User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchase 2021 vs 2020 260RD?

My wife and I are getting ready to jump in the pond and get a 260RD. We just got a Ram 2500 and are looking at hitch options (e.g. is a slide hitch helpful?). Does anyone know if there are any differences in the 2020 vs 2021 260RD models? We want to stay at 30 feet to do our favorite campground. Other than getting a longer RV, do any 260RD owners have any regrets or suggestions about this purchase?

Thanks so much for your time. This seems like a really wonderful forum.

warmly,
    glenn

Richmond, VA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 2020 2600rb. Makes a great couples camper.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoying our 2020 260RD so far, like said above, a great couples camper.
    2018 Ram 2500 CTD
    2020 Reflection 260RD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 2020 260RD. I was talking to another owner this weekend and he said the new 2021's have taller kitchen cabinets and the new One control panel. Other than that, I believe they are the same.

just my $.02
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends when it was built.

There can be "old build" tan exteriors, brown interior units, white exterior, gray interior units, and then the newest with taller cabinets, Goodyear tires, etc.

Get what you like. Personally, we preferred the tan interior, brown interior of the older 2020's.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement and helpful info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the encouragement.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWeiner View Post
    My wife and I are getting ready to jump in the pond and get a 260RD. We just got a Ram 2500 and are looking at hitch options (e.g. is a slide hitch helpful?). Does anyone know if there are any differences in the 2020 vs 2021 260RD models? We want to stay at 30 feet to do our favorite campground. Other than getting a longer RV, do any 260RD owners have any regrets or suggestions about this purchase?
    Glenn,

Welcome to the forum. There is a great 260RD group on FB as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/378068352819560. We love the 260RD for the two of us, as other's have said it is the perfect couples camper and for those occasions when kids/grandkids visit you have sleeping options in the folding dinette and even those comfy recliners. We just completed a six week, 4700 mile trip and have zero regrets on the camper. In fact, we are more pleased than ever. We've owned all sorts of trailers from popups, travel trailers from 16' - 27', mini toy-hauler, and even a beautiful Tiffin 40' motorhome we full-timed in for awhile. This 260RD is just the perfect combo for us and our camping lifestyle. Sure there are things you want to make modifications/additions to, etc., but that is true with all campers.

Regarding hitches, the 260RD has the Turning Point kingpin, you can run it either locked where it doesn't turn at the connection point to the trailer but at the connection point to the hitch in your truck. Or you can run it unlocked and it will swivel at the connection point on the trailer itself. The advantage to running unlocked is that it moves the turning point back 22". That is significant and for many short bed trucks it means you don't need a slider hitch. That is how we run (unlocked) and in our short 6' 4" Ram bed we can easily do full 90 degree turns with no contact with the truck cab. The are two minor disadvantages that I can think of with running unlocked. First, you have to be sure you buy the correct wedge for your hitch that will lock the kingpin in the 5th wheel hitch. If you don't put in the wedge then you'll have it turning at two places and that will be a mess! The second minor disadvantage is that you have to hitch up at the perfect angle to the kingpin/wedge combo or the hitch itself won't lock. At first I found this to be a pain but I've gotten better and can pretty much nail it within 1 or 2 tries, getting to be more often on the first try . The second issue is easily resolve with a little practice, being able to spot when your truck is lined up correctly with the hitch. The first one is easy, checkout the manual I attached from Lippert, it has the recommended wedge based on your hitch. You can use the generic wedge that comes on the Turning Point kingpin but getting the custom one is better. Amazon sold ours. We have the 10k Turning Point on the 260RD by the way. Note that the manual also gives you the process to measure your truck/hitch setup to verify if you can get 90 degrees of turning. For that you'll need to know the 260RD is 96" wide.

Many will recommend the Anderson Ultimate hitch (AUH). I really liked that option too but decided not to go that way because Grand Design and Lippert both told me it would void my frame warranty due to adding the kingpin adapter to the Turning Point that the AUH requires. For me that was a full stop situation but many have gone that way and love it. Anderson does have a separate insurance to cover any damage but I did find two people who had problems getting Anderson to step up when they did have problems. I threw in the towel after that but who knows how legit those 2 were.

I went with the B&W Companion hitch (non-slider) that fits my puck system in the RAM truck. Love the hitch, very easy to hitch up, very positive locking mechanism leaving no doubt you're hitched and super stable. The only drawback is weight, it's a heavy sucker. To do away with that problem I just installed cheapy electric winch on my garage ceiling, lift out the hitch, lower it onto a furniture dolly to move around, super easy, no strain. You can break it down in two parts but the base is still pretty darn heavy.

Regarding the 2020 vs 2021, we got probably one of the last 2020's built (manufacture 2/2020). It looks just like a 2021, I don't think there are any differences in ours and a 2021. We have the tall kitchen cabinets, the newer LCD leveling panel, and ours is white exterior with the lighter tan interior. The only thing we're torn on about the newer look is that the shorter kitchen cabinet design is more appealing to us. However, the taller cabinets really give you a lot of extra usable space, we're glad we have the space but would prefer the look of the shorter cabinets. The newer models, 2020 and 2021, have the single leg dinette, some love, some hate. I like it, I'm a big guy and getting into the u-shaped dinette is easier for me. As long as you tighten the clamps really well it doesn't move much. The newest models also come with a wine rack next to the microwave. We find that pretty useless unless you intend to sit in one place for longer periods of time. Why put in wine bottles and glasses only to take them out when you have to move?? I'm going to take it out and put in a couple of shelves instead.

Finally, I hate to bring up a truck discussion, but just double check that your payload in your 2500 is ok. I opted for a RAM 3500 Turbo Diesel Megacab because it was getting tough to find the right 2500 in the higher trim packages (I like the gadgets in the Limited) that had enough payload capacity. If yours is gas with a shorter cab it may not be any issue at all. For reference, based on folks reported weights I've seen your pin weight will probably be somewhere between 1500-2000 pounds once you're loaded. Add to that any passenger weight, your hitch in the bed of your truck, the tools, that pile of firewood, the generator, the cooler, the dogs, the extra this that and the other thing you throw in your truck and make sure that total weight does not exceed the payload capacity of your truck that is on the label in your driver's side door post.

Good luck and let us know if we can help with anything else!

PS - shoot for at least 30% off MSRP on your negotiations, we got almost 35% MSRP during the Tampa show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ccd-0001724.pdf  
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Berii,

Thanks so much for such a detailed and super helpful response!
    I appreciate the glowing endorsement of the 260RD, and a 47000 mile trip is some pretty impressive experience with it.

The information about the hitches is super helpful!! Glad to know that if I get the Ram B & W companion hitch I won't need the slider option.

I also appreciate your perspective on the level of discount to shoot for.

Your kindness in responding in such a helpful way is really appreciated.

warmly,
    glenn

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWeiner View Post
    Berii,

Thanks so much for such a detailed and super helpful response!
    I appreciate the glowing endorsement of the 260RD, and a 47000 mile trip is some pretty impressive experience with it.

The information about the hitches is super helpful!! Glad to know that if I get the Ram B & W companion hitch I won't need the slider option.

I also appreciate your perspective on the level of discount to shoot for.

Your kindness in responding in such a helpful way is really appreciated.

warmly,
    glenn
    Glenn, you're welcome! Best of luck.
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast