User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See through shades???.....Why GD??

We own a 2019 Transcend 26RLS and we love it except for the fact the shades don't provide the any real privacy. At night when its dark outside you can easily see inside of the trailer. The pleated blinds are a black mesh material that don't hide much. During the day you don't notice how see through they are, but at night its another story. Now at night we feel as though we are on display, especially in some of the really tight campgrounds. We noticed this after our first few camping trips, so I cut out cardboard inserts to block the bedroom and bathroom windows, but that isn't a real long term solution. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Is there any way to to make them less see through without replacing them? I looked into replacing all 8 shades and its crazy expensive.

We have a friends that also have GD trailers (Reflection and Imagine) and their shades are not see thru, so I assume GD only installed these on their cheaper lines. I'm guessing to save a few dollars. Frankly, it might have been a deal killer had we known noticed the see through shades before we purchased.

Why would Grand Design use these blinds on a trailer?

Signed,

Considering selling!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's what a large percentage of manufacturers are using.

The pleated shades that are in Transcends are the "night" shade portion of the dual "day/night" shades. They are the actual thicker shade portion. Now that most rv's use heavily tinted windows, the "day" portion (thin mesh sunscreen) has gone away.

Newer E Reflections and Imagines have solid material roller shades. The pleated versions on older models are the same as Transcend.

They look thinner at night because they are back lit by the interior lights.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was THE first I noticed when we started looking to buy. Not a deal breaker for us though.

For us, we like dark in the morning. Plus, I wanted a way to help insulate the windows, even though we ordered our TT with double pane windows. Oh, and those (to me) ugly valances had to go.

Removed valances, made my own curtains, backed them with blackout material and hung them like I would in a house. For us, it just made it more of a "home" feel. We FT, so for us, that was important.

It really depends on what you want, like, need. And how far you're willing to modify what's there. (Older picture, but gives you the idea of what was done)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM20181130_143621.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	27666

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s sadly disappointing. You could choose to do everything in the dark, but it might get messy, especially in the bathroom. You might try hemming up pieces of material the same size as the window shades. If I needed to do this, I’d attach them right to the shades using disc magnets front/back (room side, window side). In the morning, the magnets would live on the front of the fridge. Easy, no holes, screws, mounting brackets, and no permanent alterations to your trailer!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree the mesh is on the thicker side, but you can still see through it, which makes it virtually useless. My friends Imagine 2250RK has pleated shades that you can't see through and its what we thought we were getting. The bottom line is my wife no longer feels comfortable in the trailer and neither do it I.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    That was THE first I noticed when we started looking to buy. Not a deal breaker for us though.

For us, we like dark in the morning. Plus, I wanted a way to help insulate the windows, even though we ordered our TT with double pane windows. Oh, and those (to me) ugly valances had to go.

Removed valances, made my own curtains, backed them with blackout material and hung them like I would in a house. For us, it just made it more of a "home" feel. We FT, so for us, that was important.

It really depends on what you want, like, need. And how far you're willing to modify what's there. (Older picture, but gives you the idea of what was done)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SM20181130_143621.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	27666

Those curtains are very nice! Curtains are definitely an option.

I could be wrong but it seems like GD and many of the other trailer manufacturers seem to cut costs with little thought about the ramifications. Like installing privacy shades that don't offer any privacy or installing cheap Chinese tires that have a high failure rate. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Those curtains are very nice! Curtains are definitely an option.
    Thanks! Here's with them open. We really didn't lose any window. But again, for us, it works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200630_094953.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	27670

Added another pic ([emoji849] excuse my mess)
    Attachment 27671
    Last edited by theburgerts; 06-30-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Thanks! Here's with them open. We really didn't lose any window. But again, for us, it works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200630_094953.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	27670

Added another pic ([emoji849] excuse my mess)
    Attachment 27671

Lynette,
    I was busy writing my post when yours went up. With mine following, it sounds as if I’m criticizing your work! That was not my intent. I think your draperies (too nice to call them curtains) are a beautiful and efficient addition. You’re right, they make the space look much more home-like and cozy. Looks like an original Airstream (minus the Danish Modern).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Lynette,
    I was busy writing my post when yours went up. With mine following, it sounds as if I’m criticizing your work! That was not my intent.
    Lol... oh, I knew that. But in today's world, I appreciate it.

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ole vinyl, room darkening shades work just fine in a camper too... We had the see-through pleated shades in our Heritage Glen. I had one of the online makers do up shades for it. They were actually fabric-faced vinyl, which were way more attractive than the factory pleats, and we went with the chain cord operation for infinite adjustment. I did all the windows for the cost of way two RV day-night shades cost! They regularly run sales at the online makers.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast