020 Silverado 2500 HD. Here is why we chose the 295 over the larger version of the reflection.

1. Cost. The 295 was about 3k cheaper. What we gave up was just a smaller basement storage, smaller bathroom, and fridge. For us it was not worth it.

2. Schwintech slide. I did not want any electronic system that did not also have a manual backup. My old trailer had one huge slide with that system and there was no easy way to retract it. That was the slide system in the bedroom.

3. Tow Weight. I knew my truck could pull the 303/337, but I wanted to stay way below the weight. My goal was to by a trailer at 50% the truck’s max tow.

4. Payload. The hitch weight was about 500 more lbs for the 303 cutting my payload capacity. I did not want that much squat for my truck.

The larger items was just not worth it. One less slide system was a boon to me, one less thing that can break. The 295rl has been a dream pull for me.

We did not like the steps or the cheap faucet in the bathroom. The bathroom is smaller but easily twice the size of my old travel trailer; so still an upgrade.
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 06-29-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks now the issue of finding one for sale in middle ga. I did find one in Fl about 200 miles from me, waiting on the dealer to respond to my offer.. If you dont mind what did you poll ay the 295RL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knipper64 View Post
    Thanks now the issue of finding one for sale in middle ga. I did find one in Fl about 200 miles from me, waiting on the dealer to respond to my offer.. If you dont mind what did you poll ay the 295RL.
    I think auto correct got you. Please clarify.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 295RL that we got in 2018 (at that time they were calling it a 2019 model). We love the space over our previous 5th wheel and the house vs camper feel of the rear living area. We pull it with an F250 gas truck( max gross trailer weight rating of 12,500 lbs) and it pulls fine on flat ground. It goes up hills fine, though not as fast as diesel trucks. My biggest dislike is that as delivered from the factory, there is a lot of wasted space in the basement area behind the felt covered wall that they put in at the factory. I took that out and rebuilt it to give more space along with building in a drawer slide. Our unit is old enough that it does not have the auto level system which would be nice, however, we have yet to decide on spending the $3000 to add that to the unit we have.

We have not been real fans of how bright the light under the awning can be at night, so we currently have parts on the way to change that over and replace the switch to make the light dimmable.

We camped 30 night in both 2018 and 2019 and have 12 in so far in 2020. For the most part, we really enjoy this unit as it is similar to the layout of 2 other campers that friends have, however, it is shorter than either of those campers making it a little easier to maneuver in gas stations and such.

A bit of trivia, you can get 11 people in the camper if it is snowy outside and you do not want to play euchre (4 person card game) outside. We had 2 tables of 4 people each and the other 3 people would be grazing on the food that was laid out all over the kitchen island.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are about ready to pull the trigger on Grand Design 295RL, we been debating between 295RL and 337RLS, the big selling point is my truck at 2020 2500 HD, which I think will pull the 295RL with no issues, but the 337RLS push the payload to the max at 3,300. One issue we have we cannot find one, they are sold out. We are from Middle GA, and our local dealer has one but they are 1,500 more than dealer in North GA, problem is North GA does not have one. but they said they would by mid July. So I am waiting to save $1500.00. Who owns one what are the likes and dislikes? Have you had any major issues/ Will it tow easy with Chevy 2500 HD with max goose neck tow load 18,000 lbs, and payload at 3,300. We looked at several brands of campers, from coachmen, forest river, Jayco to Keystone, and others, What stands out to us is of course the forum and outstanding reviews and customer service, but alsp friends who own them with limited issues. The price point 2021 Grand Design 295RL with Hitch and back up cameras mourned on camper for $44,000 this is to include 7% sales tax and prep fees.

One last question does anyone know of one for sale around middle Ga area for that price let me know.

Thanks

Henry K
    Henry,
    When you say max payload of 3300 is that number from the specs or the sticker on the drivers door jam, the door jam will show what the payload is for your exact truck configuration
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks

Henry K
    Don't let the payload scare you away from the 337. I have the 337 pulling it with a 2018 F250 Diesel. Absolutely no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henry,
    Even though others say it tows fine, just be aware if you have a diesel or if your payload is less than 3300 then you will probably be way over on your payload ratings. You have have to make an informed decision whether you want to tow while exceeding the specs
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRizRV View Post
    Henry,
    Even though others say it tows fine, just be aware if you have a diesel or if your payload is less than 3300 then you will probably be way over on your payload ratings. You have have to make an informed decision whether you want to tow while exceeding the specs
    Mark
    Agree!! Other than pulling the vehicle and having power for going uphill, you also have to consider going down steep grades. We pull our 295 RL with a Ram diesel 2500 and even with the trailer brakes set correctly, using the exhaust brake and down shifting, if we are in an area with steep grades like Colorado or other mountainous areas our brakes start getting a bit hot. That can be a stress inducing experience to say the least.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes and Dislikes 295RL. We bought a 2018 295RL 150 series in October 2019 at a Dealer in Denton, TX. After getting it home and the first camping episode over three nights, a smell permeated throughout. I thought it was the blackwater tank. Draining the tank along with the graywater took care of the issue. We made sure we had enough chemicals in the blackwater tank but it happened again. Did the same draining and adding chemicals the third time did not help. The Ops (Owners) manual didn't offer any clues. Using our natural sniffers, I found the worst smell under the counter where the water basin is in the bathroom.
    Looking up on YouTube it said a one way check valve vent was placed there to help the water drain from the sink. It cost about $13.00 from Home Depot for the check valve and was replaced. Amazing what $13.00 does for smell! Another issue was the Nautilus system. I had water in the basement and couldn't see any leak from the drains. After taking the separator out, and applying water pressure, a line attached to the Nautilus was leaking. Tightening solved that issue, but three others were loose! The storage compartments on each side of the couch had their floors bowed down due to weight so I took a one Inch board using the installed floor for a pattern and also provided extra load bearing under the floor. While doing that I strengthened the side panels of the storage compartments. The biggest issue was the freshwater
    tank dropping out! The cheap, inadequate self-tapping cap screws sheared. Going down a highway with nowhere to pull off due to construction is no fun when dragging the tank. Grand Design did provide the coroplast and tank as goodwill and offered to pay for repair. The issue was no dealer in the area would touch it. I did the work and fortified the supports, added straps and put high tensile bolts and locking nuts on. We like our 295RL but the current issue is the faux leather on the recliners and couch are peeling. We pull with a 2013 F-250 Duramax 6.7l diesel with a 3.55 rear axle ratio and 6 speed tranny. It been up and down 7-8 percent grades with no issue.