Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fan noise when turn on lights

When we turn on the living area lights on our new 337RL a fan comes on down in the basement equipment area. I would not be surprized if there was a fan down there to move Air about, but why would it be activated by the living room area light switch in the power switch cabinet. It is the switch on the far left labeled "ceiling lights". Any other 337 owners out there know if this is normal?

Just picked up our 337 yesterday, boy are we excited. Love it so far and dealer in Boise Idaho ( don't know if I am allowed to use their name) has sure treated us good so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fan you hear is the cooling fan on your converter. It converts shore power tom12 volts dc to power lights and maintain your battery
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LC is correct. Our Reflection 303 does exactly the same thing. I am about to change out all the ceiling lights for LED replacements. It will be interesting to see if the converter still comes on with the ceiling lights.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense that the converter has a fan. But why is it connected to the light switch. Do these ceiling light draw enough juice that that the converter needs to kick up enough to need cooling.
    Last edited by J Weir; 01-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lights draw enough current for the converter to come on to keep the battery charged. When the converter comes on, it's cooling fan comes on. It would not seem that the converter fan is thermally controlled, it just comes on whenever the converter does.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the bulbs in the ceiling light fixtures with LED's from Amazon. You can turn almost every light in our 337 on and now we rarely ever hear the fan run anymore! There were 10 packs of bulbs for about $20. 2 packs almost completely does the inside. I need 1 more pack to do the closet and storage area.
    Sean and Donna Duling
    2015 Reflection 337rls #627
    1996 F-350 CC 4x4 DRW 7.3L
    Ferndale Wa.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Weir View Post
    When we turn on the living area lights on our new 337RL a fan comes on down in the basement equipment area. I would not be surprized if there was a fan down there to move Air about, but why would it be activated by the living room area light switch in the power switch cabinet. It is the switch on the far left labeled "ceiling lights". Any other 337 owners out there know if this is normal?

Just picked up our 337 yesterday, boy are we excited. Love it so far and dealer in Boise Idaho ( don't know if I am allowed to use their name) has sure treated us good so far.
    If you listen real close when you turn on the bath and hall light (for example), you'll hear the converter fan start up, but not run as fast as it does when you turn on all the ceiling lights. Speed of the fan (and the noise level) is determined by the electrical load.

I too was stumped for a minute the first time I heard that fan. It was not as noticeable in my previous 5W/TTs.

K
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the great information. What a great way to learn new things about our fivers.