Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transfer Switch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transfer Switch

I just picked up a 2017 388M this past weekend.

The dealer said the generator kept "coming on and off" the control panel inside so they disconnected it and put in a manual start/stop switch.

In the bag of documentation, there is a document about a Surge Guard transfer switch that will start the generator 30 seconds after losing shore power.

I'm sure this capability was disabled when they installed the manual generator start/stop switch.

Before I contact the dealer, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this.
    Tim & Barb
    2021 25G
    2021 Ford F-350

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you read that wrong. The transfer switch doesnt start the generator. There could be an issue with the generator genie control module. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-173905_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	27684

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTNOW, so is it saying that after the generator has started, 30 seconds later the switch moves switches the RV to use the generator power?

And then the switch switches back to shore power when it is available and the generator is shut down?
    Tim & Barb
    2021 25G
    2021 Ford F-350

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's correct. If you have generator and shore power running, generator power will take precedence and that will be providing power to the RV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timurray2000 View Post
    I just picked up a 2017 388M this past weekend. The dealer said the generator kept "coming on and off" the control panel inside so they disconnected it and put in a manual start/stop switch. In the bag of documentation, there is a document about a Surge Guard transfer switch that will start the generator 30 seconds after losing shore power. I'm sure this capability was disabled when they installed the manual generator start/stop switch. Before I contact the dealer, I just want to make sure I'm understanding this.
    Approach further contact with the dealer with caution. They don't seem to be either competent or honest.

You may need to contact Grand Design directly, keep them apprised of dealer action or inaction. Sometimes an owner is better off asking Grand Design to pay for a mobile technician to come and properly fix a problem rather than having an incompetent and/or lazy dealer do it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to be a downer but the dealer should have fixed what was wrong and not bypassed the auto start. Especially on a new unit.

If on good shore power then the generator should never start automatically.

If on shore power and the generator starts then somehow the rig lost shore power long enough for whatever automatic start device decides the generator should run. And then, if it really is a smart start device it should shut the generator off when there is adequate shore power.

There is a bit of trouble shooting involved deciding if shore power is good or not and whether the surge guard device is shutting down shore power for some reason. I'd expect the surge guard device to post some kind of code if it automatically shuts down the shore power.

And then there is the case of the smart generator starting device being enabled. There is usually bypass for that via some setting thus not allowing the generator not to start until you command it.

whewwwww....... so much too consider....

I think a call to GD is in order along with lining up a dependable service provider.

like I said - I hate to be a downer. But I'm cheering for you and hoping you get this straightened out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods