Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude S-Class 3550BH CAT scale weight and towing

I apologize for this post ending up being longer than I anticipated, but I wanted to give details for anyone struggling with the idea of pulling one these units with a 1 ton SRW diesel. I wanted to include the numbers on our previous fifth wheel to give a side by side comparison in towing characteristics.

Our TV is a 2018 F350 CC XLT SRW 6.7 diesel.

The numbers on TV is as follows:
    Fifth wheel towing capacity: 20,600lbs
    Curb weight: 7887lbs
    GVWR: 11,500lbs
    GCWR: 28,700lbs
    Payload Capacity per door sticker: 3,613lbs
    Front Axle ratings per door sticker: 5990lbs
    Rear Axle ratings per door sticker: 7230lbs

Our previous Fifth wheel was a 2015 GD Reflection 317RST. Last year on our way to Myrtle Beach I decided to get weighed. Since we where going on a 14 day trip I knew my DW packed everything but the kitchen sink.

The sticker on the Reflection 317RST
    UVW: 10400lbs
    GVWR: 13995lbs
    Front Axle: 6000lbs
    Rear Axle: 6000lbs

2019 CAT Scale numbers
    Truck without fifth wheel full tank of fuel, hitch, Tonneau cover, tools, etc.
    Steer Axle: 4880lbs
    Drive Axle: 3800lbs
    Trailer Axle: 0lbs
    Gross Weight: 8680lbs
    This left me with 2820lbs of payload capacity

Truck with fifth wheel 317RST
    Steer Axle: 4920lbs
    Drive Axle: 6500lbs
    Trailer Axle: 10000lbs
    Gross Weight: 21420lbs

So based on these numbers my previous fifth wheel weighed in at 12,740lbs with a pin weight of 2,700lbs with a remaining payload of 120lbs. I had plenty of payload remaining on the TV rear axles (730lbs).

I will say my 2018 F350 towed my previous unit with ease unlike my 2008 F350 CC SRW diesel. From Cincinnati, Oh to Myrtle Beach, SC rolling through the Smoky Mountains was nearly effortless with Cruise set at 70mph. The truck dropped down to 5th gear occassionally, but maintained speed nicely. Round trip I averaged 10.36 mpg hand calculated using the fuelly app on my phone.

Fast forward to this year. We did the same exact trip to Myrtle Beach. Based on the UVW of the new unit I packed the 3550BH in a way to try and offset the pin weight. The nice thing about the 3550BH is the large rear storage. This allowed me to relocate almost everything I used to carry in the front basement to the rear basement. The only gear I put in the front basement was my 50amp chord, wheel chocks, leveling boards, bottle jack, 25ft hose, and grill (grill grates stored in the rear basement). There's not much I could do with how the inside was packed. My DW likes to organize stuff her way especially the kitchen area. I did ask that she load cabinets that are located behind the axles with the heavier stuff. (It didn't really work out that way but you can't argue with wife.)

The sticker on the Solitude 3550BH
    UVW: 13114lbs
    GVWR: 16800lbs
    Front Axle: 7000lbs
    Rear Axle: 7000lbs

2020 CAT Scale numbers

Truck without fifth wheel. The truck was loaded identically, full tank, hitch, Tonneau cover, tools, same passengers, (added air bags).
    Steer Axle: 4880lbs
    Drive Axle: 3836lbs
    Trailer Axle: 0lbs
    Gross Weight: 8716lbs
    This left me with 2784lbs of payload capacity

Truck with fifth wheel 3550BH
    Steer Axle: 4840lbs
    Drive Axle: 6800lbs
    Trailer Axle: 12420lbs
    Gross Weight: 24060lbs

So based on these numbers my new fifth wheel weighed in at 15,344lbs with a pin weight of 2,964lbs with a remaining payload of -140 lbs. I had a remaining payload of 430lbs on the TV rear axles. So for big trips I may have to ditch the tonneau cover, and move the tools, king pin stabilizer, and cords to the rear compartment. For long weekend trips, we won't be this heavy.

I installed rear airbags in preperation for the heavier pin weight. Throughout the trip I experimented with how much air I really needed and came to the conclusion 24psi (cold) is perfect!

Towing characteristics was amazingly not much different then our previous unit. Yes, I could tell I had a heavier/longer unit behind me. Did it take away from my towing experience? No. A little more throttle input was needed climbing the hills and rolling through the Smoky Mountains. On some of the steeper climbs the truck dropped down to 4th gear more frequently, but in no way did the truck struggle. My EGT's, EOT's, ECT's, and Trans temp was pretty much the same as last year. The Solitude S 3550BH tows very smooth even through the roughest roads with the CRE3000. Round trip I averaged 8.66 mpg hand calculated using the fuelly app on my phone. So I did lose 1.7 mpg but let's face it, I can't expect the same fuel economy being 2,604lbs heavier not to mention the Solitude has a larger profile then the Reflection.

I know the weight police will get on me about being 140 lbs over my payload, but I really don't want a dually right now. My truck is my daily driver. I suppose I could ditch the B&W slider hitch which would put me within my payload, but I love my B&W hitch and am thankful for the slider. Having a slider takes the stress out of maneuvering in and out of tight spots (especially at the Beach). I hope this information was helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	930.2 KB 
ID:	27659
    The day I brought her home. 5psi in the air bags.

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	27660
    On the way to Myrtle Beach. 21psi cold in the air bags. 38psi at operating temps.

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	27661
    Gotta love the truck stops. Easy in/Ease out

Name:	IMG_2027.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	27662

Name:	IMG_2028.jpg 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	27663
    Thank goodness for the slider hitch. Narrow road with lots of vehicles parked along the edge of the road.
    Last edited by hlozano; 06-30-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also want to add if anyone is curious about the Beech Lane Camper Levelers it saved my butt. When I backed into my site the one side sunk about 3 inches into the sand. Getting that side back up was a breeze with these levelers. I did put boards under the levelers to give them a wider base for the sand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	27664

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	27665
    Last edited by hlozano; 06-30-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice write up and you know your numbers, thats 80% of the research. A lot of folks do not understand the math. Looks like your at Pirateland. Love it there. You need to check out Willowtree RV Resort in Longs, SC. Near N. Myrtle.

Gary
    2019 Ford F350 Dually
    2020 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOWLERGK View Post
    Nice write up and you know your numbers, thats 80% of the research. A lot of folks do not understand the math. Looks like your at Pirateland. Love it there. You need to check out Willowtree RV Resort in Longs, SC. Near N. Myrtle.

Gary
    You are correct. We were at Pirateland. We usually stay at Myrtle Beach Travel park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up. Thanks for putting the time in. We had a similar situation - reflection 28Bh to the solitude 3550bh with a ‘17 f350 SRW SB 6.7. Our f350 payload capacity was a bit lower than yours, and the solitude has the Onan, so we decided to move to an f450 (love that turning radius). Clearly we would have been even more over payload rating.
    Last edited by heritagesb; 07-11-2020 at 10:21 AM.